Need to login too often

Suggestions & Help using the Ateca Forum
CyberGene

Need to login too often

Post by CyberGene » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:03 am

This used to work, however since a few weeks this issue started that I need to login way too often, although I choose the option “remember me”. What’s odd is when I open the forum main page I seem to be logged in the top right corner and I see there are unread sub-forums, however when I click on some of them, I am no more logged and can’t see what the new threads are. This happens on my iPhone, iPad and Mac-s. It might be due to the latest iOS and macOS updates, however it’s not a problem with any other forum/website, so it must be something with this forum in particular.
On order (Oct 2): SEAT Ateca XCellence 4DRIVE 1.4 TSI DSG (Samoa Orange, 18" Machined, Sunroof, SEAT Sound, BSD + RCTA, ACC, Top View, Park Assist, Full Link)
Currently: SEAT Leon mk3 SC FR 1.8 TSI manual

Ghiggz

Re: Need to login too often

Post by Ghiggz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:05 am

I'm ok, logged in on S8 phone and home pc, and have not had to log in for weeks, maybe months!!
Silver Ateca SE 1.6tdi

CyberGene

Post by CyberGene » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:14 am

OK, so maybe something with the Apple devices but again, not happening with any other website. What’s new in the new iOS and macOS is they implemented some features that prevent cross-website tracking, i.e. a website won’t be able to see you’re also logged in other websites and then show you targeted ads, which is a very welcome addition by users. Is there any chance that the web session cookies you use here are being rejected due to cross-site usage? Like if there’s a parent website for all some_car_brand_forums.co.uk that has a single login page but expects to check the cookie from atecaforums.co.uk or something like that?

Can anyone else with Apple devices confirm he is having the same issue?
On order (Oct 2): SEAT Ateca XCellence 4DRIVE 1.4 TSI DSG (Samoa Orange, 18" Machined, Sunroof, SEAT Sound, BSD + RCTA, ACC, Top View, Park Assist, Full Link)

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:52 am

It does sound like a cookie issue.

No cross site cookies, it's unique to this site.

iOS settings under safari has an option to block cookies. Also if you use private browsing cookies are not saved.

CyberGene

Post by CyberGene » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:58 am

Yes, I've been checking my iDevices for the last few minutes, no cookies are blocked, cross-site tracking is switched on though. And I am not using private browsing. However I think it happens if I switch between devices. If I only use the iPhone to browse this forum it stays logged in. However if I switch to my Mac it will happen. It used to work before though.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:03 pm

All my Apple devices sign me in perfectly. I use Chrome. It might be a Safari problem, but I don't use Safari. My link is to unread posts and ir shows all of them across all sections. If I want to read it again, it's usually near the top of the Whats New link.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

CyberGene

Post by CyberGene » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:07 am

Having the same problem with iPhone X, however there’s an interesting clue now. As I described, I open the main page and I seem to be logged in, my name visible in the top right corner and sub-forums with unread threads marked by a darker blue rectangle. Then I click on a sub-forum and I am not logged anymore, my name not in the top right corner (log in link shown instead) and all threads in light blue. And here’s the new clue. Whenever I open the sub-forum I see the Face ID animation for a moment which usually appears on websites where my credentials are pre-filled, this is something new for iPhone X, it makes sure it’s you before filling in credentials. But the odd thing is there’s nothing to fill in on that page. I guess the web developer should check and see why is it that loading this page requests some hidden authentication or cookie accesss or whatever.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:25 am

I found out what it is, Safari block a lot of 3rd party cookies, or only allow them for 24 hours which is why you need to log in again.

Here is the article about it: http://www.zdnet.com/article/ios-11-rol ... s-hate-it/

Mainly around advertising but it does say this: It will allow cookies to be used in a third-party context for 24 hours to support login scenarios.

Return to “Website Issues”