1.4 SE Tech DSG ordered AND (lots of) reasons why

New to the Seat Ateca Forums? Introduce yourself here
kee

1.4 SE Tech DSG ordered AND (lots of) reasons why

Post by kee » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:20 pm

Hey all, so following test drive today, the missus was (just about) happy enough, so did a deal and have put in an order! WOOP! Anyway, for those still deciding here are my thought processes if of use. Now I just need to begin the long wait :(

1.4 - decided 1.0 was going to be too weedy after 7 years in a 210 bhp golf. 8.5 0-60 sounds just fine. Generally I don't like the sound of diesels, from the outside they still sound like a bus, plus there's the bad smell when filling up (which costs more than petrol too). I do 5k miles per annum so economy benefit of diesel doesn't stack up and the 1.4 is pretty economical anyway. The upcoming FR was a tempting choice, but the body colour sills don't look good imo as makes it seem heavy and slabby. I couldn't bear the additional wait time either!

SE Tech trim not the Xcellence - this was an agonising choice for me. The Xcellence was better value and actually £150 quid cheaper once specced like for like with the SE Tech, but the dealbreaker was the leather trim (hot/ clammy in summer and wife finds they look too "old man"). Personally I quite liked the leather, but the Xcellence standard wheels I didn't like so much as the SE Tech ones and I didn't fancy spending £680 on the 19s. Another benefit of the SE Tech is the lighter coloured roof lining which makes the car feel airier. Downside, is I don't get the fancy puddle lights, but I'll live.

Panoramic roof - so even though I liked the lighter colour headlining in the SE Tech, I still wanted a panoramic roof to let even more light in. This also elevates the car to feel more premium as well. Weird that choosing this requires the LED ambient lighting, but hey ho, it's a gimmick to impress the kids with my "disco" as Thomas would say! Actually I'm hoping that it's going to be classy rather than tacky!

Park Assist, front/ rear sensors - park assist itself I doubt I'll ever use. I had it on my previous car for 7 years and only ever used it to show off to friends and never in reality since it's too slow. That said I do value front sensors, especially when getting to grips with the Ateca's larger proportions vs my old car, so this became a must have.

Reversing camera - had it on my old car and became very used to using it for parking. Excellent for tight spots. I tried parallel parking an Ateca on the test drive and that one didn't have a camera which totally unnerved me!

DSG - my wife is on an auto only licence so this was mandatory. However, even if she wasn't I would still go DSG to enjoy the driving profiles to their fullest. Also I live in the city so this makes driving much more leisurely.

Bila White. I originally wanted Nevada, but in some lights it actually has hints of grey/ blue. It's a much colder/ icier colour than the warmer and friendlier bila! Bila also reminded me of my old man's 525i BMW (E34) which I thought looked amazing at the time.

Convenience pack - I'm used to the auto lights, coming home lights, rain sensors from my old car, so this was a good option, especially as not too pricey.

Dark tinted rear windows - some say this is to look "gangster". But the reality is that with a newborn baby, this is to protect them from the sun and also to protect my wife's modesty when she's breast feeding in a service station car park! Plus when the kid is older it'll look gangster!

Double floor - not too pricey and I've been brain washed by too many youtube reviews claiming a flat load bay and low boot lip is a good thing. Personally I'm hoping the lost depth isn't going to be an issue, but also the second compartment should prove handy as I didn't go for a spare tyre (wife rejected the idea of gangster bass from a sub-woofer :( )

Electric tailgate - another source of agony this one. From Autogeful reviews I knew how to test this feature for safety and generally I was and still am, skeptical about how well it detects something in its path when closing. I tried different ways of getting in the boot lids' way and there was about a 70% pass rate which is poor enough to be a worry. I even got some light bruising and torn skin from one test! Ultimately I decided that it was going to be more useful with all our baby paraphernalia than a true safety hazard. i.e. I just need to be more present to prevent any kids or people getting it the boot's way, much like I have to look around when slamming a manual boot. The snob in me also likes this as a more premium feeling gadget.

Service pack - for just under £500 this seemed a reasonable deal for 3 years. Not amazing like the one MINI had years back, but not bad. The stealer was quoting about £200 quid per minor service and £300 for a major, so over 3 years I could expect about £700 in servicing, making the maths work with a reasonable buffer.

I rejected GAP insurance as the thread on this forum helpfully pointed out I could get this elsewhere for less than half the price.

I rejected lifetime shine or whatever it's called cos I'm not really into keeping my car clean (maybe white wasn't such a good idea after all....)

I rejected the extended warranty, I just hear that this is a rip off and worst case I could get later on. I'd hope after 3 years that any teething issues would have been sorted out and it'd be too early for any major issues (I typically only do about 5k miles per annum).

