First ever Seat

New to the Seat Ateca Forums? Introduce yourself here
SCBomorse

First ever Seat

Post by SCBomorse » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Hey guys,

I've been using this website for info on the Ateca as I've just ordered a 1.6 tdi DSG Xcellence Lux in Samoa Orange as my motability car.

Unfortunately, I've now got a 3-4 month wait for it to be built and delivered 😭
As the absolute top spec I was disappointed to find out that Traffic Jam Assist has now been removed from the equipment list. Not sure why, as it was available previously and is mentioned in the manual.

Can't wait to get my car just disappointed it's such a long wait. This is my first Seat and I've owned about 54 cars since passing my test at 17, 18 years ago.

I originally looked at the RAV4 hybrid but they've stopped making them due to the new model arriving soon. I then narrowed it down the BMW X1 or the Vauxhall Grandland X.

They were compromises though as the BMW was a manual petrol and sparse of kit and the Vauxhall became expensive when optioned with the kit I wanted.

Out of the blue the Ateca popped into my mind and within a couple of hours I was ordering my car! As good as it looks in white, white Atecas are ubiquitous. Decided to be brave and have the orange as all the press cars are the Samoa Orange and look great.
Time will tell how it fares in the real world in daytime light. The reason I love orange on an SUV is down to the Land Rover G4 vehicles and Fiat Panda Cross - it just suits a chucky looking car.

Its got absolutely every conceivable thing I could want on my car. The heated windscreen, virtual pedal boot, the adaptive cruise control and safety pack are highlights for me.
Just disappointed traffic jam assist has been dropped from the spec as it was something that would be a huge boon to me as I do a lot of city driving.

Anyway, thanks for the advice I've already received from you guys!

BobsurUncle2

Re: First ever Seat

Post by BobsurUncle2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:00 pm

I too am a first time owner of a Seat badged vehicle, but previously owned Audi’s and a VW...That’s probably what made me go for an Ateca.

About Three (3) weeks ago I placed an order for an SE Tech 1.6 DSG, joining this group for honest & open views on ownership and experiences of this great looking car.
I have a new baby girl and decided to upgrade from my A3 Sportsback, with the wife wanting a Q3. After a lot of research (and disagreements), I managed to convince the wife to get an Areca.

I’m looking forward to delivery, but a little worried over the lead times of construction and shipping.

Fingers crossed I’ll get it this side of Xmas.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:23 pm

I think you will find that it does have Traffic Jam Assist. That is just part of the adaptive cruise control on a DSG. It just carries on working at any speed down to zero. They probably dont mention it as it is really part of ACC. In a traffic jam it doesnt really use lane assist as you are nomally going in a straight line.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Fred99 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:23 pm
I think you will find that it does have Traffic Jam Assist. That is just part of the adaptive cruise control on a DSG. It just carries on working at any speed down to zero. They probably dont mention it as it is really part of ACC. In a traffic jam it doesnt really use lane assist as you are nomally going in a straight line.
I know the ACC goes down to a stop, but with TJA it should pull away automatically below 3 seconds and after that need reactivating.

I did contact Seat UK and they told me it was not included in my model.

Guess I'll find out in 3-4 months!
Ateca 1.6tdi Xcellence Lux DSG in Samoa Orange 8-)

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:04 am

Yes, it deactivates very quickly, but touching the accelerator gets it going again.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 am

Reading the manual, traffic jam assist does use the lane assist. It's supposed to steer, accelerate and brake in traffic.

I've also read that my model comes with Emergency Assist (automatically stops the car if you're unresponsive behind the wheel for too long) which is a brilliant feature.
Ateca 1.6tdi Xcellence Lux DSG in Samoa Orange 8-)

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:13 am

SCBomorse wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 am
I've also read that my model comes with Emergency Assist (automatically stops the car if you're unresponsive behind the wheel for too long) which is a brilliant feature.
Unless it goes off when it shouldn't :shock: . Several of us have experienced it and apparently it's far from just being an Ateca thing. Other makes including the Volvo X40 do it. Sensitivity can be changed so it doesn't go off too early but I've actually found that I've changed my driving style. This is because I live out in the sticks and regularly use narrow country lanes where overhanging greenery can set it off. I've had a few instances where there was nothing in sight to set it off so not sure what was going on there. The sensor is behind the front SEAT badge so good to clean it regularly. Having said all this, I agree it's a brilliant feature and has actually backed me up a few times although, for obvious reasons, it lacks logic.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:24 am

It's not the same thing. Emergency assist monitors the driver to see if he is active. It uses things like steering input etc. If it thinks you are asleep/dead, it wiggles the wheels and pumps the brakes. If it gets no response it puts the hazard lights on and swerves around a bit to alert other drivers and then stops the car. You would certainly know about it if it went off accidentally.

I think what you are describing is the emergency braking feature.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks for clarifying Fred. I just presumed it was the same thing. Thankfully not experienced that one yet but good to know it's also there.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Fred's right. The Front Assist anti-collision braking all Atecas have is just the radar at the front.

Emergency Assist (with Traffic Jam Assist) was only available on DSG models with the Advanced Comfort and Driving pack (non-DSG models didn't get that option sadly...). It's still stocked to the gills with safety equipment though.
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rhodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

Return to “Introductions”