Auto braking driving me nuts

All Seat Ateca related discussions
tobydog

Auto braking driving me nuts

Post by tobydog » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:01 pm

I'm now getting seriously fed up with the auto braking :x . I've already set it to its lowest setting but it still went off twice yesterday in 10 minutes. The first time I got the big red scary warning in the middle of the dash, the warning sound, but oddly no brakes. Also, oddly, nothing anywhere in sight. The second time the brakes did slam on, as usual, in a country lane but this time I couldn't see any overhanging vegetation which is the usual culprit. Nearly gave me a heart attack :shock: . I'm now getting overly conscious of it rather than having it sit in the background like ABS.

In two months it's now happened on about 9 or 10 occasions and it's only a matter of time before it causes the accident it's trying to prevent. Any advice? Should I log this as an official safety problem with SEAT HQ. I don't want to have to go through the faff of turning it off every start up because it's not as simple as pressing a button like the Stop / Start. Also, if I turn it off and I run someone down, can I ever argue that it wasn't my fault?.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Welshman

Re: Auto braking driving me nuts

Post by Welshman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:08 pm

I can imagine how scary this might be and the reduction in confidence that you have for the vehicle. I believe that that the frequency of these occurrences warrant a strong word with the dealership, saying that will they take responsibility ofr any accidents that occur due to a computer malfunction. I suggest that you record future occurences in terms of speed/environment (rural/urban/suburban, narrow or wide road) and this can act as evidence, should you require it. A direct involvement with the dealership is a first step under the warranty and if you fail to get any satisfactory response then quote some evidence from this forum, for you are not the first to experience this. The dealership will, on the defensive, contact SEAT HQ, to point out the position they have been put into. Good luck with this, for no-one on this forum would wish this to happen, for it undermines one's confidence and increases stress whilst driving.

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Agree, first port of call is your SEAT dealership - it's clearly either overly sensitive or malfunctioning so has become a safety issue. Get them to look at it on that premise and see if they can do anything.

If they can't your next step is get through to SEAT UK.
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks guys. I'm popping into the dealership next weekend anyway so they can fit a new set of wipers. They've been driving me nuts as well because they badly smear on the return sweep and have done since day one. Might have to leave the car with them to sort the auto braking.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:58 pm

tobydog wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:01 pm
Also, if I turn it off and I run someone down, can I ever argue that it wasn't my fault?.
That's an interesting point. Auto braking is now mandatory on new cars if they want to get a 5 star NCAP rating. You could argue that turning it off is deliberately decreasing the safety of your car.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:23 pm

I mentioned that to the service manager at my dealership this afternoon. He said that the auto braking is just an auxiliary back up to which I said "Well that should make me fell better at the funeral". He's going to do some homework on the matter and the car will go in next Saturday anyway. It's interesting that he told me there's a sensor behind the lower front bumper and on the windscreen :? . I questioned whether these are actually anything to do with the various other driver assist options and that the auto braking sensor is behind the SEAT badge. The line went quiet which didn't fill me with confidence. I'll report back.

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:12 pm

Lower bumper is for adaptive cruise control, upper screen is for headlight assist, lane assist, rain wipers, auto-lights.

Problem with service managers is that this is such a new car they don't really have the experience with them yet. There has to be a way to calibrate the sensitivity of the front assist sensor.
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 am

Etchings wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:12 pm
Lower bumper is for adaptive cruise control, upper screen is for headlight assist, lane assist, rain wipers, auto-lights.
ACC uses the same radar sensor as Front Assist. I happen to know this very well, because I've had numerous Front Assist errors (sensor being "blinded" by water etc.) and both Front Assist and ACC stop working when this happens.

As far as I know, there isn't any sensor on the lower bumper. :? Unless you meant the ParkPilot ultrasonic sensors?
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Tet70 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 am
ACC uses the same radar sensor as Front Assist. I happen to know this very well, because I've had numerous Front Assist errors (sensor being "blinded" by water etc.) and both Front Assist and ACC stop working when this happens.

As far as I know, there isn't any sensor on the lower bumper. :? Unless you meant the ParkPilot ultrasonic sensors?
You are quite correct, poor choice of words :oops: I was writing from the previous post. Should have said "Front bumper / SEAT badge sensor is for adaptive cruise control...".

In the UK manual - page 211, figure 185 it even highlights this with a big arrow! ;)

Ghiggz

Post by Ghiggz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Had it happen today for the first ever time.
We are in Cornwall on holiday.
Was driving down a narrow lane to a small cove, and a tight bend approached that I was aware of, but before I could brake or steer, the auto brakes slammed on, it was hard too, the ABS kicked in, the wife and kids all screamed, caught me by surprise I did my load..
Silver Ateca SE 1.6tdi

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”