Concerned about semi-rigid axle on 2WD models

All Seat Ateca related discussions
pgb

Concerned about semi-rigid axle on 2WD models

Post by pgb » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:55 am

I have ordered a 1.4 EcoTSI and, having read a few negative comments about the quality of the ride from the 2WD's semi-rigid axle, I am a little concerned.

Can anyone who has driven both the 2WD and 4DRIVE tell me, is there an issue. I have ordered the XCELLENCE’s standard 18" wheels.

:?

Fred99

Re: Concerned about semi-rigid axle on 2WD models

Post by Fred99 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:30 am

I have driven the 2WD on 18" and the 4WD on 19". The ride on the 19" was firmer. Neither are worth worrying about. It may be harder than some of the competition but that is the price you pay for the best handling SUV in that segment.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Fred - do you think it's fair to say that all Seat variants would have a relatively smooth ride in Spain even though the 19" wheels would have made it a little firmer? My personal issue in the UK is the ability of the 2wd 1.4 to pick up too many imperfections, even tiny ones. It doesn't just pick up the worst ones. It probably comes down to the quality of our roads. Driving to Stansted Airport last week from Braintree the road felt like a mirror. Driving from Colchester to Braintree it certainly didn't. It's my personal view at the end if the day.

pgb - I presume you were happy with the test drive. Did you drive it a fair distance?
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Excellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Only you can decide what is acceptable to you. Yes, the Spanish roads are very good and potholes are rare. Personally I think that if you are that concerned about the ride, neither axle option will make any difference. The only option is to buy a soggy rolly car that lurches round the corners.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Bartel

Post by Bartel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:17 pm

I live in a crater named belgium and I think the ride is ok, a bit firm but ok.
My a6 had a lowered a stiffer ride than the ateca
1.4 TSI, manual, Nevada white, Xcellence, sunroof, 18" machined, electric boot, rear camera,...

loffler

Post by loffler » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:50 pm

I am a SEAT veteran having owned 4 previously and the stiff handling is one of the features I like about SEAT.
I test drove both the 2WD and 4WD and didn't really notice a difference at the time but was mostly motorway/A roads.
I bought the 2WD and on the country B roads I commute to work on everyday I notice the difference from my Leons and Alteas.
It is very stiff but it is the noise that I notice rather than the ride or vibration - I find my ears take more abuse than my body. With an empty car, it can be quite noisy, all coming from the back axle. With a full boot or passengers in the back its less noticeable.
For many including myself, its a price worth paying for the great handling. If you never or rarely open the throttle up or constantly drive with an empty car, it might grate after a while.
Jungle Green 1.4 EcoTSi DSG Xcellence
Heated Windscreen and Virtual Pedal
Ordered 3rd Feb - Delivered 24th Apr

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:59 pm

Yes, the resonance given off from the rear probably makes the ride sound noisy!!
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Excellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm

tobydog wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:59 pm
Yes, the resonance given off from the rear probably makes the ride sound noisy!!
You need to put some sound Deadening mats where the spare wheel lives, as this is just bare metal in typical Skoda/SEAT fashion to save money, cost you less than £20 on ebay etc we will make all the difference. I pulled mine off on my old Leon
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal & Keyless Entry.

loffler

Post by loffler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:16 am

That's a good idea, might try that. So you're saying line the spare wheel cavity with sound absorbing material right - or the whole boot under the card tray?

Having a quick look on eBay, they mostly have foam material. Is the stuff your are talking about foam or felt/fabric?
Any suggestions, this stuff maybe?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soundproofing ... 2313552526
Jungle Green 1.4 EcoTSi DSG Xcellence
Heated Windscreen and Virtual Pedal
Ordered 3rd Feb - Delivered 24th Apr

jamesiow

Post by jamesiow » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:11 am

loffler wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:16 am
That's a good idea, might try that. So you're saying line the spare wheel cavity with sound absorbing material right - or the whole boot under the card tray?

Having a quick look on eBay, they mostly have foam material. Is the stuff your are talking about foam or felt/fabric?
Any suggestions, this stuff maybe?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soundproofing ... 2313552526
I did the boot tray where the spare wheel is, It is just bare metal there. obviously if you have time wanted to take bits the plastic trim will be great around the wheel arches too. I wait for that project until I fit the rear power socket in the boot!

yes that is the similar stuff the one I had was sticky on the back, peeled off plastic cover and it sticks to the metal
ATECA SE 1.0 Technology, Petrol, Manual, Samoa Orange, Park Assist, Convenience Pack, Top view camera with rear view camera, Electric Tailgate with Virtual Pedal & Keyless Entry.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”