Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Qashqai v Ateca

23K views 50 replies 14 participants last post by  jotojoto 
#1 ·
I sat in a Qashqai today with a panoramic roof.

A. Not the space of the Ateca with a panoramic roof, my head in the drivers seat with it fully jacked up was pretty close to the roof

B. Foot space when driving isn't so good, knees hitting the steering console

C. It didn't pass my chiller box test. Not a lot of height in the boot between the flat loading area and the parcel shelf. Kadjar fails this one as well

I know I'm biased but I did take the opportunity of testing the comfort on what could have been the market leader, the Qashqai. Moved the tense.

#3 ·
@Ernie I would only look at a 4x4 since that was one of must haves for when I move into the countryside. Current automatic aren't the DSG type, dual clutch, Kadjar is which is interesting that alot of the other is shared. Those small boots thou on both with little depth.

Seat are dragging their feet on hybrids with the concept perhaps that Seat is for people who love cars and those that love Seats can't afford hybrid technology, so they are holding back on them till the technology is more affordable for the core Seat market. I'm sure the average Seat driver would love electric acceleration and wouldn't be too concerned about the power behind it. When VW gets affordable mainstream technology then it will come over to Seat.

#4 ·
Maybe this is the way to launch a new car?

Premiere Atmosphere for Everyone: World Launch of ŠKODA KODIAQ Live on Internet

29.8.2016 | category: Models

› ŠKODA to introduce new SUV Model in Berlin on 1 September 2016
› World premiere livestream from 19:00 CEST

Mladá Boleslav/Berlin, 29 August 2016 - The curtain rises and the stage awaits: the new ŠKODA KODIAQ is ready for its 1 September world debut in Berlin. ŠKODA will be streaming the impressive production combining film, music and dance choreography live on the Internet from 19:00.

You can watch the 45-minute presentation of the new model via livestream. In addition, the media have the opportunity to broadcast the show on their respective channels per Youtube.

Livestream: http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/kodiaq/premiere
Embed Code:

#5 ·
What do they do about the free pens ?. ;).

I liked the Ateca launch video although you do see the dry ice man behind the car.

#6 ·
Oh yes it is where I thought it was

http://www.kraftwerkberlin.de/

It's a space that is used for TV broadcasting a German version of Jools Holland type of thing where the audience are desperately close to a massive drop as you see on the website. I'd expect lots of dry ice for the launch and I'd expect a very good sound system. I will watch. Thanks Ernie.

#8 ·
Ernie, thanks, I've tested I can get it on my tablet and PC. Last night they had a time showing before, which probably is the warm up time. I did think the light cluster looked unique compared with others.

#9 ·
I just hope that we do get to see the car as they do appear to be putting on a song and dance show. However, this is the side of the launch that us mortals never get to see and i'm sure that the 'goody' bags might be just a bit better than a free pen!
It's an interesting concept but if it's present well could catch on and would give us punters a view that is not normally available to us. Maybe we will not need to rush out and buy the latest car mag to get a few photos and a report that largely follows the manufactures hand outs.

#10 ·
Question is are they going to use that big space of the hall. They could winch one up to the top floor. Perhaps it's nibbles for the press below. Exhibition on the top floor or have a few hanging. Think they might have set themselves a challenge. Early research put it in the space of the Berlin Live location but I've lost that now.

Still here's the location if I didn't have an aberration, the space is used for a weekly pan European German music programme

Kraftwerk hall is said location on YouTube Skoda channel and TV show...

http://www.kraftwerkberlin.de/en/programme.html

Based on the Vision S prototype, with video

http://www.deswinks.com/skoda/about-us/the-new-/

But then it was snapped recently

http://m.carandbike.com/news/skoda-kodiaq-spotted-testing-ahead-of-its-official-debut-next-month-1395794

I see there are assorted pictures appearing today of it.

Where does the Yeti replacement come in all of this, is it the 5 door version ?. Or is to be released a year later. I had discounted the KODIAQ as too big for my needs. The 7 seater is a bit like the Mazda Primera when the two sets of back seats are dropped or have some up for getting big holiday bags in. Never had the flexibility of moving back seats except in hire cars.

