Key locked in boot!

All Seat Ateca related discussions
brianm

Key locked in boot!

Post by brianm » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice. My other half is away for the weekend with my Seat Ateca. God only knows how, but she has somehow locked the key in the boot! I didn't even realize that was possible. It is the Xcellence model with keyless entry so not sure why it has locked in the first place, but I would have thought she could just open the boot anyway given the key is within range of the sensor.

Would anyone have any ideas?? Otherwise, I'm looking at getting my set couriered down!

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Tim The Pines

Re: Key locked in boot!

Post by Tim The Pines » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Brian,

Worth a try, Get your wife to hold a mobile phone next to the car door, using your spare set send the signal down the phone, (phones connected obviously) May work.
Have not tried this on my Ateca but it did work on a Ford Focus

Tim
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Mato Brown, Park Assist, Double Floor

Tim The Pines

Post by Tim The Pines » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:18 pm

Back again,

Have just tried locking keys in the boot, and you cant.

Also Brian my wife has problems opening my Ateca boot, dont know why it seems easy to me.

Tim
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Mato Brown, Park Assist, Double Floor

brianm

Post by brianm » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the advice. I've actually just dropped my key to someone who is going to where she is in the morning. I'll get them to call each other and try your tip.

Like you, I don't think it's possible to lock them in the boot so I'm pretty confident something foolish has happened here. It'll probably turn out they're not even in there!!

Thanks again,

Brian

SparK

Post by SparK » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:39 pm

The diagrams show that the boot interior is within the range of the sensor for opening the tailgate. Seems strange. I've also read somewhere that you can start the car if the key is in a bag in the boot.
1.4TSI XC

Bart666

Post by Bart666 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:34 am

I've left my key in my golf bag before. Car locked I opened the boot, put my bag in, closed boot. Thankfully it let me open it again.

One issue I have had is, if you do not close the boot firmly enough it does not latch correctly & you cannot open with Kessy & you have to unlock by pressing the fob.

Have the doors been tried to see if they open?

Regards
Ateca XCELLENCE 1.4 EcoTSI 150 PS 6-speed manual, Lava Blue, Performance 18" Alloys, heated screen, double boot & mudflaps.
Ordered :- 22 Jan 2017. Delivered:- 1 April 2017

SparK

Post by SparK » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:13 am

Bart666 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:34 am

Have the doors been tried to see if they open?

Regards
Frantically I assume :lol: :lol:
1.4TSI XC

Malcster

Post by Malcster » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:21 pm

I was warned by the salesman when I collected the Ateca to be carefull not to lock the keys in the boot, it is obviously a known problem

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Tim The Pines wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:18 pm
Have just tried locking keys in the boot, and you cant.
Oh yes you can
Malcster wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:21 pm
I was warned by the salesman when I collected the Ateca to be carefull not to lock the keys in the boot, it is obviously a known problem
Same here
Bart666 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:34 am
I've left my key in my golf bag before. Car locked I opened the boot, put my bag in, closed boot. Thankfully it let me open it again.
If you opened the boot within 2min (I think it's 2mins) then that's why you were able to open it.

Yep, other cars in VW Group guilty of this too. In their wisdom, they set a timer so that after 2mins or so, the car will self-lock if none of the doors / boot has been opened.

Best implementation of Keyless entry IMO is Renault's system. When you walk out of range, the system will give an audible 'bleep' to confirm the car has locked itself - with the Ateca, you have to physically trigger the proximity sensor on the door handle. So if you've triggered the proximity sensor (could be accidentally) the car thinks you've requested it to lock. You then go to boot, open it - accidentally leave keys in car, close boot - 2mins later the system thinks - "driver wanted me to lock so..." and hey presto, keys locked in boot.

How do you accidentally trigger proximity sensor? Dead easy. Drives me crazy when say I'm washing the car. If I have the key in my pocket, I'll sometimes hear the doors locking/unlocking - even mirror closing shutting. VW keyless entry implementation is flawed - a physical button rather than a proximity sensor would solve the problem. Then again, it should be intelligent enough to detect the keys are in the car therefore it can't lock. (like Renault system)

Edit: Ignore the above re: 2mins. Just gone to test this out and yes - keys locked inside car :o Very easy to do.

NeoVector

Post by NeoVector » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Mine does the same when washing but don't think it's a proximity sensor, just the touch sensor/switch getting wet and shorting the circuit to either lock or unlock. I leave the key inside now as it gets very annoying!
1.4TSI, Lava Blue, Heated Windscreen, Top View Camera, Double Boot Floor, Space Saver Spare. Ordered 13/12/16. Build week 4/17. Collection date 01/03/17 :D

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”