Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Premium diesel?

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Niggly 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 150HP 4x4 Ateca and wanted to know if anyone on here and compered the premium diesel like v-power against the supermarket or normal branded stuff?

I have looked online and its seems some people get a few more miles out of the tank and also sees to run a bit smoother but wanted to know if anyone had tried on the Ateca?

Thanks

#2 ·
My other car's a diesel and over the last year I've only filled 40 litres of standard diesel. The rest has been Costco's Premium diesel which was 113.9 ppl the other day. Can't tell you what it would do for an Ateca, but if mine were diesel I'd use it or use the Millers additive to normal diesel which adds about 2ppl to pump price.

I'm sure someone will reply about adding 2-stroke oil etc., but the VAG "no additives" policy is there to deter anything spurious. I wouldn't put Millers in the same category.

#3 ·
I used to think the whole concept of premium diesel was bollocks but nonetheless filled it up with Costco premium mostly because it is much cheaper.

The weekend before last I couldn't be arsed going to Costco and went to Tesco instead. The Ateca ran like a dog all week, cue the weekend and back to Costco and a full tank and all is well again. I can't explain why this is but premium diesel definitely seems worthwhile.

#4 ·
What does it say on the inside of the fuel cap flap for diesels? The 1.4 petrol flap states a Minimum of 95 RON but also states Super Unleaded. That, to me, suggests the engine prefers Super.

#7 ·
I have always used shell vpower diesel because I do a lot of short runs - nearly a year old now and all ok..

#9 ·
Read in The Telegraph recently that Honest John reckons super/premium diesel reduces the chance of the DPF contaminating the oil. Don't know wether this was specific to one car model or just that the DPF collects less soot as the burn is more effiecient, but it all adds to the argument to use it - if the price is economic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.