Tyre wear

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Carty80

Tyre wear

Post by Carty80 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:45 pm

After 6 months and 7k miles I've noticed that my front tyres are down to 3.5-4mm, which is a little more wear than what I was hoping.

Based on the current wear rate, I envisage that I'll be replacing the front tyres at around 10k miles (I usually change tyres when they wear to 3mm).

A little bit disappointing with this wear rate, but glad I've got the bog standard 17" wheels as the tyres aren't too expensive.

Rears have hardly worn at all (6.5mm remaining).
1.0 TSI SE Nevada White

Ghiggz

Re: Tyre wear

Post by Ghiggz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:23 am

Could be down to tire brand too??
I've got the diesel, with similar conditions, basic 17s on Pirellis, just approaching 9 months with coming up to 7k, fronts are on 5, backs on 7.
Not massively different.
Silver Ateca SE 1.6tdi

Carty80

Post by Carty80 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Good point, mine came with Hancook branded tyres. Not had them before so I'll check if they are a softer compound than what I usually go for (typically Good year).
1.0 TSI SE Nevada White

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:56 am

Front wheel drive cars wear their front tyres quicker than the rears, however, throw a heavier diesel engine into the mix and this is often accelerated. In theory the lighter 1.0 TSI should be much easier on its front tyres so having them down to 3.5 to 4mm in such a short time / distance doesn't say much for the Hankook. Rather than getting new fronts, I would recommend having the fronts swapped with the backs which should give you another 6 - 9 months of use before you have to replace all four. That will then give you the option of looking at another brand for all four wheels. Getting new Hankooks on the front alone doesn't seem to make financial sense, and mixing brands on front and back is generally not advised if it can be avoided.

My previous Mitsubishi ASX 1.6 petrol put 27,000 miles on its Yokohama Aspec tyres before I changed them. Even then there was a few mm of tread left , however, they had just become noisy and a little scary in the wet. I replaced them with Michelin CrossClimate. Quieter, more comfortable, very reassuring in the winter and, after 12 months and 12,000 miles, they looked hardly used. Sadly an option I currently don't have.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:35 pm

tobydog wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:56 am
Front wheel drive cars wear their front tyres quicker than the rears, however, throw a heavier diesel engine into the mix and this is often accelerated. In theory the lighter 1.0 TSI should be much easier on its front tyres so having them down to 3.5 to 4mm in such a short time / distance doesn't say much for the Hankook.
'
Exactly what I was thinking - 1.0 being lighter and less low down torque, tyre wear should be way less than tdi units - and never read of any such tyre issues with tdi. ( Assuming of course the 1.6 version of your particular model also uses same tyres).

Have to say I was concerned when my mk6 golf came with Hankooks - cheap Korean rubbish was my first thought. Put it this way, when both fronts on our Focus were punctured (drove over broken glass), I replaced the very expensive factory Michelin's with... Hankook's !!! I just thought they were so much better than Michelin - they wore less, were quieter and I swear good for an extra couple of mpg. I'd actually have been happy paying more for Hankooks than Michelin's ! Can't say what they're like on the Ateca, but on the Golf / Focus they were better than the factory default Michelin's (my mk5 Golf had those expensive Michelin's too).

Having read your other post, perhaps there's a link - you're suggesting there's something up with the clutch? Well if that ain't working correctly you may be generating excessive tyre spin which would lead to premature wear? Just a thought. :idea:

Are you sure it's a clutch smell and not simply burning rubber?

Cristi

Post by Cristi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Maybe check your wheel alignment. This could even get messed up from hitting a large pothole.

Saggy

Post by Saggy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:23 pm

ohhhh i'm on 10k I suppose I ought to check mine
Red Xcellence 18" 190 4wd DSG Heated windscreen, Tail foot wiggle, SEAT sound, Park Assist I still don't use....

Graham B

Post by Graham B » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Swap the front and rear tyres round and you should get 15k out of a set.
Hankook tyres run very well and grip well in the wet and there's a lot less road noise with them.
I've got a 170 Exeo at the moment and can get 15k out of a set 225/40/18s.
My Ateca 1.4 Xcellence should be here late September
Ordered 1.4 TSI Xcellence with heated front screen and panoramic sun roof in Rodium Grey. DELIVERED 12 SEPT FINALLY

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:52 pm

The user manual does suggest changing round the tyres.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Graham B wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:27 pm
Swap the front and rear tyres round and you should get 15k out of a set.
Hankook tyres run very well and grip well in the wet and there's a lot less road noise with them.
I've got a 170 Exeo at the moment and can get 15k out of a set 225/40/18s.
My Ateca 1.4 Xcellence should be here late September
'
15k from a full set of tyres :shock: There's either something wrong with the car's setup or how someone drives if they can only achieve 15k from a set of tyres. Would defo suggest not ruining a perfectly good rear set of tyres and have the problem investigated

There's another post of someone today who's done 17,000 miles in their Ateca. Would be interesting to know what the depth is of the front and rear treads on their car. (and remember, that's the vastly more powerful and heavier 2.0tdi unit.) Has anyone else had to change tyres on their Ateca's yet due to tyre wear?

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”