Automatic handbrake questions

All Seat Ateca related discussions
davon
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Re: Automatic handbrake questions

Post by davon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Just 2 simple questions for you:

1. Could I switch the Electric brake off manualy?
2. What do you think about freezy night, if there is -10 outside? Could the brake freeze over like older CARS with manual Hand brake?


FrAteca
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Automatic handbrake questions

Post by FrAteca » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:35 am

I have a 1.5 DSG, I have never seen a green light on the A button and I do not think the auto hold is even working..As I have noticed a few times the car rolling back on hill so I quickly put my foot on the gas to get it going before I hit the car behind me!!

do I need to activate this somehow?


Fred99
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:11 pm
Location: Granada, Spain

Re: Automatic handbrake questions

Post by Fred99 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:07 pm

When you activate AH by pressing down on the switch, a red light illuminates on the switch.

Personally I use both the AH and PB manually as needed.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.


FrAteca
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Automatic handbrake questions

Post by FrAteca » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:20 pm

Fred99 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:07 pm
When you activate AH by pressing down on the switch, a red light illuminates on the switch.

Personally I use both the AH and PB manually as needed.
FML i thought red light on the A button means switching it off! will try it today on a hill with the red light on


nitrous
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Automatic handbrake questions

Post by nitrous » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:34 pm

FrAteca wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:20 pm
Fred99 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:07 pm
When you activate AH by pressing down on the switch, a red light illuminates on the switch.

Personally I use both the AH and PB manually as needed.
FML i thought red light on the A button means switching it off! will try it today on a hill with the red light on
LOL, a few sweaty palm moments no doubt :lol: - There is a red light on the AH 'end' of the switch, press down to toggle. PB is pull up to engage (red light also).

The green light refers to what you see on the dashboard. When you come to a stop and press the brake enough, it illuminates green. This shows AH is active. If you flick the PB up, the light will change to red showing PB is now active instead of just AH. It also turns the brake lights off I believe.

I love AH, it works so smoothly on mine (1.4TSi Manual).

Hope you find it useful too!


FrAteca
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Automatic handbrake questions

Post by FrAteca » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:11 pm

nitrous wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:34 pm
FrAteca wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:20 pm
Fred99 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:07 pm
When you activate AH by pressing down on the switch, a red light illuminates on the switch.

Personally I use both the AH and PB manually as needed.
FML i thought red light on the A button means switching it off! will try it today on a hill with the red light on
LOL, a few sweaty palm moments no doubt :lol: - There is a red light on the AH 'end' of the switch, press down to toggle. PB is pull up to engage (red light also).

The green light refers to what you see on the dashboard. When you come to a stop and press the brake enough, it illuminates green. This shows AH is active. If you flick the PB up, the light will change to red showing PB is now active instead of just AH. It also turns the brake lights off I believe.

I love AH, it works so smoothly on mine (1.4TSi Manual).

Hope you find it useful too!
That makes sense now why i see a green pedal symbol sometimes on the dash..here is me thinking fuck is this :lol:

I would have thought the hill stop is automatic tho. I did mess about with that button when i was trying to switch the auto start-stop off.

defo sweaty palm moments..at one point the park assist brake saved me :lol:


Fred99
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:11 pm
Location: Granada, Spain

Re: Automatic handbrake questions

Post by Fred99 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:32 pm

AH is automatic if it is switched on. It holds the car when needed and releases (doesnt turn it off) when you pull away.

I prefer to use it when I need it as it tends to slow the getaway with a DSG box and is a real pain while parking etc as the really useful "creep" that you get with DSG is prevented when it is on.

I only use the PB when properly parked. Putting the DSG in "Park" is adequate most of the time.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.


FrAteca
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Automatic handbrake questions

Post by FrAteca » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:22 pm

Right just tested it out..and that is exactky what i wanted and thought was missing from this car!

why is it not automatically on tho? I have to switch the button on myself at the start of my journey. There must be a way to have these on when starting the car and then the option to switch off if you want too.


nitrous
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Automatic handbrake questions

Post by nitrous » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:31 pm

Hmm, mine stays on when I restart my car... Does yours not?
Try stopping the car with AH on, flick the PB on manually if you like (or else it will happen automatically when you turn the car off).
When you restart the car, just drive away without touching the switch. It should still be on next time you stop.
Hopefully. Though I'm sure your reactions are pretty good now ;)


FrAteca
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Automatic handbrake questions

Post by FrAteca » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:35 pm

nitrous wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:31 pm
Hmm, mine stays on when I restart my car... Does yours not?
Try stopping the car with AH on, flick the PB on manually if you like (or else it will happen automatically when you turn the car off).
When you restart the car, just drive away without touching the switch. It should still be on next time you stop.
Hopefully. Though I'm sure your reactions are pretty good now ;)
i will give that a try. Just will be doing a pitstop for an hour will see if it stays on when i get back in the car.

haha yup reactions like a ninja now :lol:


Post Reply

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”