Post by IAN HOVE » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:59 am

You need to have the lights set to Auto to make the auto wipers work
Ateca 2.0 TDi 190 Xcellence DSG 4Drive Pano Sunroof

Golfmk56

Re: Rain- sensing automatic wipers

Post by Golfmk56 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:48 am

Stevegb wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:04 pm
Lever on top of stalk set to most sensitive and stalk up to first position.
There well may be a fault, but it's often the case (and this goes for every car I've had with auto-wipe) that if the lever is left in the INT or Auto position with the engine off, then when the engine starts, the rain sensor fails to detect anything. So after starting the car, whenever it rains and the wipers fail to react, I have to cycle the wipers to off and back to INT, and the system works perfectly from then on. ( or rather until I switch the engine off, then have to go thru the same reboot routine next time I drive the car).

Stevegb

Post by Stevegb » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 am

Many thanks,
Will have a look at that, all seemed to work okay on my Golf GTI mK7 when I had it and it is all the same gear.

leWrat

Post by leWrat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Stevegb wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:04 pm
My auto wipe does not work. Lever on top of stalk set to most sensitive and stalk up to first position. Driven down the M4 to day in the on off rain flicking the stalk down for a quick wipe.
Reading posts above I looked at my stalk and pushed it forward. This dose not set to auto. It is rear wiper and push again is rear wipe and wash.
Going to phone service at the dealer tomorrow. Setting in mirrors and wipers is ticked for auto wipe.
One week old xcellence lux with all the bits
The auto wipe should turn on when you push the stalk upwards one "position" from the off position, i.e. the opposite direction to when you flicked it down for a quick wipe.
As you experienced, pushing it forwards is for the rear wiper.
MY19 Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 in Rhodium Grey with spacesaver wheel.

tmehanna

Post by tmehanna » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:15 pm

Not sure about you guys but on my car INT is INT, has nothing to do with autowipers. Autowipers are activated through CAR/SETUP on the infotainment system. I believe it's under mirror and wipers and you need to check the box. Once activated, it works regardless of the stalk position. The marking on the rocker switch on the other hand is counter intuitive as the bigger the raindrop the higher the sensitivity

Stevegb

Post by Stevegb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks
All set up in the settings and booked in to the dealer this Friday. There must be a fault some ware down the line.
Also tailgate not opening when you wave foot under back bumper.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:54 pm

tmehanna wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:15 pm
Not sure about you guys but on my car INT is INT, has nothing to do with autowipers. Autowipers are activated through CAR/SETUP on the infotainment system. I believe it's under mirror and wipers and you need to check the box. Once activated, it works regardless of the stalk position.
Regardless of stalk position? Are you saying that your wipers work even when the stalk is set to the off position? Or they don't constantly swipe when set in other positions? That's not what the owner manual says and certainly not how the wipers in my car work - would have thought it a serious design flaw if autowipe worked regardless of stalk position.

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:23 am

tmehanna wrote:
Not sure about you guys but on my car INT is INT, has nothing to do with autowipers. Autowipers are activated through CAR/SETUP on the infotainment system. I believe it's under mirror and wipers and you need to check the box. Once activated, it works regardless of the stalk position. The marking on the rocker switch on the other hand is counter intuitive as the bigger the raindrop the higher the sensitivity
Nope. The autowipe in the CAR/SETUP menu is for the rear wiper. When you tick that box, the rear wiper will wipe ones in a while when it's raining, but only if the stalk is on some other position than OFF. The 'INT' is the only position, where the front wipers are controlled by the rain sensor.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

tmehanna

Post by tmehanna » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Tet70 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:23 am
tmehanna wrote:
Nope. The autowipe in the CAR/SETUP menu is for the rear wiper. When you tick that box, the rear wiper will wipe ones in a while when it's raining, but only if the stalk is on some other position than OFF. The 'INT' is the only position, where the front wipers are controlled by the rain sensor.
The setting for rear wiper is different, it says wipe when reversing or something to this effect. My rear wiper does NOT work automatically UNLESS I am in reverse while front wipers are triggered by the sensor. I can also confirm that my front wipers work with the stalk in the off position because my stalk in always in the off position! If I don't want them, I need to change settings on the headunit

tmehanna

Post by tmehanna » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:10 pm

Golfmk56 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:54 pm
tmehanna wrote:
Not sure about you guys but on my car INT is INT, has nothing to do with autowipers. Autowipers are activated through CAR/SETUP on the infotainment system. I believe it's under mirror and wipers and you need to check the box. Once activated, it works regardless of the stalk position.
Regardless of stalk position? Are you saying that your wipers work even when the stalk is set to the off position? Or they don't constantly swipe when set in other positions? That's not what the owner manual says and certainly not how the wipers in my car work - would have thought it a serious design flaw if autowipe worked regardless of stalk position.
I wouldn't say a serious flaw because you can always disable the sensor in the infotainment system.

Return to “Faults & Technical”