Ateca Design Fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
tobydog

Re: Ateca Design Fault

Post by tobydog » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Now why couldn't SEAT think of that. Looks a clean job. The only thing you need to be careful of is that you don't know whether SEAT might reject a corrosion claim if it turns out it was as a result of the modification. I reckon they are fully aware of the trap and maybe fairly happy that it won't actually cause corrosion even if the build up of crud does look pretty ugly. My current 5 year Mitsubishi has a bad crud trap inside the back wheel arch where damp mud can sit for months in the winter. Despite thin metal and stupidly thin paint, there is no corrosion. An annual body check (signed off) is part of the corrosion warranty.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Cupcakecresta

Post by Cupcakecresta » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:41 pm

That's a tidy job W19KED!
2.0 4wd xcellence lava blue seat sound and space saver tyre, foot wavey boot opener, top camera, protection pack, heated windscreen :D

David1972

Post by David1972 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:56 pm

nifty fix
On order with lease company 11/05/17; original projected delivery date 15/10/17; now 30/11/17 :x in stock on 3/11/17, delivered 15/11/17 with 8 miles on the clock! - 1.4TSI DSG Excellence in Lava Blue, Heated Windscreen, Double Boot Floor

Tell

Post by Tell » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:28 am

If I have correctly read this you have filled the area with Halford's windscreen sealant.

On that bottom area I wasn't too sure whether that was a drainage channel or what, whether a drain for internal water in the door or what it's purpose was in the fabrication of the door. Weird the way it has that gap in it. Perhaps it's there to drain the water they know will get in by putting the door into the wheel arch ;). Filling it means any water that gets in via the side has nowhere to go.

Interested to hear how things go. I might pass on this mod. I can see people driving through slurry daily could get irritated with this Ateca feature.
Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Rodium Grey, 19", Heated Windscreen, Navigation Plus, Seat sound, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack - on the road

W19KED

Post by W19KED » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:28 pm

I used Granville Multi - Purpose Silicone Sealant from Halfords, not windscreen sealant. The channels are formed due to the way the black plastic trim attaches to the door panel. If the Ateca didn't have the trim along the lower section of the door, the problem wouldn't be nearly as bad. Any water will now simply run off on to the road plus the elongated drain holes along the top edge and lower edge of the trim are still clear. As far as the warranty is concerned, usually manufacturers give a ten or twelve year anti perforation warranty which covers the vehicle from perforation coming from the inside of the panels, so they would probably just wriggle their way out of this anyway. If the vehicle does eventually suffer a problem with corrosion in this area, I'll just remove the sealant before taking it to the dealer!

Deleted User 702

Post by Deleted User 702 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:55 pm

I see this problem is also mentioned on a Spanish forum.
The suggested fix on their forum is a strip of draught excluder
https://www.clubseatateca.com/temas/pro ... 406/page-8

W19KED

Post by W19KED » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:18 am

Very interesting, and Seat say that they are not aware of the problem. Yeah right!

Nomos

Post by Nomos » Tue May 09, 2017 10:08 am

This reminds me of an issue with my 2010 Yeti (one of the first built).

The rear doors are very similar to the design the Ateca, whilst I never noticed the ingress of dirt as described ( mainly town driving) what did happen was a "peppering " of the paint work on the lower rear doors from debris thrown up from the wheels.

This was particularly noticeable as my car was metallic black. Eventually Skoda recognised this as a design fault and fitted later Yetis with clear plastic protectors on the lower rear doors.

In my case ( and for others) this issue was rectified under warranty resulting in repainting the damaged areas and plastic covers fitted as described above.

I do not think that Atecas are fitted with any protection on the rear doors and would suggest owners bear this in mind and look out for any potential paint damage in this area.

Nomos

kee

Post by kee » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Hi, just looking at my car, looks like there is an extra bit of protection now?

Screenshot_20170709-233424.png

Ordered 22/4; BW 22; collected 25/6! 1.4 SE-T DSG, Bila, s/roof, pwr boot, lower grill, rear cam, park assist, boot flr, conv pack, disco leds, tinted rears

i.e. an Xcellence with nicer wheels and minus the "old man" leather (per my missus)

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:15 am

Yes, I had noticed that, however, the dirt and grit trap still exists at the bottom of the door. That's still open to the elements so not sure what the extra rubber strip actually achieves.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D