Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Towbar Question...

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  pch 
#1 ·
Can anyone who has a factory-fitted towbar tell me which bits of kit it automatically switches off and does the car then default to those things being switched off even if no trailer is attached? We're having a bit of a fight getting BSM to stay on each time we get in the car and want to know if it's just a characteristic of having a towbar fitted or if something isn't quite right.

#4 ·
Aye, blind-spot monitoring. According to the manual, there are a few bits and pieces that should automatically turn off when you have a towbar, but it doesn't really make clear if they are permanently off or if they just go off when a trailer is connected and come back on again when disconnected.

G
#5 ·
Wookiee said:
Aye, blind-spot monitoring. According to the manual, there are a few bits and pieces that should automatically turn off when you have a towbar, but it doesn't really make clear if they are permanently off or if they just go off when a trailer is connected and come back on again when disconnected.
I'm pretty sure, that they turn things off (or on) only when the trailer is detected on the towbar socket, and turn them back when it's disconnected. For example, the anti-sway program on the ESP controller is only activated when the trailer is connected. Why would they disable something for good, only because you have a towbar?

#6 ·
Tet70 said:
Wookiee said:
I'm pretty sure, that they turn things off (or on) only when the trailer is detected on the towbar socket, and turn them back when it's disconnected. For example, the anti-sway program on the ESP controller is only activated when the trailer is connected. Why would they disable something for good, only because you have a towbar?
Why indeed! I only asked because that seems to be what has happened to my wife's car. Although, having resisted multiple attempts to turn everything back on permanently, it does now seem to have taken the hint. Will just have to wait and see what happens the next time we hitch a trailer on.

#7 ·
They are disabled automatically when towing and, unfortunately, do not get re-enabled when not towing...

#8 ·
wiz2003 said:
They are disabled automatically when towing and, unfortunately, do not get re-enabled when not towing...
Cool, thanks. Once you've re-enabled them manually, do they then stay on until you next attach a trailer or do you have to manually re-enable them each time you use the car?

G
#10 ·
What exactly are those features that get disabled? Blind Spot Monitoring, what else? Apparently, I don't have any of those. I guess I would have noticed something turning off, since I have towed a trailer few times.

#11 ·
Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Traffic Alert which is effectively the same set of sensors.
Former works during driving at some speed and indicates in mirror while latter during reversing and indicates on camera view screen and beepers.

You can see enabled/disabled assistance options when you change small display to Assistance and scroll up/down right control wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.