Spare wheel or not

All Seat Ateca related discussions
matthab

Re: Spare wheel or not

Post by matthab » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Just picked up my spare wheel kit from a local dealership. All looks ok and nice piece of mind to have. I noticed when fitting it its got a Linglong tyre on, worth asking for a better tyre or don't worry about it?

The tyre at the end of the day may get no use and only get me home or to the nearest garage.
Seat Ateca 1.5tsi DSG Xcellence Lux Black Magic

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:45 am

Well if you damage a tyre hitting a large pot hole or debris in the road at 2;00am in the morning, and the sealant stuff isn't going to fix rips in the carcase! you are at the mercy of the recovery services.
Waiting for them to bring a temporary spare, fitting it and getting the spare back to them.
It's happened to me.
I was delighted when I found my used Ateca had one. I do tow a caravan so that gives me peace of mind knowing I can get going in the road again quite quickly.

Spare wheel, yes, yes, yes,
Black 190 DSG Excellence

matthab

Post by matthab » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:52 am

Phantom wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:45 am
Well if you damage a tyre hitting a large pot hole or debris in the road at 2;00am in the morning, and the sealant stuff isn't going to fix rips in the carcase! you are at the mercy of the recovery services.
Waiting for them to bring a temporary spare, fitting it and getting the spare back to them.
It's happened to me.
I was delighted when I found my used Ateca had one. I do tow a caravan so that gives me peace of mind knowing I can get going in the road again quite quickly.

Spare wheel, yes, yes, yes,
You laugh but I have been in this position with a screaming child in the back stuck in a lay by. I always get a spare for my car for this reason, it never happens 9-5 or when convenient.
Seat Ateca 1.5tsi DSG Xcellence Lux Black Magic

Ianmac10

Post by Ianmac10 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi

Has anyone with a 4wd who’s bought from Horton Seat cut any of the parts off the inserts? I ve put the rear, long piece in and it has two big chunks on either side that get in the way. Or I might have it the wrong wa around. Any photos would be appreciated

Thanks
Seat Ateca FR 2.0TDI 4 Drive Rhodium Grey

silent ninja

Post by silent ninja » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:04 pm

Spare wheel is essential in my view. I have used gunk - if it doesn't work you are buggered and will be dependent on the recovery service furnishing you with one via an exorbitant local trader. That's a lot of waiting and a lot of cost.

When the gunk DOES work, many tyre repair places refuse to repair the tyre and insist on a full replacement. I had to pay extra for a garage to wash my tyre out (which took literally a few minutes) then dry it before they repaired it. Turns out they just hate the smell so refuse to work on them (it smells like cat urine).

If you have a spare wheel? If it's too dangerous to change your flat tyre, or you just can't be bothered, call recovery and the job is done painlessly in one visit. Off you go home with the option of repairing or buying a new tyre at your discretion.

Bottom line, it only has to happen once for it to pay for itself.

BrianG

Post by BrianG » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:45 am

I have the Horton kit, the thin hinged strip went to the seat backs and points upwards from memory, I’ll check but didn’t need to cut anything to make it fit.
2.0 FR, Velvet Red, 4Drive, Space saver spare & working rear view camera...

Goldstones2

Post by Goldstones2 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:13 am

Thanks all. Quick update. Have ordered spare wheel as Seat have given me a £250 voucher.

Ianmac10

Post by Ianmac10 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:54 pm

Thanks. Mine must just need a little positioning

CAFCBC6D-9014-40E1-A2F1-5AEF58A8C916.jpeg

C056A35C-5F2D-417C-B718-D01DD6126781.jpeg

Seat Ateca FR 2.0TDI 4 Drive Rhodium Grey

Furion

Post by Furion » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:42 am

I’ve ordered mine with a spare wheel from factory, must have in my opinion, I’ve not had any experience with the chemical repair but it seems obvious once used you would have to buy another one, what if you forget to replace it, you’d be stuffed
Furion
Ordered 27/06 : Build Completed WK40, Collected 1st Nov 19.
Ateca Xcellence Lux 2.0TDI 150 DSG 4Drive, Black Magic. MY20
Gone but not forgotten : Jaguar XF 3.0TDV6 2011

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 pm

@Ianmac - Those two dovetail pieces on the long part lock in to the side pieces... Those dovetails face the rear of the car and then the two side pieces fit over them.

1) Take all pieces out!

2) The long piece's face that is currently sitting against the seat backs should be sitting against the floor of the boot. To correct it's orientation from the photographs, it needs turning end over end (so the end currently on the LHS is on the RHS). It then needs rotating along its axis so the dovetails are facing the rear hatch.

3) The two side pieces then slide over this piece, the dovetails are a tight fit and stop them from moving around as well as locating them properly.

If you take all 3 pieces out and turn the side pieces over, you'll see exactly what I mean...

If you still can't figure it out, I'll take some pics of mine.
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue.

Fully loaded:
Adaptive Cruise Control, Digital Cockpit, Top View, Lane Assist, Park Assist, Traffic Jam Assist, High Beam Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition, Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”