Rain- sensing automatic wipers

Faults and Technical chat for the Seat Ateca
MGDisco

Rain- sensing automatic wipers

Post by MGDisco » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:33 am

So, I picked up the Ateca yesterday and went over the controls with the salesman handing over the car. One point that was went over very quickly was the wiper operation - as it is so standard these days, did not think to question the automatic operation.

Anyway, driving the car home and looking at the stalk i was a bit concerned with the wording so read the manual last night. It appears that the normal stalk has the flick down wipe, off, int, 1st speed, 2nd speed. That's what mine has got. So far so good. Then, the next page shows that for the rain sensor activation, there is a rocker switch at the end of the stalk. Press up and the wipers will always be on auto. That's where mine deviates as the rocker switch isn't present....

Another query on this is in the setup menu, under mirrors and wipers, there is a setting for the wipers to operate with the rain sensor. Mine has that, and it is ticked.

So my query is, do I have the automatic operation of the wipers - or not?

What do others have on the stalk / in the settings that own the Excellence model? I understand that as the convenience pack is the standard fitment on the Xcellence model it should have the rain-sensing wipers? Do you have the rocker switch - if not, how do the wipers activate in the rain?

This morning, with the water on the windscreen, the int wipe does seem to be only that - once clear, they kept going, not switching off, so I suspect I don't have auto operation.

Mike
Xcellence 190 DSG 4 drive, Lava Blue with standard 18" (Performance), Navigation System Plus Pack, XCELLENCE Pack, Heated Windscreen, Advanced Comfort & Driving Plus Pack

Fred99

Re: Rain- sensing automatic wipers

Post by Fred99 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:53 am

The manual shows a rocker switch at the end of the stalk. That seems to be for accessing the MFD displays and is nothing to do with the wipers and as you found is not present on all models.

There is a small switch on the top of the lever. On manual wipers, this controls the speed of the speed of the intermittent wipe. On auto models it controls the auto sensitivity. On either system the lever has to be pressed forward one click from the off position to activate the intermittent wipe (either in manual or sensor mode).

The manual can be very confusing at times as it has to cater for a myriad of options which may or may not be present on your actual car.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

MGDisco

Post by MGDisco » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:49 am

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your reply. I think that the manual is confusing as it shows the wiper stalk with a button on the end, and the words TRIP next to it (suggesting what you have stated above). However, on the light switch stalk, it has that button too and that one accesses the MFD - as I would expect.

The manual does state you have to activate the rain sensing wipers via the rocker on the end - this is what I don't have on the stalk. I could understand not having it, if the position up from 0 gave the auto function (labelled INT on my stalk) - but using that this morning just gave a normal intermittent wipe, that continued with no moisture on the screen - therefore not using the rain sensor? Adjusting the lever on top to the left just made the interval longer - it still kept going. I switched it back to 0 so as to not damage the wipers.

I'll test it once the rain arrives later today - at least its forecast to arrive, so may find more out about it working then (or not) in rain sensing mode or just an intermittent function.

If others with the Xcellence model can confirm what they do to have the wipers in auto function, I would really appreciate it. I'm wondering if I have a non-auto wipe stalk, if this is the case then I need to talk to the dealer about it.
Xcellence 190 DSG 4 drive, Lava Blue with standard 18" (Performance), Navigation System Plus Pack, XCELLENCE Pack, Heated Windscreen, Advanced Comfort & Driving Plus Pack

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:21 pm

The button on the end of the indicator stalk is only for Driver Assist options, which are displayed on the MFD. The logic is that you can turn them on and off quickly without going to the main screen which would distract you if driving.

My auto wipers work fine. There may be a setting in the Infotainment menu - check that.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

NeilW

Post by NeilW » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Here's a picture of my stalk.

The switch on top of the stalk controls the sensitivity of the automatic wipers. "INT" is when the auto wipers are active.

IMG_20170314_125117372.jpg

1.4 Excellence in Rodium Grey with mud flaps. Collected 21st Jan 2017.

MGDisco

Post by MGDisco » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks Neil,

That is the same as my stalk, the manual is confusing in that it states their is a rocker on the end to activate the rain sensor function. I'll certainly give it a try on way home - rain has come and gone before getting out just now at lunchtime.

Thought this morning uh-oh, no auto wiper? But you have allayed my fear somewhat just now.

Thanks again,

Mike

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:22 pm

The other thing that can be confusing is that when it is not raining, you must leave the lever in the first (intermittent) position rather than in the off position. This can be confused as both positions do nothing until it rains. If you don't do this, they will not switch on when it rains unless you move it to the intermittent position.

You need to remember to do this after you have used the lever for a quick wash/wipe.

MGDisco

Post by MGDisco » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Have been out at lunchtime - on way back, it did rain. The INT position does as Neil and Fred have suggested - the auto function does work, controlling the sensitivity with the lever on top.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Jonny

Post by Jonny » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:47 pm

I agree that the manual isn't t very clear.

I had a similar experience when I went to look around my Ateca in the dealers compound a few weeks ago and I had a third stalk that I wasn't expecting as I didn't order ACC. It turns out that the third stalk operates cruise control on vehicles that have some of the assist systems.

The manual doesn't show that there are two types of the third CC/ACC stalk!

This is probably why forums like this are the best way for getting advice!
White Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI:
19" Exclusive wheels
Panoramic sunroof
Xcellence Pack (top view cam, park assist & electric tailgate with pedal)
Seat Sound + spare wheel
Heated windscreen
Driving Assistance Pack 2
Accessories to pimp my ride :lol:

Stevegb

Post by Stevegb » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:04 pm

My auto wipe does not work. Lever on top of stalk set to most sensitive and stalk up to first position. Driven down the M4 to day in the on off rain flicking the stalk down for a quick wipe.
Reading posts above I looked at my stalk and pushed it forward. This dose not set to auto. It is rear wiper and push again is rear wipe and wash.
Going to phone service at the dealer tomorrow. Setting in mirrors and wipers is ticked for auto wipe.
One week old xcellence lux with all the bits

Return to “Faults & Technical”