Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Autho Hold and DSG question?

13K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  Fred99 
#1 ·
I haven't driven automatics so probably I have the wrong assumption but here's my question. I assume with an automatic you release the brakes slowly and that's what corresponds to slipping the clutch, i.e. the car will start creeping a little which will help in moving the car in very small steps. However it seems the Auto Hold function won't allow it because whenever you stop, Auto Hold will engage and then even if you release the brakes, the car won't move so you won't have clutch slipping but will have to press the throttle and that means fully engaged clutch and probably harsh take-off? Or am I wrong? Do you disengage Auto Hold when maneuvering in very small steps?

Furthermore, on my manual, when doing this little maneuvering, I use the clutch pedal for slipping hence start/stop won't stop the engine. However on an automatic the start/stop will stop the engine each time the car is fully stop, i.e. between each small step?

I guess I am wrong but before I get my Ateca which seems to be in many months, I can only theorize about how I will use the DSG which will be an entirely new concept to me :D

#27 ·
To answer your question about when Auto Hold is on - the dash light for the parking light comes on, but is green. The normal, manually operated, parking brake has red indicator light when it's active.

#28 ·
OK, so I am probably repeating myself, yourself and others who confirmed they are (will be) keeping it off unless needed, but I think Auto Hold is not very well thought feature.

I am new to DSG so I have started to replay various scenarios in my head about how I will drive it and I am really bothered by I won't be able to use clutch slip (how do you call that in English?) by gradually releasing the brakes if I keep Auto Hold. Imagine I need to move in tight spaces slowly. If Auto Hold is on, I'll release the brakes, the car won't move, then I press lightly the throttle to disengage it but then the car starts creeping and I have to quickly move my foot back to the brake pedal to limit the speed. The moment car is not moving (e.g. when checking my maneuvers) it all starts over. This seems very stupid and that is why some people turn off Auto Hold. But then, if you will be switching it off and on, why not use the parking break instead. Why bother using the Auto Hold if you will remove the "auto" part of it which makes it just another parking brake button.

This all seems very annoying but I'll have to see myself when I get my car, maybe I am missing anything?

#29 ·
It's pretty pointless discussing all the options until you can actually try it and make up your own mind how you use (or not use) it.

As I said in a previous post, if you are trying a tight maneuver such as parking, the last thing you want is AH engaged. If you use Park Assist, it makes the whole thing virtually automatic as all you have to do is vary the pressure on the brake.

#30 ·
Yep, I agree I better see it in flesh and decide but my expectations so far seem to match how you use it.

If Auto Hold is off, do you still have Hill Hold Control? I mean the one that keeps brakes for two seconds when uphill.

G
#31 ·
CyberGene said:
If Auto Hold is off, do you still have Hill Hold Control? I mean the one that keeps brakes for two seconds when uphill.
No. And that's the most annoying thing about Auto Hold. I would never ever need Auto Hold, if it still had Hill Hold. Since they've taken that function away, I sometimes need to engage AH when I park on a steep hill.

#32 ·
Tet70 said:
CyberGene said:
No. And that's the most annoying thing about Auto Hold. I would never ever need Auto Hold, if it still had Hill Hold. Since they've taken that function away, I sometimes need to engage AH when I park on a steep hill.
Cr*p! I love Hill Hold on my Leon :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.