Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Qashqai v Ateca

23K views 50 replies 14 participants last post by  jotojoto 
#1 ·
I sat in a Qashqai today with a panoramic roof.

A. Not the space of the Ateca with a panoramic roof, my head in the drivers seat with it fully jacked up was pretty close to the roof

B. Foot space when driving isn't so good, knees hitting the steering console

C. It didn't pass my chiller box test. Not a lot of height in the boot between the flat loading area and the parcel shelf. Kadjar fails this one as well

I know I'm biased but I did take the opportunity of testing the comfort on what could have been the market leader, the Qashqai. Moved the tense.

#27 ·
ernieb said:
@Tell, wait till early next year and your partner would probably get a great deal on a current Yeti on a 'end of roll out' deal. Higher spec, good price, more bang for your buck.
I shall moan profusely if they opted for a discontinued line, which is what I've pointed to out to them. They like the Fiat Treckker since the passenger seat folds down for lens changing. Where I am when that happens I don't know, out of it so I dont create dust (sensor spots). Both had the same car once, so perhaps it will be two Ateca's. I hear Suzuki Vitara being talked about. My same criteria would lead to a second Ateca or the smaller sister car when Seat produce it, but no good if they compromise the driving position with lower seating.

#28 ·
With regard to what potential owners think of the car, I picked up this piece from one of the Spanish forums.

Apologies if it does not read quite right occasionally, but this is the Google translation.

Sounds like a very happy bunny! I am particularly interested in his comparisons with the Leon, which I currently drive.

This Saturday I had the opportunity to have a Seat Ateca for 24 hours to prove it .
Before the summer, in the Atocha AVE train station, there was a Ateca exposed and approached. The girl told me if I wanted to try and take the data. The marketing department Seat is who was behind Saturday and let me test one at no cost. Even the fuel because full came and told me not to fill out , unless it was over.

The unit left me was a Ateca Seat TDI 150 hp, 4 drive with manual transmission, excelence finish. Here you have a picture of it: currently I have a Seat Leon FR TDI 150 hp with manual transmission so I commented on behavior, comparing the two vehicles. I read it was like driving a Leon, it was true. Accustomed to me, did not notice virtually no difference and that I tried pretty thoroughly. Rode with Ateca about 400 kilometers in both town (few km) and highway (about 80 km) and motorway (about 110) as on mountain roads (130 km) and to top 40 on unsurfaced forest tracks. I attached a photo of consumption: Alone in the mountain road and on the track, I pressed a little background. Circulé highway at the recommended speed. In conclusion: Excellent barely noticed differences with my Seat Leon. Only on the issue of output has more kick the Lion. I understand that the weight difference influences. The 4 - wheel drive is brutal. In the forest track the Ateca is super - flat and can accelerate without fear. On the mountain road in the afternoon, it started to rain and I could step on without any fear. Much better than with Leon. Cornering comes without any rocking super good, it is very flat on all surfaces. Very silecioso with a super smooth steering and a precise change. It is also a very comfortable both in the front passenger compartment with the rear car. And as you can see, a very tight consumption. One negative to note? yes. In the second mountain track it is too long. There is a gap between the 1st and 2nd. You must bring something high of turns to leave. Overall, I repeat, must be at the weight, has a greater repís the Lion. Lastly, I believe that the issue of Adblue wore only the 190 hp. This version also had Adblue. I put the photo of deposit and computer data: Accessorize, which he called me the most attention is the descent control (very useful in forest tracks) and rail. I think it's a very good help. It operates from 60 km and really takes you by rail. Perhaps narrow roads such as mountain, disable it would be better because you're noticing the movements if you step on the lines. The speed control (not adaptive) think they have improved over I do in Leon. Also available Wireless Charger (very useful, but leaves you mobile boiling) and connection to mobile applications (also very interesting). Finally, mine, as I have sent, today we begin to manufacture. I hope to have it in late September. Ateca is the 190 CV. Finally, a picture of Ateca forest track ... Thanks for putting all the roll. Any questions or requests, here I answer. Greetings Carles

#29 ·
Reading the last bit did they opt to buy the TDI190. I just knew that without doing the sums that a 150 engine if it was available in DSG form wasn't going to compare well with my Altea DSG 140. So the guy similar needs to do the same against his Leon. I've seen somebody before talk about the power to weight ratio. Obviously the other thing that low slung owners are preoccupied against is SUV body roll. I've never found it an issue with the Altea, it's just a fantasy.

Here's a calculator for PWR

http://www.autosnout.com/Calculate/calculate-bhp-per-ton.php

Using the 150 4WD spec as published by Seat

2.0 TDI 150 HP 4Drive - weight In running order with driver (Kg) 1548 = 97 BHP per metric ton
2.0 TDI 190 HP DSG 4Drive - weight In running order with driver (Kg) 1589 = 120 BHP per metric ton

24 percent increase between cars

2.0 TDI 138HP Altea DSG Sport - weight 1537 + 80.7 kgs = PWR 85

So reckon I'm getting a 41 percent increase in my BHP per metric ton. Weight I took from Parkers. Interesting that the Ateca is more light than the Altea.

