Failed clutch on my Ateca

New to the Seat Ateca Forums? Introduce yourself here
jamesiow

Re: Failed clutch on my Ateca

Post by jamesiow » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:50 pm

What engine is your car got? I know Honest John get's letter from time to time with VW's with clutch issues when they quite new cars still.
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal & Keyless Entry.

Graham B

Post by Graham B » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:38 am

Hope things all go well for you. 10 years ago my 2nd new Leon was one of the first 170hp off of the production line and had a few faults. After 6 months the drivers door lock went "tech". By this time I was getting fed up with car so I help from Citizens Advice and wrote a letter to "The Dealer Principle" REJECTING THE CAR AS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. 3 weeks later I had a brand new Leon on my drive and a massive hamper from Seat UK that Christmas
Ordered 1.4 TSI Xcellence with heated front screen and panoramic sun roof in Rodium Grey. DELIVERED 12 SEPT FINALLY

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:23 am

Apologies - can only give briefest of answers, in a rush at the mo.

Write to dealer principal telling him you're suing them thru small claims court. You took car in with a smoking clutch. They found no fault. A few month later the clutch and flywheel need replacing. The court will ask the dealership if it wasn't a smoking clutch, then what was the problem? If they say no problem found then by implication the garage obviously came to the wrong conclusion.

Thats the basics anyway. Just remember your grievence is with the supplying dealership, this has nothing whatsoever to do with SEAT UK or their customer services.

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:32 am

You could also be on a sticky wicket with a clutch is possible to destroy one in afternoon if you’re a shocking driver. Plus the limit for the Small Claims Court is £10,000. My advice would be to go down Customer service route first
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal & Keyless Entry.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:18 pm

jamesiow wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:32 am
You could also be on a sticky wicket with a clutch is possible to destroy one in afternoon if you’re a shocking driver. Plus the limit for the Small Claims Court is £10,000. My advice would be to go down Customer service route first
'
1: There's no sticky wicket at all. Of course you could destroy a clutch in an afternoon but not thru normal driving you can't. If you're suggesting the above car wasn't being driven normally then again that's very simple to prove - just check the tyres. Even if David had been sitting with his foot on the clutch all afternoon then that would burn the clutch... so how do you account for a flywheel to be replaced?

2: The applicant would be suing for the replacement costs for clutch and flywheel - i.e. £2000. What's the small court limit of £10,000 got to do with it?

David wrote: "They (the garage) say SEAT will not reimburse them once the car is more than 6 months old unless they can show it was a manufacturing defect."

The garage's relationship with the manufacturer is of no concern whatsoever to the buyer. The legal position is the contract is between David and the garage. Any issues the garage has with the manufacturer is quite frankly a legal battle between themselves.

It's an open an shut case. For £2000 the garage would have to be quite mad to even try and contest it. If I were to take a guess, what'll happen is the case won't go anywhere near small claims court and the garage will make a 'goodwill gesture' for all the monies David has thus far paid out. (Goodwill gesture meaning that they are not admitting liability).

L4ng3rs2017

Post by L4ng3rs2017 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:39 pm

We’ve had our Ateca for nearly a couple of months and about a month ago we had an issue with a burning clutch smell - very pungent after the car failed to pull away on a hill from autohold and rolled back, nearly into the car behind - it did this twice on the same day. We’ve not had any problems since but your story gets me worried.

Our car is going in for the sat nav to be looked at in a couple of weeks so I think i’ll be asking them to investigate.

Surely a record of raising a concern/issue (& in your case SEAT having investigated it) well within the 6 month period should be strong evidence to help you make the case with SEAT UK or, on the extreme, civil court
Ateca SE Technology 1.4 EcoTSI manual 2018 | Mediterranean Blue | Park Assist | Top View Camera | Space Saver Spare Wheel
Ordered 13/05/17, Built week 25, Arrived at the dealer 30/06/17.

fujixpro

Post by fujixpro » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:47 pm

You mentioned that you were in Autohold and on a hill, did you not engage your brake while sitting on the hill, I had an issue while sitting on a steep hill in Glasgow city centre and did not engage the brake, just let the autohold do the business,the car did not like being just held on the Autohold so I now use my brake even on the smallest incline, try it out to see if this helps.

Allroad

Post by Allroad » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:24 am

If you had paid with CC would of you then had the chance to claim back from CC company? I mean the 2k?

DougFoster

Post by DougFoster » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:59 am

I had my clutch fail on the M62 whilst driving in the outside lane about 70mph
Luckily despite how busy the motorway was I managed to keep control and get over to the hard shoulder, by which time the smell was awful and lots of smoke. My concern is that a less experienced driver could have had a major accident and Seat are not taking this seriously
Like others SEAT are trying to blame my driving stating its wear and tear, despite the car being 1 year old and 10,000 miles on the clock, the majority of those 10,000 miles having been driven on motorways, so not city heavy on clutch driving. The car was serviced in October and the Clutch/brake/transmission was given the green light
I have been driving for over 35 years and have never had a clutch issue before despite some of my cars having done over 75,000 miles
I am currently in discussion with Seat customer services and the car remains in the garage, but I do not want to pay a penny for repairs and now have no confidence in driving my Ateca again as there is no guarantee I can get anywhere without the clutch breaking

stupra

Post by stupra » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Also, get in touch with Auto Express magazine, they'll love a story like this. Bad publicity costs car companies.
SEAT Ateca SE Technology in Rodium Grey with Convenience pack. Build week 37, delivery 12th Oct 17.

3 Alteas, an Exeo ST and a Leon Cupra K1 (slightly modified!) all gone but not forgotten.

Return to “Introductions”