Servicing Petrol

All Seat Ateca related discussions
PSC21

Servicing Petrol

Post by PSC21 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:01 pm

I'm am about to take delivery on my new Petrol Ateca. The salesman suggested my first service would be at 10k. So as my last 5 cars have been diesels Im used to 20k service intervals on VAG and Ford products. Is he wrong or am I going to be on first name terms with my service manager?
FRS Velvet Red. Collected 17/1/20 Replacing 2018 Tiguan SEL Bitdi 4motion DSG , Replaced 2017 Leon Cupra.

Chop

Re: Servicing Petrol

Post by Chop » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:03 pm

I believe it depends upon what oil is in the car. I understand that 504 spec (5W-30) means 10K oil change intervals. If you have 508 spec oil (0W-20) it means extended intervals. 0W20 oil is not backwardly compatible.

If I am wrong, I am happy to be corrected.
2.0 TSI Xcellence in Rhodium Grey, 2020 spec, spare wheel and panoramic roof.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:31 pm

If you are on the long life service plan, which is the normal factory setup, it’s 2 years or 20k.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Rory

Post by Rory » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:57 pm

They come from the factory set for longlife servicing. The dealer should discuss it with you, but for retail customers they normally change them to fixed interval servicing. If the car is leased they should leave it on longlife.

If you've got a SEAT service plan then that demands fixed interval servicing.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:57 am

Fred99 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:31 pm
If you are on the long life service plan, which is the normal factory setup, it’s 2 years or 20k.
Two very important words left out of that statement which causes confusion. It's UP TO 2yr or 20K miles ( called long life or variable servicing)

The engine has oil degragation sensors so when set to longlife, they determines the time or mileage b4 a service is required. The harder the engine is worked, the sooner those service intervals will occur.

PS - another slight confusion is when the OP says "with my diesels". It has nothing to do with the fuel type, all engines can be set to variable or fixed servicing and that should be determined on what use the car will be subjected to rather than how a car is purchased. I've heard that retail / lease comment from a dealer before but it's total B*** S***.

Sash

Post by Sash » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:49 pm

If it is a lease car and you are not going to keep it beyond 4 years, 10K or once a year is just about right. The engine should be still in a decent condition when it changes the owner, and will leave him suffering further down the road..

If you consider buying the car and keep it for longer then forget about those recommendations as it is all very approximate and dictated by ecological demands, marketing and competition as much as the engine and technology.

In reality your mileage and service intervals are not directly correlated as 5 miles in a traffic jam, 5 miles on a winding mountain road and 5 miles on a flat highway are completely different things in terms of engine oil deterioration.

If you really want to care about your engine and keep it clean as a nut for the next 10 years or so ( well, it is nearly impossible with modern overloaded direct injection turbo charged engines) then the time the engine is running + driving conditions + oil/petrol quality are much better indications than the mileage.

As for the oil quality sensors, most are simple devices that just measure the dielectric constant which depends on the oxidation and impurities. It may (possibly) help prevent a disaster if something goes wrong but it is not really a comprehensive indicator of oil deterioration. I don't know what sensor does VW employ here though.

FrAteca

Post by FrAteca » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Any car you should change the oil every 12 months or after 10K miles whichever comes first. Just basic maintenance. I have a service plan with my car and I just got mine services after 1 year and it was at 7k

PSC21

Post by PSC21 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:38 pm

Thanks for all the input , I guess I will find out on Friday when I collect. Funny that VAG group cars have sensors for the oil . My TT covers about 3 to 6K a year but every year the oil service light comes on! However with Ford S-Max, Mondeo ,VW CC and Tiguan they all happily ran to 18 to 20 K in a year ,or so, before the service light come on!
FRS Velvet Red. Collected 17/1/20 Replacing 2018 Tiguan SEL Bitdi 4motion DSG , Replaced 2017 Leon Cupra.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:44 pm

The service light will come on depending on what service regime you've chosen. If it's fixed ( or annual ) the service light will come on when the service is due - your TT will no doubt be set for fixed.

If it's flexible ( or long-life ) then the service light will come on either when the sensors detect a service is required or when the max. limits are reached - which ever comes first.

peterm15

Post by peterm15 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:14 pm

On the ateca You can check if your car is set to long life servicing in the Settings menu on the radio. It will tell you how many days and miles you have left.