Running the figures for a Leon 2.0 TDI PS X-perence manual. Weight with drivers 1491 (taken from Seat Leon spec). PWR 101

Basically if the guy was comparing the 2WD Leon as above with the 4WD Ateca he would have suffered a 4 percent reductions in the PWR but got 4WD in return. That's probably why he's excited. I'm more excited about my 40 percent increase in the ratio I'm getting :). Hopefully the insurance doesn't go up by this.

Interesting that these vehicles are so light these days.

#30 ·
You are comparing it with the Leon Xperience 4x4 which is a larger, heavier car than the Leon FR Tdi which is what he has at present. The PWR figures on the FR will be higher. It weighs about 1300kg. My petrol Leon weighs only 1230kg which is why I was concerned about the performance hit on the Ateca 150ps Tsi.

Mine has 140ps and I found that the 150ps tsi Ateca was equal in performance as it is only about 150kg heavier with the extra 10ps and the DSG makes up for any difference in performance (if any). As I said before, the 150 Tdi 4 drive I tried was very much slower than the 140ps Tsi Leon manual.

#31 ·
1358 kg with driver for the Leon FR if I've read the Seat PDF correctly puts it at 110 PWR. The manual Ateca was 97, 190 DSG was 120. He should go for the DSG, think he did.

Based on your figures a Leon weighting 1230 (with Driver?) power 140 gives 114 PWR.
Your DSG petrol Ateca weighting 1380, power 150, PWR 109.

That's a 4 percent reduction in PWR. Did I mention my two degrees in mathematics, few years ago mind you :). DSG are quick at gear changes and I remember before I got my DSG some Germans playing about with a DSG van in a park doing launch control as it zipped through the gears. I use to out do people down here but now too many have the same gear box. I know manual guys can't stir the gears that quick so they only have the HP in their favour and the PWR..... So yes I'm sure the DSG will make up for the 4 percent.

#32 ·
Thanks for working out the figures. It confirms pretty much what I was hoping for and the road test certainly proved it to be the case. From you other figures it does suggest that if you want the 4 Drive, the bigger engine is a must and you do get the DSG.

Incidenatally, in Spain you can have a 1.4tsi 4 Drive and in Germany there is even a 1.4 4 Drive with DSG - I think the extra weight with that engine could be a bit disappointing.

#33 ·
My last three cars were Nissans , two qashqais and a Juke..I'm afraid to say that all my pals and SWMBO are not keen on my new Ateca. Some of the gismo's on the Qashqai are better than what I've got now.
Just sent off an email to SEAT asking if they have found a solution to the water/ muck ingress into the back doors..Bloody poor show..

#36 ·
Septigenarian said:
The tyre pressure monitors+ The satnav+ the seating .the rear doors water ingress+ride quality.Thats all I can think of at the moment.But I will persevere and lean to adapt .just like getting a new lady, one has to allow for difference's and adjust
You have to be having a laugh on the SatNav. To be fair we don't have a Qashqai as well as the Ateca but have just sold my second GTR and waiting for delivery of my third new one. I would like to think that Nissan are fitting their best tech to their most expensive car.

The Nissan SatNav is crap, except for the voice which is better than directions from Angeka Merkel that you seem to get in the Ateca. The TPMS monitors that Nissan use aren't particularly accurate and warn you only only really well about significant depressurisation which the Ateca will do too.

If you want a soft wallowy ride then the Qashqai is for you but the appeal of the Ateca for many is the sportier firmer ride and handling. The Ateca ride is nicely balanced providing that you don't ruin it with stupid wheels.

I don't understand the water issue, it just doesn't happen with ours.

#37 ·
Sorry to say the Qashqai is to small and boring. With a family of 6' feet plus the Qashqai has crap leg room. And I bet a Qashqai won't but a smile on my face like the Ateca does. It's a fun car to drive handles well and goes like stink for a SUV

#39 ·
Fred99 said:
I am pretty sure that TPMS is standard on all new cars now.
There are two types. One uses ABS sensors to detect wheel speed difference hence tyre pressure difference. But it's not very reliable. That's already standard on most new cars.

The other is real pressure sensors within wheels that send radio signals. Those are expected to be much more precise but I've heard tire shops can screw them when changing the tires.

#40 ·
Fred99 said:
EU regulations - ALL new cars must have it since November 2014.

The cheapo (indirect - iTPMS) choice is the car uses the ABS system to monitor the rolling diameter of the wheel so any significant changes = pressure loss and the system alarms. (Quite clever idea that... but not that accurate - accurate enough though).

The other (direct - dTPMS) choice is an individual sensor inside each tyre which actively monitors pressure; the premium marques that use it will even tell you the tyre pressures.

Wikipedia article here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system

The Ateca uses iTPMS but I think the Nissan uses dTPMS... both systems have their inherent advantages and disadvantages I suppose. For me iTPMS is one less thing to go wrong (fewer parts), but each to their own; the main thing is that the system works wll enough to be able to indicate when you're running with a flat that wasn't there before you started your journey, which both do.

