Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Cooling Fan

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Chop 
#1 ·
Mr Newbie here again with another query...... Just parked up and noticed that the cooling fan was still running after I turned off the ignition. Turned on again to allow me to check the coolant temperature and it was perfectly normal at 90 celsius. The fan continued to run for another few minutes before it switched itself off. First time I've noticed this (maybe because of the time of day and all else is quiet) but is it normal for the 2 litre diesel?

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice but not allowed on my nice clean driveway ! Have actually found the answer elsewhere and apparently it's quite normal - some makes of car are designed to do it to cool the engine down more quickly once you've switched off and some aren't so big sigh of relief from me.

#4 ·
Hi. I was wondering the same and it's getting cold here in Finland :) Went to the shop and they explained it is normal (it has also something to do with the cleaning process of DPF, they claimed).

#5 ·
Can't quite see the connection between the cooling fan and the dpf. Quite often the car would require the engine to keep running while the dpf goes through its scheduled re-gen but not the fan alone.

#6 ·
I don't know about the link to the DPF, I'm not a mechanic, but I'm just glad the fan is meant to work that way - I had visions of it spinning away all night until it flattened the battery !

Thanks all for your input.

#7 ·
Can't speak directly for the Ateca as I don't have mine yet but I know from my Mazda 3 diesel that the connection with the cooling fan is that when the cars DPF is doing its thing it's increasing exhaust temperatures (600 degrees or so) to burn off the soot particles. This process takes about 10 minutes and if your journey ended either mid cycle or not long after it's finished the fan can remain on for 5 minutes after switching engine off.

#8 ·
That makes sense. Even if the dpf cycle is interrupted, the car still has to cool itself done from a temperature above normal. I would guess that thousands of diesels are turned off mid cycle everyday and the owner has no idea it's happening.

#9 ·
Just come looking for a thread like this... I've just noticed for the first time on my Ateca that the fan is making a racket after I've parked up and turned off the engine. Glad it seems like it's normal, and possibly linked to the DPF cycle. :)

#10 ·
Judging from my previous experience with my 2.0 TDI Yeti, it is a bad thing to switch off the engine during its active DPF cycle. During this active cycle diesel is injected into the exhaust manifold and ignited such that high temperatures are achieved which consequently burn off soot buildup in the DPF. If you turn off the engine before the cycle is complete the fan continues to operate to bring temperatures down and unignited diesel in the exhaust manifold collected from the injection process runs into the sump thus contaminating and diluting the oil. Have you noticed your oil level rise? This regularly happened on my Yeti and it was the main reason why I bought petrol next time round.

Regards to all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.