I toyed with the idea of the decorative interior trim, but it didn't come in bila white (only comes in silver, red, blue and orange) so that ruled it out

Front grill surround (the thin one) - after seeing Snaggy's car, I decided this was a nice finishing touch to the front of the car and not too pricey at £171.
Ordered 22/4; BW 22; collected 25/6! 1.4 SE-T DSG, Bila, s/roof, pwr boot, lower grill, rear cam, park assist, boot flr, conv pack, disco leds, tinted rears

i.e. an Xcellence with nicer wheels and minus the "old man" leather (per my missus)

Scott1988

Re: 1.4 SE Tech DSG ordered AND (lots of) reasons why

Post by Scott1988 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:39 pm

You've put a lot of thought into it Kee with some nice extras in there... I hope you enjoy your new car when it arrives.

ps. You didn't use to be on another forum as admin with the same username did you?
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI in Black Magic on order - Build completed 16th March 2017 and due to be delivered Tuesday 25th April

kee

Post by kee » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Thanks Scott. No, only other forum I used to be on recently was the GolfGTI forum, but was nowhere near admin status! Prior to that, there was the britishbornchinese forum, but that's going back 15 years!
Ordered 22/4; BW 22; collected 25/6! 1.4 SE-T DSG, Bila, s/roof, pwr boot, lower grill, rear cam, park assist, boot flr, conv pack, disco leds, tinted rears

i.e. an Xcellence with nicer wheels and minus the "old man" leather (per my missus)

Scott1988

Post by Scott1988 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:07 pm

Haha it was a different Kee.... about 8 years ago I was on a forum called clubbing abroad and the admin was called Kee :lol:

Funny how I've went from a clubbing forum to an Ateca forum.... grown up obviously :D
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI in Black Magic on order - Build completed 16th March 2017 and due to be delivered Tuesday 25th April

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:02 pm

Really interesting to read a post detailing reasons.
kee wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:20 pm
SE Tech trim Downside, is I don't get the fancy puddle lights, but I'll live.
It's not obvious from the specs in the brouchure, it contradicts itself if I remeber, but I'm sure those puddles come with LED lights. The SE-T I looked at had them. Perhaps an SE-T owner can confirm?
kee wrote:
Dark tinted rear windows - some say this is to look "gangster". But the reality is that with a newborn baby, this is to protect them from the sun and also to protect my wife's modesty when she's breast feeding in a service station car park!
'
You don't live near Nigel Farage by any chance? As we saw at the last election, he and his UKIP friends (what's left of them) don't approve of this hideous anti-social act and I'm sure will be very pleased you've chosen this option. Never know though, they may still insist she breast feeds under the tonneau cover ;)

kee

Post by kee » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:12 am

Ah, if I get puddle lights that'll be a nice bonus!

And as for Nigel, not as far as I know! Prob not since he'd want to deport me back to Hong Kong grrr

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:08 am

I have the puddle lights! Gave me a shock the frist night I went out in her! There was no mention by the dealer or spec sheet when ordered the car (was in stock at a U.K. dealer).

Also when you get her, give her a good waxing, Farecla G3 super gloss paste wax is amazing! I've used many waxes over the years but this was far the best
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal & Keyless Entry.

Saggy

Post by Saggy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Ah ha Kee - I see about the trim here now as I catch up

I may change my name to snaggy - quite like the ring it has ;)
Red Xcellence 18" 190 4wd DSG Heated windscreen, Tail foot wiggle, SEAT sound, Park Assist I still don't use....

alanl

Post by alanl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:55 pm

I got mine back in Dec last year and it had the puddle lights.
In the brochure they are called "Welcome light silhouette" which is why its easy to miss them listed in the specification.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1.6 TDI SE Tech; Lava Blue; Dark Rear Windows; Electric Tailgate, Spare Wheel and Convenience Pack

Uggzy2014

Post by Uggzy2014 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:24 pm

kee wrote:
Hey all, so following test drive today, the missus was (just about) happy enough, so did a deal and have put in an order! WOOP! Anyway, for those still deciding here are my thought processes if of use. Now I just need to begin the long wait :(

1.4 - decided 1.0 was going to be too weedy after 7 years in a 210 bhp golf. 8.5 0-60 sounds just fine. Generally I don't like the sound of diesels, from the outside they still sound like a bus, plus there's the bad smell when filling up (which costs more than petrol too). I do 5k miles per annum so economy benefit of diesel doesn't stack up and the 1.4 is pretty economical anyway. The upcoming FR was a tempting choice, but the body colour sills don't look good imo as makes it seem heavy and slabby. I couldn't bear the additional wait time either!