#41 ·
Personal opinion but the Qashqai is not very good looking. Like many Japanese cars these days (with the exception of the GTR!) I find them over designed and fussy with too much bling, particularly from the front. The Ateca is streets ahead on looks. Subtly sophisticated.

#42 ·
Etchings said:
Fred99 said:
EU regulations - ALL new cars must have it since November 2014.

The cheapo (indirect - iTPMS) choice is the car uses the ABS system to monitor the rolling diameter of the wheel so any significant changes = pressure loss and the system alarms. (Quite clever idea that... but not that accurate - accurate enough though).

The other (direct - dTPMS) choice is an individual sensor inside each tyre which actively monitors pressure; the premium marques that use it will even tell you the tyre pressures.

Wikipedia article here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system

The Ateca uses iTPMS but I think the Nissan uses dTPMS... both systems have their inherent advantages and disadvantages I suppose. For me iTPMS is one less thing to go wrong (fewer parts), but each to their own; the main thing is that the system works wll enough to be able to indicate when you're running with a flat that wasn't there before you started your journey, which both do.
The Nissan sensors don't quite monitor the pressure as I understood it they also work on a rolling circumference basis. They do give a read out of pressure per tyre which is a useful indicator but it isn't terribly accurate. I had variations of up to 3 PSI on my old car and suggestions of pressure imbalance when pressures were perfect. They're pressure sensors are only truly useful for highlighting big differences or pressure loss?

#43 ·
There was a Qashqai v Ateca review in the Evening Standard the other day. The Ateca came out on top, thankfully. Having owned a Qashqai previously, I wasn't that fussed in going back. The review also said that the Qashqai doesn't even have Andriod/Apple integration!

#44 ·
luca said:
There was a Qashqai v Ateca review in the Evening Standard the other day. The Ateca came out on top, thankfully. Having owned a Qashqai previously, I wasn't that fussed in going back. The review also said that the Qashqai doesn't even have Andriod/Apple integration!
Only the Micra has Smartphone integration currently as I understand it and only CarPlay rather than Android Auto at that.

The availability of smartphone integration in the market is a big issue at the moment. Only Greater VW and Mercedes seem to be building in Android Auto to most models. With other German cars (e.g. Porsche, BMW etc.) only offering Apple Carplay (which is rubbish as you are forced to use Apple maps which are terrible).

It has been a real issue in me finding a new car myself as I refuse to buy German in these Brexit times and few others offer it. I have ultimately ordered the new Datsun and just swallowed the lack of smartphone integration given that Android Auto can be run as a standalone feature from the phone (you just need to add a cradle).

#45 ·
AndyE14 said:
It has been a real issue in me finding a new car myself as I refuse to buy German in these Brexit times and few others offer it. I have ultimately ordered the new Datsun and just swallowed the lack of smartphone integration given that Android Auto can be run as a standalone feature from the phone (you just need to add a cradle).
I think new Honda models also offer Android Auto, at least that's what I've been told when testing the newest Civic which is built in the UK. Coincidentally, for the same Brexit reason I decided to avoid UK-built cars such as Honda and Nissan :)

#46 ·
Ok the ATECA looks good , I grant you that . But it would seem that most of you are of a younger generation than my friends and I.
We are senior septuagenarians and some are Octogenarians. Getting in and out of the xcellence passenger seat, with those side lips takes quite an effort for my oppos .I have to listen to all their expletives too.
All this talk about phones and sat nav stuff is beyond me though. So please consider us older lot with blessings and time to adjust to modern technology.I will attempt my best at understanding most of the gizmos, but it will take a month of Sundays to get ingested.
Yep we still are allowed to drive, thankfully.....Please note .. I did try the Sport thingy the other day at the lights, as I was next to a boy racer, left the twat standing. Boy did that give me a good feeling for the rest of the day..This motor is probably my last one. Mind you I said that about my last three cars too...I change every two years . Coz I can...I think the auto box is top notch though...Have a good day! Sorry to be a bore.If you like a good read try my memoirs. "Flying on the Ground" Available on amazon....Toodle pip

#48 ·
Septigenarian said:
Yep we still are allowed to drive, thankfully.....Please note .. I did try the Sport thingy the other day at the lights, as I was next to a boy racer, left the twat standing. Boy did that give me a good feeling for the rest of the day..
Actually laughed out loud at this!

G
#49 ·
Wookiee said:
AndyE14 said:
The Nissan SatNav is crap, except for the voice which is better than directions from Angela Merkel that you seem to get in the Ateca.
"Make a U-turn where passable." :D
At first, I didn't notice anything odd with the satnav voice guidance. After all, I'm a native Finn and the satnav doesn't have Finnish language, so I have to use English. But after a while, I started to notice the peculiarities in "Angela's" pronunciation. For example, she insist's that the capital of Finland is "Shell-sinki". :lol:

#50 ·
Yes, the pronunciation is amusing. If you go anywhere near Plymouth in Devon, you will get told you're heading towards Ply-mooth (Ply as in plywood!) :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.