Tyre wear

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Silvertouran

Re: Tyre wear

Post by Silvertouran » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:31 am

I don’t know how i managed 26k either. I don’t drive fast, rarely above 60mph or corner fast. Could be down to tyre pressures too. Mines is a company car so I don’t have to worry about the price but the lease company won’t change them till they are on the tread wear indicators so that means we get the full mileage from them.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi Valleyboy. I hope you pick this up. You mentioned about getting back to me in the coming weeks when you've had time to review your new Michelin Primacy 3's. Any chance of a review for the limited few days you have had them on the car? I might be making an order this weekend and these tyres are currently at the top of my list.

Does anyone else have the Primacy 3's that they could comment on, primarily ride quality and handling, and also how they feel if they replaced 215/50/18 Bridgestone Turanza T001's.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:30 pm

If it's of any help to someone:

Blackcircles currently selling 215/50/18 Turanza's (as fitted to most of Atecas) at £98.63 each ( fitted ) but if you buy 4 you get £25 discount i.e. £369.52 fitted. Seems like a good deal.

You can also buy them ( without fitting ) from a place called giga-tyres.co.uk for £78.85. They're also selling Falken Azenis FK453cc for £82.05 - according to specs, these are quieter than the Bridgestones. Falken FK510 which came top out of a recent test are £88.10, the only minus point I guess is high rolling resistance i.e. higher fuel consumption.

I see Hankook as well as several other manufacturers now producing tyres in this size which is good news for competition and hopefully we won't see Bridgestones selling at £180 a corner again. A few 'budget' manufacturers sell all weather tyres but to best of my knowledge no mainstream tyre manufacture producing an all-weather tyre in this size. Michelin say they have no plans to produce 215/50/18 cross-climates.

Furion

Post by Furion » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:36 am

Golfmk56 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:30 pm
If it's of any help to someone:

Blackcircles currently selling 215/50/18 Turanza's (as fitted to most of Atecas) at £98.63 each ( fitted ) but if you buy 4 you get £25 discount i.e. £369.52 fitted. Seems like a good deal.
speedyswheels.co.uk are selling the above for £94.51 includes VAT fitting, balancing & new rubber valve, mobile fitting service, or free shipping. They also have a price match promise and next day fitting

Came across this company while surfing, I haven’t used them personally and I am not sure if they are national or or confined to a given area.
Furion
Ordered 27/06 : Build Completed WK40, Expected Nov
Ateca Xcellence Lux 2.0TDI 150 DSG 4Drive, Black Magic. MY20
Gone but not forgotten : Jaguar XF 3.0TDV6 2011

dlj6964

Post by dlj6964 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Good afternoon all. Can anyone tell me for sure what the original tread depth of the Falcon Azenis 18 inch on an ateca excellence 6 months old now,
would have been please. I saw somewhere that it could have been 7 or 8 mm.
I am disappointed to see that mine are around 6.5 mm after 5000 miles , if it started at 7 fine but if 8 then not do good.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:00 pm

I still have around 3mm left on all the tyres but the Bridgestone Turanza's have got too rough and noisy with 24,500 miles on them. The refinement does definitely fall off as the miles ramp up and it's nowhere near what it was from new.

As I'll probably be saying goodbye to the Ateca next June, I couldn't justify spending the best part of £140-150 per corner for Michelin Primacy 3's. Also, as I will have to change the tyres at some point between now and June anyway, I thought it best to do it now so I can get maximum benefit from them through the colder months. To my surprise, I found that "mytyres" are selling the Falken Azenis FK453CC in the 215/50/18 92W size for just £70.50 per tyre. With fitting and balancing at just £10.50 per corner that was too good to ignore. £81 per corner fitted :shock: .

It turns out that the fitting garage partner is the same one that I've been going to for many years. Hope he doesn't recognise me :oops:

Just thought you might want to know if you're looking at changing now.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Rory

Post by Rory » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:26 pm

How are people measuring tyres - with a proper tread depth gauge, or just estimating?

I thought fronts of ours - 17" Bridgestone Turanaza's - didn't look far off the treadwear indicators, which was a bit shocking at 11K miles. However I remembered I had a vernier caliper and they measure 4.5mm with that, although still not great, especially going into winter. Weirdly one side (NS) looked more worn than the other, but they measured the same at multiple points. 6mm on the rears.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:43 am

To be honest, I just look at what the wear indicator represents (1.6mm) and roughly estimate what the difference is. I also know what I had on the tyres in June when the car was serviced.

I swapped the tyres (back to front) at 10,000 miles which is why I've got a fairly even amount of tread left all round (maybe slightly more on the back). I knew I wanted to change brand on all four tyres together at some point rather than have to put new Bridgestone's just on the front. Hence, the reason I'm now changing to four Falken's.

I know it's a personal thing but I don't like getting my tyres down to just 1.6mm before changing. It's stupidly little tread, especially in the winter. I believe that the minimum in Germany is 3mm.

Rory

Post by Rory » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:35 pm

tobydog wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:43 am
I believe that the minimum in Germany is 3mm.
It's 1.6mm - same as here.

Our local VW dealer told me in their best serious voice that the tyres on our Golf were "worn close to the European legal limit of 3mm". There's no such thing, and the tyres were 4-5mm. Car went to an indie after that (and other issues). Bought next VW from a different dealer.

I too prefer to change all four at once - had Michelin Cross Climates on the Golf, which the Ateca replaced, and am thinking of those again. However rotating tyres isn't a regular thing here - I had Costco do it on our Tiguan but next time I asked they refused as "it's not a service we offer". Yet in the US they do it free if you bought from them, or for a very nominal cost if you pay. I've found an indie tyre place who will lift the car on a 2 post lift (I always feel unfortable when larger cars are jacked up a corner at a time) and swap them for £20, which I'm happy with.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Maybe that's where I got the 3mm from.

I too would swap to Michelin CrossClimates (had them on another car) but no good for the 215/50/18 size.

It was mentioned on an earlier thread that some garages won't swap front to back if the tread depth difference is too much. General rule is that more goes on the back, even with front wheel drive, so if you've worn your fronts down too far they won't do it.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”