Automatic handbrake questions

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Accord2Ateca

Automatic handbrake questions

Post by Accord2Ateca » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:03 am

The Ateca Xcellence is the first car I've owned without a physical handbrake. It has "P" and "A" buttons to the driver's left hand side. I don't fully understand the function of each button. When I test drove the Ateca, I think I manually put on the "P" handbrake and it then released itself (?) when I drove off. With my own Ateca, it puts the handbrake on itself (Green handbrake sign lights up on dashboard). When I drive off it releases automatically. When I switch the engine off the Green handbrake light changes to Red.

So what is the precise function of each button? (P and A)
What is the correct procedure for parking up?

Thanks
A2A
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Lava Blue, with Top View Camera & Electric Tailgate/Virtual Pedal. Ordered 24 April. Confirmed Build week 25 (19 June), Left Factory 20 June, at Port of Tyne 6 July, arrived Inverness dealer 11th July. Collected 17 July

Ghiggz

Re: Automatic handbrake questions

Post by Ghiggz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:38 am

P is the proper parking electric handbrake, A is autohold which the mechanical foot brake calipers lock on every time you stop, eg at lights, in traffic, at junctions, and to help with pulling away on an incline etc
Not everyone uses Autohold, but I love it... with autohold off you have to manually activate P or keep foot on brake or the car will roll...
with autohold once the green light comes on you can take foot off brake..

P will only activate automatically if you switch off the engine or open drivers door, other than that it needs to be manually pressed...
both A&P will auto release upon moving away, lifting clutch (manual) or throttle down (auto)..

Only major difference is with P (red light) the brake lights go out, with A (green light) they remain lit...
A also only works with drivers door closed, if you open door, P activates!
Silver Ateca SE 1.6tdi

Accord2Ateca

Post by Accord2Ateca » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:37 pm

Ghiggz wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:38 am
P is the proper parking electric handbrake, A is autohold which the mechanical foot brake calipers lock on every time you stop, eg at lights, in traffic, at junctions, and to help with pulling away on an incline etc
Not everyone uses Autohold, but I love it... with autohold off you have to manually activate P or keep foot on brake or the car will roll...
with autohold once the green light comes on you can take foot off brake..

P will only activate automatically if you switch off the engine or open drivers door, other than that it needs to be manually pressed...
both A&P will auto release upon moving away, lifting clutch (manual) or throttle down (auto)..

Only major difference is with P (red light) the brake lights go out, with A (green light) they remain lit...
A also only works with drivers door closed, if you open door, P activates!
Thanks Ghiggz, so driving around with A always on and letting the car do it stuff is just fine then? I never manually use P, because A always beats me to it! :D

It suits my driving, because I tended to put the handbrake on at lights rather than hold the car with foot brake or clutch. So the car does that for me.
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Lava Blue, with Top View Camera & Electric Tailgate/Virtual Pedal. Ordered 24 April. Confirmed Build week 25 (19 June), Left Factory 20 June, at Port of Tyne 6 July, arrived Inverness dealer 11th July. Collected 17 July

Ghiggz

Post by Ghiggz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:49 pm

yeah me too, I never touch P (handbrake), just let autohold kick in, and when you turn off engine P auto engages!!
Just remember that A will leave brake lights on, only P turns them off...
Silver Ateca SE 1.6tdi

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:35 pm

With DSG cars the situation is slightly different as the combination of SS, AH and PB can affect the response to moving off. As a result, I tend to keep the AH off as the natural "creep" of a DSG means you will not roll back on a slight incline. I only use the PB when I have "finished with engines" (a nautical term!)
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

DSG4WD

Post by DSG4WD » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:42 pm

I leave everything on and let the car sort it out - works just fine :D
Lava blue Excellence 190 DSG 4WD with heated windscreen, park assist, spare wheel, top view camera, adaptive cruise control and boot organiser nets.

Saggy

Post by Saggy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:35 pm

DSG4WD wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:42 pm
Me too :)
Red Xcellence 18" 190 4wd DSG Heated windscreen, Tail foot wiggle, SEAT sound, Park Assist I still don't use....

Ghiggz

Post by Ghiggz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:40 pm

causes habit forming, when I use the car all weekend, then drive my works van on monday and keep getting out without putting the handbrake on.... lol!!
Silver Ateca SE 1.6tdi

Lcchull

Post by Lcchull » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:57 pm

DSG4WD wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:42 pm
I do the same leave the car to it
Just have to brainwash myself when I drive something else!
1.6se technology ecomotive Samoa orange ( The Satsuma) on the road 16/12/16 ;)

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Yes, it does work fine. I seem to remember that it was Tel who went on and on about how SS interfered with his ability to pull away at a roundabout/junction etc and have 50% of all German DSG drivers agreed with him! He is still banging on about it on his lonely forum, but there is no one there to listen!

With DSG it does work better when maneuvering to turn AH off, if you use park assist the ability to "creep" is important, otherwise you can find it difficult to control the slow speed maneuvers as they can get a bit lurchy.

Manual owners really don't need to worry about it as you have a clutch and more control than you have with auto.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”