Me and cars - the reality

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Accord2Ateca

Re: Me and cars - the reality

Post by Accord2Ateca » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:06 am

Well my cavalier attitude to car-care cost me money. Rather than part exchange my old car, I sold to Webuyanycar. Of course, I knew their business model was to spot every tiny defect and adjust the price down, but I thought I had made a pretty accurate measure of the car's condition. Turns out that 3 of my alloys were scraped, not 1. There were chips and scratches where I had not noticed them. Maybe I will take better care of my Ateca. With the top view camera, I don't have an excuse for kerbing the alloys anymore!

A2A
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Lava Blue, with Top View Camera & Electric Tailgate/Virtual Pedal. Ordered 24 April. Confirmed Build week 25 (19 June), Left Factory 20 June, at Port of Tyne 6 July, arrived Inverness dealer 11th July. Collected 17 July

LoftheM

Post by LoftheM » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 am

The trouble is, it's not necessarily down to how you park, sometimes it's due to other drivers forcing you into the kerb. A work colleague has given me a number of some guy that does alloy refurbs at a reasonable rate, in preparation (not sure what he's trying to tell me about my driving :lol: )
1.4 TSI SE Rhodium Grey, winter pack, sat nav, heated windscreen, rear view camera and space saving wheel :D. Build week 30, Pick up beginning of September (apparently)

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:11 am

LoftheM wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 am
The trouble is, it's not necessarily down to how you park, sometimes it's due to other drivers forcing you into the kerb. A work colleague has given me a number of some guy that does alloy refurbs at a reasonable rate, in preparation (not sure what he's trying to tell me about my driving :lol: )
Yeah, I had some right idiots make me choose curb or crash when they overtook on hatching and pulled in front due to traffic islands. I chose the cheaper curb scrape. My point being it's not always the parking which ruins the alloys - and why I fitted a dash cam.

Sad truth of life though - we're in the real world and bad things happens :(

If you want to go to one of these mainline used car buyers and have a bit of visible damage then you are better off getting the damage repaired first 'cos they knock you down way more than they should for every minor dink.
On order: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed build week 26&27&28 :x

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:56 am

Accord2Ateca wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:06 am
Well my cavalier attitude to car-care cost me money. Rather than part exchange my old car, I sold to Webuyanycar. Of course, I knew their business model was to spot every tiny defect and adjust the price down, but I thought I had made a pretty accurate measure of the car's condition. Turns out that 3 of my alloys were scraped, not 1. There were chips and scratches where I had not noticed them.
A2A
'
Glad you're aware of the business model. I often read negative comments from people who sell to auction sites together with people who somehow 'get screwed' when they hand back their lease / PCP only to discover they have to pay fees for every bump and scratch.

What planet are these people living on because when I do read such comment, I keep asking myself the same question - where is this magical dealership that ignores any bumps, scratches and poor condition of the car you're trading in? In my 36 years of buying and selling cars, I've yet to come across it.

LoftheM

Post by LoftheM » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

I'm generally grateful for whatever I can get, when I've done a part ex :D
1.4 TSI SE Rhodium Grey, winter pack, sat nav, heated windscreen, rear view camera and space saving wheel :D. Build week 30, Pick up beginning of September (apparently)

Saggy

Post by Saggy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:52 pm

my car is usually dirty ............. just like me :lol:
Red Xcellence 18" 190 4wd DSG Heated windscreen, Tail foot wiggle, SEAT sound, Park Assist I still don't use....

Saggy

Post by Saggy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:53 pm

LoftheM wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm
I'm generally grateful for whatever I can get
me too ;)
Red Xcellence 18" 190 4wd DSG Heated windscreen, Tail foot wiggle, SEAT sound, Park Assist I still don't use....

kee

Post by kee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07 am

Golfmk56 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:56 am
Accord2Ateca wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:06 am
Well my cavalier attitude to car-care cost me money. Rather than part exchange my old car, I sold to Webuyanycar. Of course, I knew their business model was to spot every tiny defect and adjust the price down, but I thought I had made a pretty accurate measure of the car's condition. Turns out that 3 of my alloys were scraped, not 1. There were chips and scratches where I had not noticed them.
A2A
'
Glad you're aware of the business model. I often read negative comments from people who sell to auction sites together with people who somehow 'get screwed' when they hand back their lease / PCP only to discover they have to pay fees for every bump and scratch.

What planet are these people living on because when I do read such comment, I keep asking myself the same question - where is this magical dealership that ignores any bumps, scratches and poor condition of the car you're trading in? In my 36 years of buying and selling cars, I've yet to come across it.
Im about to sell through tootle to a garage that has its own body's hop and expanded into second hand car sales. I took lots of photos of the damage on my car, dings dents scuffs and kerbing on all 4 wheels. Anyhow, they've agreed to pay 9.5k when webuyanycar were well below 9, even before seeing my car and no doubt about to knock it down further. I tried hard to get closer to 10 even resorting to wasting 40 quid on autotrader where my best private hint of interest was 9.5k as well. Anyhow, the trade guy is coming to my house to pick up the car on Friday and he's even already transferred the full amount into my bank! Miracles do exist!!
Ordered 22/4; BW 22; collected 25/6! 1.4 SE-T DSG, Bila, s/roof, pwr boot, lower grill, rear cam, park assist, boot flr, conv pack, disco leds, tinted rears

i.e. an Xcellence with nicer wheels and minus the "old man" leather (per my missus)

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”