Potential new owner

New to the Seat Ateca Forums? Introduce yourself here
loughtonbloke

Potential new owner

Post by loughtonbloke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Greetings all.
I currently drive an 11 year old Nissan X trail and love it dearly. However our glorious mayor has decided that dirty diesels are baby killers and in 2021 he is extending the London emissions zone to cover most of London.
I've had several test drives of potential new cars including a few hybrids but won't be getting one as I just hate automatics.
The Ateca has been the first car that I have sat in and everything just felt "right" and so far it looks to be the winner.
However...... I don't like the idea of driving a car without a spare wheel.
It is a deal breaker.
I do go to some wild and windy places and have been stuck with a flat and no phone signal in a hire car. A ripped sidewall that a can of gloop would never fix.
Is it possible to get a spare wheel for an Ateca?
Engines. Can't believe that a 1 litre is big enough. Am I wrong? Is it ok for motorway cruising?
Love my 2 litre!
I'm all up for saving the planet but a gutless engine will not do.

mysti77

Re: Potential new owner

Post by mysti77 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:56 pm

You can get a spare wheel and there are different engine sizes, are you able to test drive the exact engine you want?
Ateca 1.5 TSI EVO Xcellence Lux DSG - Rodium Grey (collected March 2019)

Ciano

Post by Ciano » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 pm

1.0 litre not enough power for Ateca IMO. Though some find it is ok.
I went for a 1.5 with a space saver spare.

And had to use space saver within a month of collecting from new - screw embedded in rear tyre :(

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:41 am

General consensus would be that the 1.0L engine is OK - it does well enough, but nothing spectacular. Given the Ateca is a big car then actually that's a pretty good accomplishment for such a small engine! If you're happy pootling along in slow moving traffic (i.e. London and surrounding clogged motorways) and not loading up the car most of the time then it's an option. Others here will tell you how well it copes with motorways, although it does cope.

If, on the other hand, you like a burst of power at your fingertips or regularly want to carry 4 passengers or lots of kit then you might want to consider something larger. When you look at the specs there isn't much to the fuel economy between 1.0 and the old 1.4 TSi that I have - this is, of course, the paper specs which bear little resemblance to real life.

All of the above is anecdotal - you can only tell if you test-drive it.

As for the spare... well yes you can get one.

If you're ordering new, the present price list (here https://web1.seat.co.uk/sites/default/f ... y-2019.pdf ) shows a factory fit wheel as £115 RRP - page 15.

If you're ordering for a from stock / pre-reg / pre-owned vehicle which doesn't have a spare then you can order the official SEAT replacement off the accessories list. Look at the Accessories brochure here: https://www.seat.co.uk/content/dam/coun ... e-2018.pdf you'll see (penultimate page) that a spare kit is available for the Ateca (current price £199 for FWD, £299 for 4Drive models according to brochure list here: https://www.seat.co.uk/content/dam/coun ... t-2018.pdf ).

Factory-fit for a new Ateca is the cheapest option and obviously there are various 3rd party versions at a lower price as well.
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rhodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

loughtonbloke

Post by loughtonbloke » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 am

Thanks for your answers, I'm glad about the spare wheel and the next thing to do is a test drive!

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:45 am

loughtonbloke wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 am
Thanks for your answers, I'm glad about the spare wheel and the next thing to do is a test drive!
Good luck with the drive - try and get a long-term/unaccompanied test, not just 30 mins on a pre-arranged route! 8-)

As you say you're in Greater London, then depending where you are the new SEAT retail stores offer unaccompanied test drives (so you can pick your route). See here: https://seat-store.co.uk/ - there's one at Thurrock Lakeside and a new one at White City. I've had good feedback from colleagues who went to the Lakeside one (I haven't been there as I went via Carwow to buy and get my servicing done at Sidcup). Be warned that the retail store is exactly that - retail store, so cars from stock at a set price (just in case).
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rhodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

Return to “Introductions”