Automatic handbrake questions

All Seat Ateca related discussions
DSG4WD

Re: Automatic handbrake questions

Post by DSG4WD » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:53 pm

Fred99 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:38 pm
Yes, it does work fine. I seem to remember that it was Tel who went on and on about how SS interfered with his ability to pull away at a roundabout/junction etc and have 50% of all German DSG drivers agreed with him! He is still banging on about it on his lonely forum, but there is no one there to listen!

With DSG it does work better when maneuvering to turn AH off, if you use park assist the ability to "creep" is important, otherwise you can find it difficult to control the slow speed maneuvers as they can get a bit lurchy.

Manual owners really don't need to worry about it as you have a clutch and more control than you have with auto.
Fred, I don't find this a problem. I've got in the habit of giving the accelerator a quick tap to get going and it then creeps and can be driven on the brake. Light brake pressure does not reinstate auto hold or stop/start even if you stop the car. It's worth developing some different techniques to get the maximum out of the new technology.
Lava blue Excellence 190 DSG 4WD with heated windscreen, park assist, spare wheel, top view camera, adaptive cruise control and boot organiser nets.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:20 pm

Another 'set and forget' supporter.

The system in the mk7 Golf was identical, the only difference being the handbrake wasn't so keen on releasing when moving away with the result small black tyre skid-marks appeared on the driveway. The autohold (footbrake) alwways worked OK, but no smooth getaways when the Parking brake released. (I'm sure a few blobs of WD40 would have cured the problem :lol: ) I'm sure I've read of some other VW group cars having similar issues.

Can't in anyway fault the system on the Ateca though, it works perfectly. Easily the best electronic brake system I've used.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:37 pm

All I am saying is that on a DSG the AH doesn’t do much as if it is off, the car creeps so it does not roll back but it does make a difference in tight manoeuvres as with it on you do not get the creep effect which can make life easier.

It all works perfectly well with it on but it can be useful to turn it off. If you don’t find that useful, fine, but I do. Make you own decision. I am merely pointing out that it is an option that is not described in the manual.

Take it or leave it - I don’t really care.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

nsign77

Post by nsign77 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:51 am

So if I've understood this correctly, P should come on automatically when the engine is turned off? This doesn't seem to work for me. I mostly leave AH off. Is that the reason?
Order date: 5th May 2017. 1.4 TSI DSG Xcellence in Bila white with the xcellence pack and space Saver spare. Build week: 25. Arrival in the UK: 3rd July. Collected 28th July. 12 weeks form order to collection.

Cristi

Post by Cristi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:13 am

From what I could see, the parking brake is also influenced by disabling the AH. It will not automatically engage when you switch off the engine by choice if AH is off(only when AH is on). Nevertheless it will switch off automatically when you start and select D to pull away. I also find it easier to switch AH off for tight maneuvers. If AH is on, you could also avoid activating hold function by not going to a complete stop but just always keeping it slowly creeping.

LoftheM

Post by LoftheM » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:06 am

Saggy wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:35 pm
DSG4WD wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:42 pm
I leave everything on and let the car sort it out - works just fine :D
Me too :)
I'm going to be in this camp when I get mine. This car is way more sophisticated compared to anything else I've driven, so it's best I keep things simple :lol:
1.4 TSI SE Rhodium Grey, winter pack, sat nav, heated windscreen & convenience pack, rear view camera and space saving wheel :D.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:24 am

LoftheM wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:06 am

I'm going to be in this camp when I get mine. This car is way more sophisticated compared to anything else I've driven, so it's best I keep things simple :lol:
That's very true and if your car is a manual then I cannot see any reason not to use PB and AH in the normal way.

My comments relate to DSG cars where other factors come into play which are not relevant to a manual car.

Yes, it's perfectly possible to get the car to disengage AH, by a tap on the throttle, but try that when you are doing a tight parking maneuvre or using park assist and you might find you have a problem! I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the system, but you can improve on it if you take the trouble.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

DSG4WD

Post by DSG4WD » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:52 am

Fred99 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:37 pm
All I am saying is that on a DSG the AH doesn’t do much as if it is off, the car creeps so it does not roll back but it does make a difference in tight manoeuvres as with it on you do not get the creep effect which can make life easier.

It all works perfectly well with it on but it can be useful to turn it off. If you don’t find that useful, fine, but I do. Make you own decision. I am merely pointing out that it is an option that is not described in the manual.

Take it or leave it - I don’t really care.
Blimey, missed out on your medication today? I was simply relating my experience. Like you say, take it or leave it.
Lava blue Excellence 190 DSG 4WD with heated windscreen, park assist, spare wheel, top view camera, adaptive cruise control and boot organiser nets.

Accord2Ateca

Post by Accord2Ateca » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks everyone. It just seemed far too easy and fitted by driving style perfectly, so I thought I must be doing something wrong! An added bonus is that my wife has not yet driven the car, because she is worried about the automatic breaking being troublesome. She can stick to her mini then :)
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Lava Blue, with Top View Camera & Electric Tailgate/Virtual Pedal. Ordered 24 April. Confirmed Build week 25 (19 June), Left Factory 20 June, at Port of Tyne 6 July, arrived Inverness dealer 11th July. Collected 17 July

LoftheM

Post by LoftheM » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:10 am

Accord2Ateca wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:33 am
Thanks everyone. It just seemed far too easy and fitted by driving style perfectly, so I thought I must be doing something wrong! An added bonus is that my wife has not yet driven the car, because she is worried about the automatic breaking being troublesome. She can stick to her mini then :)
I felt like that after the test drive. It was a strange concept just getting out of the car without having to manually put a handbrake on :-)
1.4 TSI SE Rhodium Grey, winter pack, sat nav, heated windscreen & convenience pack, rear view camera and space saving wheel :D.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”