Seat maintenance and servicing plans

All Seat Ateca related discussions
missy

Seat maintenance and servicing plans

Post by missy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:04 am

I just don't get these?

Can anybody explain what they do, are they qorth it or not?

I have yet to discover if a new car needs anything of these for x years.... had assumed it needed nothing for one year - or does first year service come free?

Bear in mind that I am new to car ownership (bicycle and old vw camper which been off road for 3 years)

Thanks
Seat SE 1.4 Tech, petrol, manual, in Nevada white, front camera, spare tyre and towbar. Also winter pack :)

Unconfirmed Build date was Wk '19', then 31,38, then 31. Now confirmed Wk 22

Tell

Re: Seat maintenance and servicing plans

Post by Tell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:47 am

Modern cars don't need the 600 mile first service like they use too and service intervals extended to every two years. Technically it needs nothing till then but if you cherish your vehicle like the camper van you may well decide two year services are far too long. Honest John thinks it's daft to have them serviced every two years and should be done annually. PCPers probably aren't so bothered and pay up for the second year, change in the third year.

I was going to buy in advance the service plan and get it done annually but since they miss built my car less the wireless charger they gave me that back in return. Cost effective to buy that in advance. Long term once the warranty runs out booked Seat services online provide annual European breakdown recovery so that's a good one. Vehicle recovered to the Seat garage of your choice not 10 miles to the nearest as some cheaper recovery services.

Warranty extension is another one. They are a bit sharp with this, once you take delivery you can't extend the warranty until the free period is up when it will cost more. Given the chaos I had on pick up day that one slipped so something to think about before delivery day. They refused to budge on that. I think it may even be on the day the order is placed. Something they don't like to offer even thou it's available to purchase. I know some people here bought it.
Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Rodium Grey, 19", Heated Windscreen, Navigation Plus, Seat sound, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack - on the road

missy

Post by missy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:37 am

Thanks Tell - that helps a lot.

Not sure yet what to do about service plan as am in two minds and need to not get carried away with even more additional monthly costs. My mileage will be low for initial few years as it will just be to work and mum visits.. In a few years (intend to keeo it for several years) when I retire early (ha ha ha) I would use it more.

I already have the AA recovery full thing and warranty add ons for his motorbike, my camper and the my mum's Rover25.. of which only the Rover is on the road! Then again the warranty on,y covers up to £500 so am assuming the extended warranty for the Seat would be full on and not restricted to value?

Is there a link to the Seat extended warranty anybody? Find the website a bit poo to be honest.

Anybody else have views on thsi servicing and maintenance packs etc?

Diolch
Seat SE 1.4 Tech, petrol, manual, in Nevada white, front camera, spare tyre and towbar. Also winter pack :)

Niggly

Post by Niggly » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:14 am

I too found the service plans a bit overwhelming - like KFC's menu. Maybe it's an age thing.

The really helpful Lucy at my local (non-supplying) dealer summarised it for me with reference to the 2 back pages. It's cheaper to purchase the 3 year plan within the first 3 months - after which you can only buy the 2 year plan. So don't forget.

Confusingly the 3 yr plan payments are spread over 2 years but cost in total the same as if paid in a single lump.

These are for a fixed mileage/annual service regime, not the variable one; but I think that's more appropriate in your case anyway. It's all so simple now.

And don't believe everything Honest John says as he's an old fuddy duddy who uses every opportunity to say that you will be uncomfortable on low profile tyres with big wheels.

I've gone for the extended 5 year warranty as the car's a keeper. As with Skoda you can add this prior to registration whereas with Audi it needs to be "built" in.
1.0 SE rolling on 18s

missy

Post by missy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:37 am

Thanks heaps for the useful information - thought it was a girl thing but will go with the age thing as well!

Have got head round the warranty thing - thanks. Have sent email to dealer to sort it out. Got confused when they called it 5 year when really it is just two years on top of the 3 that come with car (must have been written by a man!)

I am slowly getting t understand the idea behind the service plan thing but no idea if this is a good deal or not.. they don;t tell you how much these services or bits'n'bobs cost if I don't have the service deal..

Anybody got any idea - what are savings on just phoning up as and when for service with a dealer without the plan thing? Or is it more than just that?

missy

Post by missy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:38 am

ps - do new cars have MOT or need one when I 'turn up' to collect?

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:41 am

I went for both 8-)

So, first the easy one - the extended warranty. I was told that you can only get the 4 or 5 year warranty extension at order time. If you're worried about that and think you might like it then speak to your dealer. The Ateca price list says this:
SEAT Extended Warranty. If you take out a SEAT Extended Warranty before your new car is registered, you’ll get exactly the same level of cover as the three year warranty, but for up to five years. You can choose a SEAT Extended Warranty to last until the end of the 4th year/up to 75,000 miles or until the end of the 5th year/up to 90,000 miles (whichever is soonest).

