Failed clutch on my Ateca

New to the Seat Ateca Forums? Introduce yourself here
DougFoster

Re: Failed clutch on my Ateca

Post by DougFoster » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:35 am

Jack, you may have a point as although I’m not a mechanic I too have concerns on the brake as my incident occurred having just left a service station and I also have the 1.0 model

David Gatenby

Post by David Gatenby » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:11 pm

I am awaiting a telephone mediation interview next week and if we don’t reach agreement the next step will be the County Court. I found additional information via Google which gives information about how to spot problems.
What are the signs of a bad dual mass flywheel
…Burnt smell. One of the major indicators of a bad flywheel is a burning smell, like that of burnt toast. ...
Got this from phoenixfriction.com.
I’m not sure whetherI can give details of the court action but if I can I will as clearly mine is not the only car affected. Seems to be worse on the 1 litre cars.
Mine is the SE TECH ECOMOTIVE TSI

danwill17

Post by danwill17 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:04 am

This is clearly a mechanical fault, not driver fault. Clutches simply don't fail at such an early age unless it is either faulty, or there is abnormal load being put through (i.e. max revs and dumping the clutch pedal to pull off).

I've experienced a few clutch failures but these have only ever been on cars that have done 140k plus, and have been used for towing. This is roughly an expected lifespan of a clutch, and extra load has been put on them through towing.

Keep fighting the dealer, it is apparent that this seems to be an issue affecting the 1.0 petrol models and you shouldn't be paying for this, it's a warranty issue. They will be hard pressed to prove that driving style caused this so I'm sure they'll give in eventually, just a right pain that it has to go this far! Keep making it high profile too, that will push them to action, even if they say it's a "gesture of good will".
1.6 TDI Ecomotive SE Technology, Convenience Pack, Rear View Camera, Nevada White

Uggzy2014

Post by Uggzy2014 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:58 pm

David Gatenby wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:11 pm
I am awaiting a telephone mediation interview next week and if we don’t reach agreement the next step will be the County Court. I found additional information via Google which gives information about how to spot problems.
What are the signs of a bad dual mass flywheel
…Burnt smell. One of the major indicators of a bad flywheel is a burning smell, like that of burnt toast. ...
Got this from phoenixfriction.com.
I’m not sure whetherI can give details of the court action but if I can I will as clearly mine is not the only car affected. Seems to be worse on the 1 litre cars.
Mine is the SE TECH ECOMOTIVE TSI
I feel gutted for you, what an awful experience you are having to deal with. Hope you get it sorted and don't have to pay up.

I also hope this does not affect the 1.4tsi models as we also get a burning smell coming from ours, usually after reversing onto our drive way, which is fairly steep, but also on other occasions, particuarly around hills, but I just put this down to the weight of the car and the low mileage it is still at.
My wife and I both like to think we have good clutch control and there is no clutch grinding noises or engine labouring that you would obviously expect to cause the smell. Just seems strange as we never had the smell from the Leon we owned previously (also a 1.4tsi) and don't get it from our current Ibiza (our second car) and we reverse that onto the drive too.

Hopefully it's nothing as we havent had any problems (touch wood), but reading this thread has raised my level of concern a little. :shock:
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 Eco TSI, Rodium Grey, 19" Machined Alloys, Xcellence Pack, Double Boot Floor & Silver Side Skirt Trims. Ordered 21/02/2017, left factory 26/04/2017, collected May 2017.

DougFoster

Post by DougFoster » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:15 am

SEAT have covered the cost of a new clutch in my 1.0TDI Ateca and although I do not want the vehicle back, following my catastrophic failure in the outside lane of a motorway, I am being forced to accept their decision. As I am in a lease purchase agreement for 3 years, I will be stuck with what I now see as a piece of scrap metal outside my house for the next 2 years, or until the negative equity is at a point where I can return the vehicle.
Because SEAT state this is wear and tear which can occur at any time, I am not prepared to drive the vehicle as this would mean putting myself, my family and other road users at risk,
There is always the hope that SEAT will see sense with the number of complaints both here and on other social media and initiate a recall on the 1.0 models, but for now, I guess that SEAT are following the process one described in the film Fight, see link: Clubhttp://inaneexplained.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/fight-club-car-recall.html
If SEAT had ever considered that there was a faulty batch of clutches or that the clutch is insufficient for the load of the car and replaced all, then I would have been happy to continue driving the vehicle.
I have been a loyal customer of SEAT for over 14 years and many of my previous SEAT cars have done in excess of 70,000 miles without ever having a clutch issue
The attitude of SEAT towards me and others on this forum is that despite a history of driving thousands of miles without clutch issues, the moment we take delivery of the Aetca, we automatically turn in to bad drivers who dont know how to use a clutch properly

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:21 pm

Uggzy2014 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:58 pm
I also hope this does not affect the 1.4tsi models as we also get a burning smell coming from ours, usually after reversing onto our drive way, which is fairly steep, but also on other occasions, particuarly around hills, but I just put this down to the weight of the car and the low mileage it is still at.
'
Just wondering if that's not brake related? All these auto-hold and hill-hold functions make life much easier but the systems aren't perfect and get caught out now and again.

Phosphoric

Post by Phosphoric » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm starting to get some sort of "transmission slip" when moving off from cold, barely noticeable but it's there. Bit like driving over an icy puddle for example. It only does it once or twice when moving off from cold for a fraction of a second and I can't replicate it after.............getting a bit worried. Car is 10 months old with 6000 miles on the clock.
Like others, I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles, generally keep the same car for 6 to 8 years, and never had a clutch go on me.

Previous car was a 4x4 Octavia, used to get a similar feel before the Haldex clutch kicked in on a slippery surface, only not so long or noticeable.

Passenger doesn't notice it.
1.4 Eco TSI SE in Rhodium Grey. Convenience pack, towbar and spacesaver spare wheel. 5 year warranty

Pauldm

Post by Pauldm » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Contact BBC Watch Dog you will find the details on the internet and explain the problems with Seat clutch problems on the Ateca this may get Seat U.K. to take this seriously and not put the blame on the owners

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:55 pm

DougFoster wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:15 am
SEAT have covered the cost of a new clutch in my 1.0TDI Ateca
If SEAT had ever considered that there was a faulty batch of clutches or that the clutch is insufficient for the load of the car and replaced all, then I would have been happy to continue driving the vehicle.
Well, for me it seems that they have acknowledged that it's really not normal wear and tear. Otherwise, they would not cover the costs, would they? It's extremely rare that car manufacturer publicly states, that there's some design fault or a faulty batch of parts in their cars. You have to read between the lines. :|
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

Frannyt

Post by Frannyt » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:34 am

DougFoster wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:59 am
I had my clutch fail on the M62 whilst driving in the outside lane about 70mph
Luckily despite how busy the motorway was I managed to keep control and get over to the hard shoulder, by which time the smell was awful and lots of smoke. My concern is that a less experienced driver could have had a major accident and Seat are not taking this seriously
Like others SEAT are trying to blame my driving stating its wear and tear, despite the car being 1 year old and 10,000 miles on the clock, the majority of those 10,000 miles having been driven on motorways, so not city heavy on clutch driving. The car was serviced in October and the Clutch/brake/transmission was given the green light
I have been driving for over 35 years and have never had a clutch issue before despite some of my cars having done over 75,000 miles
I am currently in discussion with Seat customer services and the car remains in the garage, but I do not want to pay a penny for repairs and now have no confidence in driving my Ateca again as there is no guarantee I can get anywhere without the clutch breaking
Doug Foster if you read this please wil you direct message me on here I need some help with the same situation.

Return to “Introductions”