Does anyone know how to use park assist?

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Ctugwell01

Does anyone know how to use park assist?

Post by Ctugwell01 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:24 am

Been trying to get it to work but I haven't got a clue

Grahamn

Re: Does anyone know how to use park assist?

Post by Grahamn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:54 am

I'm sure the manual describes it, but essentially pressing the park button as you approach the space / line of cars you're looking to park between at slow speed. It will then prompt you with visual in the dash to stop the car, select reverse gear (for a reverse parallel park) and to let it control the steering whilst you control the speed. I've used it once successfully. Other times, I didn't pause long enough when selecting reverse before moving backwards or wasn't going slowly enough when selecting a space. I think the trick is to find a quiet car park or street to get used to the prompts.

Look at this video...

Ctugwell01

Post by Ctugwell01 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:38 am

Grahamn wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:54 am
I'm sure the manual describes it, but essentially pressing the park button as you approach the space / line of cars you're looking to park between at slow speed. It will then prompt you with visual in the dash to stop the car, select reverse gear (for a reverse parallel park) and to let it control the steering whilst you control the speed. I've used it once successfully. Other times, I didn't pause long enough when selecting reverse before moving backwards or wasn't going slowly enough when selecting a space. I think the trick is to find a quiet car park or street to get used to the prompts.

Look at this video...

Thankyou

Jettabout

Post by Jettabout » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 am

But did the guy actually tell us to first press the park assist button???? plus when it was demo'd to us the indicators were required to show what side the park assist was to look at, is that correct?
I really must try it for myself.
Dave.
2019 Ateca SE Tech 2.0ltr Tdi, Rodium grey, now with spare wheel...

Grahamn

Post by Grahamn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:11 am

I think they omitted the press the button bit! So yes that needs to be done. I think the indicator is only required when parking on the opposite side of the road as far as I know, but if in doubt, indicate in the relevant direction.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 am

Jettabout wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 am
But did the guy actually tell us to first press the park assist button???? plus when it was demo'd to us the indicators were required to show what side the park assist was to look at, is that correct?
The system defaults to the nearside so only need to use indicator if parking on driver's side of the road.

I've used various self-park systems, most of which are time consuming but the system on VAG isn't too bad for parallel parking. I only used it once for reversing in to a bay - bloody hell it's awkward and time consuming. Took the car four attempts to ease in to the bay - not good for clutches! Of course the other issue is it only reverses in to the bay - not good for supermarkets when you want to load your shopping in to the boot.

That said, one thing I love is rear cross traffic alert. If you've driven in to a bay, the system warns you of on coming pedestrians / traffic when reversing out. Very handy when there's a van or larger SUV's parked next to you. I'd have thought the EU would be better making systems like that mandatory.

nitrous

Post by nitrous » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:24 am

Golfmk56 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 am
Jettabout wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 am
The system defaults to the nearside so only need to use indicator if parking on driver's side of the road.

I've used various self-park systems, most of which are time consuming but the system on VAG isn't too bad for parallel parking. I only used it once for reversing in to a bay - bloody hell it's awkward and time consuming. Took the car four attempts to ease in to the bay - not good for clutches! Of course the other issue is it only reverses in to the bay - not good for supermarkets when you want to load your shopping in to the boot.

That said, one thing I love is rear cross traffic alert. If you've driven in to a bay, the system warns you of on coming pedestrians / traffic when reversing out. Very handy when there's a van or larger SUV's parked next to you. I'd have thought the EU would be better making systems like that mandatory.
Hi Golfmk56,

regarding your concern around reverse vs forwards perpendicular parking, I read very recently that if you press park assist once, it will select reverse parallel park, press again for reverse perpendicular parking, but that a third press will select forwards perpendicular parking.. Hopefully that will work for you? Pressing it a fourth time defeats the system.

Cheers

coleman keith

Post by coleman keith » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:11 am

Being honest I wouldn't bother with it. its so time consuming you should be able to park the car your self much quicker. Its just a gimick for showing off to your friends that you have it. I had it on several company cars. each time is asked the dealer if it could be removed. when asked why I replied "it was an affront to my masculinity" LOL
Excellence Lux 1.5 TSi manual in Rhodium grey with
front and rear styling kit and side steps

Rory

Post by Rory » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 pm

nitrous wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:24 am
...regarding your concern around reverse vs forwards perpendicular parking, I read very recently that if you press park assist once, it will select reverse parallel park, press again for reverse perpendicular parking, but that a third press will select forwards perpendicular parking.. Hopefully that will work for you? Pressing it a fourth time defeats the system.
The Ateca manual does say that. It must be a newish VW thing - our late mk1 Tiguan doesn't have that ability.

I can't say I've exhaustively tried, but I've never got Tig to perpendicular park anyway, and I can't imagine how it would work forwards as you've got to be pretty close to pick up the space. It would be great if it would reverse park onto our drive (between two other cars) but the footpath must be too wide, but I'd be amazed if it's 2 metres which is supposed to be the system's range.

I think it's pretty good at reverse parallel parking - in Tig I don't indicate and just press the button as I've come to a stop after the space. It lines up compared to the cars in front and behind though - so if they're parked on the kerb the system will put your car on the kerb too. You've got to watch for oncoming traffic as it swings the front out wide!
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:26 am

nitrous wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:24 am
Hi Golfmk56,

regarding your concern around reverse vs forwards perpendicular parking, I read very recently that if you press park assist once, it will select reverse parallel park, press again for reverse perpendicular parking, but that a third press will select forwards perpendicular parking.. Hopefully that will work for you? Pressing it a fourth time defeats the system.

Cheers
Didn't know that - thanks for the update. But it's something I won't bother with after that experience with reverse bay parking!

The system seems to insist the car is perfectly parallel to both cars parked either side BEFORE it goes in to the bay. The designers must think our supermarket carparks are the size of American parking lots :D

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”