PLEASE NOTE: SEAT Extended Warranty products are only available at the time of ordering your new SEAT.
So as always, conflicting information from Seat! For me it was a personal choice, risk etc. - having been stung by just out of warranty repairs once before, in the grand scheme of things the £460 for the 5-year was worth it. Others will disagree. Anecdotally cars tend to either fail / have problems in the first year, or after about 5 years. It's up to you whether you want it or not.

As for service plans - again up to you. Normally they make financial sense, but this flexible servicing malarky means you can never quite tell. Previous car was supplied on a 1 year / 12,000 miles servicing and the fixed price servicing worked out (prices at the time were 1st year service, £160, 2nd year £210, 3rd year £160 + MOT £50 - vs cost of fixed price of £350!). (Note they've now removed the free first year MOT from the plan).

I'm a low-mileage user, but that's in Greater London / Surrey / M25 traffic so even at the best of times I want to take care of a car that I'm hoping to have for 10 years. I fully suspect given my driving habits that I'll need the annual servicing so I budgeted for the annual service scheme - if it turns out I need only a 2 year servicing then, well, VW Financial Services (who actually run it) made some money out of me (less than 0.7% of the purchase price), otherwise I saved money.

The 3-year service plan costs £498. Set that against the fixed-pricing servicing costs of:
  • 1st year service: £189
  • 2nd year service: £239
  • Minor service: £169
  • Major service: £279
If you were planning on annual servicing then, costs for 3 years would be £597, vs. fixed price of £498 (Save £99)
If you were planning on two year servicing then, costs for 3 years would be £239, vs. fixed price of £498 (Lose £260)

You can set up the servicing when you pick up the car, or within 90 days if you want to go for the 3-year plan (see: http://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/ ... icing.html )
If you bought a new SEAT in the last three months, you’re eligible for a 2 or 3 year fixed price Service Plan, which gives you reassurance that your car will be serviced by trained SEAT technicians, using only approved SEAT parts.
So you have nothing to lose on the servicing by waiting until you pick up the car to talk to the dealer. Assuming of course you like your dealer, or trust a local Seat outfit with your servicing :)

In terms of 'using' the Seat plans all you need to do is book your service as normal and say that you're on the fixed price servicing and that's it. When you pick up the car the bill (subject to the usual legal exclusions!) is already settled and that's the end of the matter. I just book my car in online through Seat, giving me the free European AA cover, and when dropping the car off tell the service desk.

Be aware that some large chains of dealers offer their own service plans too (not many); what I've been describing here are the Seat plans. (Caveat emptor).
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

David_S

Post by David_S » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:43 am

missy wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:38 am
No, new cars do not need an MOT until it's 3rd anniversary. Be aware the 1.4 litre engine needs servicing a minimum every 12 months, not 2 years like previously suggested.
Enjoying since 18/01/2017:

Ateca Xcellence 1.4 Tsi, Cheapskate Blue, Seat Sound, Heated Windscreen, 19" alloys, anything else is just showing off and probably won't work anyway. :D 8-)

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:48 am

missy wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:38 am
No, brand spanking new cars do not need an MOT test for 3 years. As the driver you are still required to keep the car road legal (so cracked windscreens etc. need to be fixed) but you are not required to undergo the test until the 3rd anniversary from the registration date. (That's the date the car was first registered, NOT the date you picked up the car - they can be different). When your V5c registration certificate comes through it'll list the registration date on that if you're unsure.

See: https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot
1. When to get an MOT

The MOT test checks that your vehicle meets road safety and environmental standards.

You must get an MOT for your vehicle by either:
  • the third anniversary of its registration
  • the anniversary of its last MOT, if it’s over 3 years old
Some vehicles need to be tested at one year old - check the MOT fees table to see which.
That last URL in the quote gives all the vehicle categories in case you're curious, but for a normal mass-produced car it's 3 years.
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

Tell

Post by Tell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:58 am

I'm on this one from the brochure which works out cheaper than having your money in a bank although due to the miss build didn't cost me anything and would have gone for it
THREE YEARS/30,000 MILES COVER
Save £99

Against the current fixed price
individual prices.
36 months cover for only
24 monthly payments of £20.75
or an upfront payment of £498
Includes 1st and 2nd year services and
Minor service. Protection from inflation
– price is fixed for 24 monthly payments.
So upfront payment of £498 gives you three years years servicing, 3rd year free recovery saves £99.

16.66 % saving.
Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Rodium Grey, 19", Heated Windscreen, Navigation Plus, Seat sound, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack - on the road

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”