SE Tech trim not the Xcellence - this was an agonising choice for me. The Xcellence was better value and actually £150 quid cheaper once specced like for like with the SE Tech, but the dealbreaker was the leather trim (hot/ clammy in summer and wife finds they look too "old man"). Personally I quite liked the leather, but the Xcellence standard wheels I didn't like so much as the SE Tech ones and I didn't fancy spending £680 on the 19s. Another benefit of the SE Tech is the lighter coloured roof lining which makes the car feel airier. Downside, is I don't get the fancy puddle lights, but I'll live.

Panoramic roof - so even though I liked the lighter colour headlining in the SE Tech, I still wanted a panoramic roof to let even more light in. This also elevates the car to feel more premium as well. Weird that choosing this requires the LED ambient lighting, but hey ho, it's a gimmick to impress the kids with my "disco" as Thomas would say! Actually I'm hoping that it's going to be classy rather than tacky!

Park Assist, front/ rear sensors - park assist itself I doubt I'll ever use. I had it on my previous car for 7 years and only ever used it to show off to friends and never in reality since it's too slow. That said I do value front sensors, especially when getting to grips with the Ateca's larger proportions vs my old car, so this became a must have.

Reversing camera - had it on my old car and became very used to using it for parking. Excellent for tight spots. I tried parallel parking an Ateca on the test drive and that one didn't have a camera which totally unnerved me!

DSG - my wife is on an auto only licence so this was mandatory. However, even if she wasn't I would still go DSG to enjoy the driving profiles to their fullest. Also I live in the city so this makes driving much more leisurely.

Bila White. I originally wanted Nevada, but in some lights it actually has hints of grey/ blue. It's a much colder/ icier colour than the warmer and friendlier bila! Bila also reminded me of my old man's 525i BMW (E34) which I thought looked amazing at the time.

Convenience pack - I'm used to the auto lights, coming home lights, rain sensors from my old car, so this was a good option, especially as not too pricey.

Dark tinted rear windows - some say this is to look "gangster". But the reality is that with a newborn baby, this is to protect them from the sun and also to protect my wife's modesty when she's breast feeding in a service station car park! Plus when the kid is older it'll look gangster!

Double floor - not too pricey and I've been brain washed by too many youtube reviews claiming a flat load bay and low boot lip is a good thing. Personally I'm hoping the lost depth isn't going to be an issue, but also the second compartment should prove handy as I didn't go for a spare tyre (wife rejected the idea of gangster bass from a sub-woofer :( )

Electric tailgate - another source of agony this one. From Autogeful reviews I knew how to test this feature for safety and generally I was and still am, skeptical about how well it detects something in its path when closing. I tried different ways of getting in the boot lids' way and there was about a 70% pass rate which is poor enough to be a worry. I even got some light bruising and torn skin from one test! Ultimately I decided that it was going to be more useful with all our baby paraphernalia than a true safety hazard. i.e. I just need to be more present to prevent any kids or people getting it the boot's way, much like I have to look around when slamming a manual boot. The snob in me also likes this as a more premium feeling gadget.

Service pack - for just under £500 this seemed a reasonable deal for 3 years. Not amazing like the one MINI had years back, but not bad. The stealer was quoting about £200 quid per minor service and £300 for a major, so over 3 years I could expect about £700 in servicing, making the maths work with a reasonable buffer.

I rejected GAP insurance as the thread on this forum helpfully pointed out I could get this elsewhere for less than half the price.

I rejected lifetime shine or whatever it's called cos I'm not really into keeping my car clean (maybe white wasn't such a good idea after all....)

I rejected the extended warranty, I just hear that this is a rip off and worst case I could get later on. I'd hope after 3 years that any teething issues would have been sorted out and it'd be too early for any major issues (I typically only do about 5k miles per annum).

I toyed with the idea of the decorative interior trim, but it didn't come in bila white (only comes in silver, red, blue and orange) so that ruled it out

Front grill surround (the thin one) - after seeing Snaggy's car, I decided this was a nice finishing touch to the front of the car and not too pricey at £171.
Great choice Kee, I think your line of thinking was similar to mine when I ordered as I really wanted the panoramic roof, lighter roof lining and the much nicer standard wheels, but the dealer seemed keen to steer us away from the SE Tech towards the xcellence and quoted a higher monthly repayment for SE Tech over the Xcellence despite the overall cost being less.
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 Eco TSI, Rodium Grey, 19" Machined Alloys, Xcellence Pack, Double Boot Floor & Silver Side Skirt Trims. Ordered 21/02/2017, left factory 26/04/2017, collected May 2017.

Return to “Introductions”