#11 ·
The Yeti II is due early 2018 and is 5 door. The Kodiak will be in 5 and 7 seat versions. Hybrids are on the horizon but as yet no time scale. I've always liked the option to remove my Yeti rear seats, heavy, as it give a good load space. Removing one or two gives again good flexibility. This kind of design may not be on the radar when you buy but is usefull when the need arises. Skoda are also going to release a smaller size cross over similar I guess to the Seat Leon version that is being trailed. ( maybe more a marketing design than a real cross over in my view). Off topic sorry.

#12 ·
The Seat Ibiza SUV, it does have a name, except I've forgotten the name of it. Something like the Acona. The press got the Ateca name wrong at the start so they might have got this one wrong... if I remembered the name of it :).

Some enterprising sole could have a look a whether the rails for the Tiguan fit the Ateca. That was the case for the Altea and the VW Golf Plus. Someone did that in Germany and published the part numbers.

#14 ·
When you get to my age names drop off, they always did.

I'm sure you will keep us abreast on what is being said in Spain on the TDI150 front. Bit of a disaster here in the UK given that petrol DSGs aren't being sold in the UK, so effectively you are pushed to 4x4 even if you didn't want one although I did want one. It came the week before the official launch of the Ateca in the UK. Seat UK'S pruning of the product range on a we know what's best basis, is looking even more stupid now specific models have been withdrawn. These youngsters....

#15 ·
ernieb said:
Maybe this is the way to launch a new car?

Premiere Atmosphere for Everyone: World Launch of ŠKODA KODIAQ Live on Internet

29.8.2016 | category: Models

› ŠKODA to introduce new SUV Model in Berlin on 1 September 2016
› World premiere livestream from 19:00 CEST

Mladá Boleslav/Berlin, 29 August 2016 - The curtain rises and the stage awaits: the new ŠKODA KODIAQ is ready for its 1 September world debut in Berlin. ŠKODA will be streaming the impressive production combining film, music and dance choreography live on the Internet from 19:00.

You can watch the 45-minute presentation of the new model via livestream. In addition, the media have the opportunity to broadcast the show on their respective channels per Youtube.

Livestream: http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/kodiaq/premiere
Embed Code:
I see all the Ateca colours in the launch :). That Rhodium Grey with hints of blue and green. That blue.... I'm still waiting for the guest appearance of the bear. Similar to the Ateca, KODIAQ is built on the Superb whilst the Ateca was on the Leon in marketing feel good terms.

Ernie you got to wait till March.

#17 ·
I reckon those links to the YouTube channel still work and they will have their own channel as they said. There will be a larger Seat SUV which will replace one presumes the ALHAMBRA.

The design cues between Seat and Skoda are getting closer. Their designer may talk about Czech cut glass but those teutonic lines are in Seat and Skoda now.

Think VW are covering their bases by launching different sized SUVs between their subsidiaries, possibly, may be why the Yeti replacement got pushed back since it clashed with the Seat and they were playing catch up.

#18 ·
@Tell, agreed. Skoda Kodiaq today Seat ??? tomorrow, Seat Ateca today Skoda Yeti II tomorrow etc. etc. Each brand has it fans and appeals to a group or groups of buyers meaning all the bases get covered. Just hope that Brexit does not mean a price rise at some point down the line UK cars are already at a premium.

#19 ·
Personally I like that Kodiak. Don't need the extra size but it is stylish. I think if the Yeti II does take some styling cues from that it would be a good thing, making it a tad less boxy. Could be argued part of the Yetis charm is it's very obvious 4x4 looks though.

#20 ·
I think the way the designs are going is reflected by VWs chief designer Walter de Silva, under his watchful eye Seat and Skoda are getting some flare, and it all started when he did the Altea coming from Alfa Romeo. Strangely the VWs own designs are more restrained, probably they are supposed to appeal to the core middle of the road type of people and Seat mopped up the youth side. Now Skoda is off the reigns as well to produce better looking vehicles.

#21 ·
I spoke to someone today who had seen the Kodiaq and Yeti II side by side in the factory. Of course the Yeti II (2018) may change but essentially the cars are very similar only the size changes externally. Obviously a lot can change in the next year so we'll see. I'm happy with my new Yeti L&K with a bucket load of options so will wait and see how the Yeti II looks against the Ateca and make a choice then. This suits us right now. Maybe an option for a decent hybrid may emerge although VW are well behind the curve on that one. Skoda are saying that they have invested heavily in deciding the best hybrid option and the next couple of years they should see the cars to market, once again we'll see what happens.
We still really like the Ateca and when the dust settles will take up the already offered option of a test drive.

#22 ·
I will be intrigued to hear how you think the Ateca handles against the Yeti. Think I might be going to witness the partner buy another car. I've said wait for the Yeti II but 2018 their current car might fall apart by then. I veto anything low. Could both have the same car, but thinking something with a bit of side protection for narrow lanes and car supermarkets. There is always the Seat small SUV next year or was it, the next year. Fiat Trekker is a possibility. That might get my back. The message was, let's get your Ateca sorted first. I make suggestions, they get rejected. They do like the current Yeti, no good that is being replaced.

I wouldn't mind a hybrid if it manages 4x4.

#23 ·
@Tell, wait till early next year and your partner would probably get a great deal on a current Yeti on a 'end of roll out' deal. Higher spec, good price, more bang for your buck.
Yep, I know the limitations within my current car and it would be really great to test run the Ateca, I want to wait till I can arrange a more than once round the block drive through. The Mazda CX 5 was terrible, in my view, and both my wife and I were totally surprised at how uncomfortable and poor the ride was.
Ill be interested in watching to see how others react to a test drive, no long to wait now guys!

#24 ·
I have tested a 150Tdi 4 drive and a 150Tsi DSG as they have been available here in Spain since the beginning of July. I have a 140 Tsi Leon at present and was wanting to compare the Ateca to the Leon, as I think the handling is superb. I was not disappointed. The Tdi was a bit down on performance due to the extra weight, but the handling was 90% as good as the Leon round the really twisty roads. My only criticism was the road noise which in my opinion was excessive on the 19" wheels. I did manage to pick up a speeding ticket in the process so I was not hanging around!

A month later I tried the 150tsi DSG. Much livelier than the Tdi and slightly better handling. Neither have any appreciable body roll. This time, on 18" wheels, it was very quiet indeed. Just a small amount of wind noise. Quieter than the Leon at the same speeds. The DSG was amazing, but sadly that is not a UK option. They were both Xcellence models. Seats were very supportive and loads of room in the back compared to the Leon. Trim and finish the same as the Leon, but that is pretty good.

I could not fault anything about the car. Hopefully mine will arrive before the end of the year.

#25 ·
Thanks for that, I agree 100% with your comments and wish SEAT had decided to bring the 1.4TSI DSG to the UK. Thankfully the 2WD 150 TDI is faster than the 4WD, 170 kg or so less to drag around makes a difference.
Hope the 1.4TSI DSG deliveries aren't affected by the supply problems with the 2WD DSG differential housing, my 2WD TDI DSG order appears to be on hold which is a little worrying :shock:

#26 ·
I did wonder what was happening to the 150 TDI orders. I though those taken would run through. In 4WD I think the Ateca is probably under powered in 150 form which is fine, they don't offer it in the UK, so I'm having the 190. Having a 140 for nearly 12 years the increment wasn't big enough for me knowing I was trading up from 2WD to 4WD. Wanted 4WD for harsh winters in the sticks. (I think I've got my units of energy right). When I was looking at the Tiguan R Line specified the 190 engine where 150 is available, but then read adverse reports of the ride on 20" inch. Reassessed the looks verses electronic dash display, practicality and came back to the Ateca 4WD 190, with 1" less on the wheels.

Thanks Freddie for your driving report. Didn't thank you last time. I am having 19" wheels, I'm use to the firm ride of my current Altea on 17" so I'm hoping it won't be any worse. German roads are a dream to drive on since they are so smooth. UK trails behind them, possibly Spain behind. I'd say Belgium below the UK. Posy pretty wheels need well manicured surfaces and an ability to steer / pick around pot holes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.