Keyless Entry

All Seat Ateca related discussions
AlasdairMac

Re: Keyless Entry

Post by AlasdairMac » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:22 pm

I bought the same pouch from Amazon as Max. Works perfectly. I also tend to carry it with me and move the key from the outer unprotected pouch to the inner protected one when I leave the car. Peace of mind for a fiver can’t be bad.
Ateca 2.0 TDi 190 Xcellence DSG 4Drive Sunroof, Black.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Max Jaffa wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:11 pm
So I just pop the key in that when I go to bed at night. One less thing to worry about...
'
I thought the deal was one thief stands next to the key with an amplifier whilst the other thief opens the car?

That means a thief would have to break in to your house whilst your sleeping and stand next to the keys. On the contrary, it's one more thing to worry about!

Sweet dreams. :lol:

Gav m

Post by Gav m » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:05 am

CCTV Video released by West Midlands Police of thieves stealing Mercedes using a relay device to enhance the signal from your key inside the house to another box which the other thief has next to the car, allowing them to unlock the car, start it and drive it away.

Better be careful where we leave our keys or secure them somewhere in something that doesn't allow the signal through.
Or fit a further security device around the steering wheel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-42132689.

:o

PJM

Post by PJM » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:55 am

Link didnt work for me so try this one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-4213280 ... -on-camera
Xcellence 2.0 tdi 4drive, 19" performance alloys, Black Magic, wiggly foot, top cam, park assist, ceramic coat.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:27 am

Gav m wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:05 am
Or fit a further security device around the steering wheel.
As if that works! A steering wheel clamp just means the thief makes a bigger mess when stealing your car. Do they still sell these things?

Remember years ago when car radios were all std DIN size, thieves would break in to your car and steal them to order. Then the manufacturers came up with the bright idea of integrating them in to the dash. Unfortunately what happened was rather than simply remove the DIN device, they then cut the dashboard to remove the unit. Now not only did the insurer have to pay for a replacement stereo unit, they also had to pay for fitting a whole new dash!

I know this might be difficult to understand for folks but If someone is determined to steal your car then sometimes the best solution is to let the steal it. If you have a nice car and it doesn't have keyless entry, just think the thief might just break in to your house, clobber you over the head and take the keys. They might even leave you for dead if you're particularly unlucky.

I have car insurance to combat any 'keyless' issues. One less thing to worry about. :D

STOP PRESS: Just heard this subject being talked about on 5Live. Brummy police officer says you should fit a tracker device. How does that prevent a car from being stolen? The implcation being when you finally discover your car is missing, you call up the tracker service, they alert the police and the whole of West Midland Police drop what they're currently doing (knowing them that'll be altering witness statements and preverting the course of justice ;) ) and descend upon the location of your car to catch the culprits. I must admit it's a great theory, dreamt up by someone who's living in cloud cuckoo land. Unfortunatley our world doesn't work like that.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:53 pm

As we speak another one has gone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-4213280 ... -on-camera

Locking steering wheel cover suggested. I suppose one benefit of these things is that it means the thieves will need to take longer than they thought getting the car away. That's always a big handicap and disincentive for them even though they might well get the thing off eventually. May put off the more amateur thief.

I feel fairly safe in the knowledge that my 'prestigious' Seat is tucked away behind a gate and up a vary narrow drive. If a thief ever did get in, it would take an 8 point turn before he could get the thing out of the drive and that presumes he doesn't tie himself in knots. It's my drive and it takes me 4 to 6 turns depending on where the misses leaves her car :roll:
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

luca

Post by luca » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:12 pm

I've just bought a metal tin of Smints to see if (1) the kessy key fits inside and (2) it acts as a Faraday cage to stop the signal :lol: . If it doesn't work, I still have a tin of Smints, so reckon I'm a winner anyway! ;)
1.4 TSI DSG Xcellence Rodium Grey Park Assist Top View Camera Advanded Comfort and Driving Pack Plus Electric Tailgate Heated Windscreen Electrically Adjustable Seat - ordered wk 20 (15 May 2017), confirmed build wk 39, delivered wk 43 (27 October 2017)

Cristi

Post by Cristi » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:52 am

In my pov, the issue could be solved easily at oem. If the car is locked by pressing the key on the remote(conventional way) then the car should not accept unlocking or starting any other way except unlock by same process, not keyless. Also the key could stop sending anything if it was used in the conventional way to lock the car.

AlasdairMac

Post by AlasdairMac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Something that occurred to me after I started to use the faraday pouch to keep my key in - what about the spare key? That was in a drawer in my study desk right next to the outer wall of the house and less than a couple of feet from a would-be-thief standing in the driveway with a scanner. That is now in a small plastic bag wrapped in several layers of kitchen foil, which I have tested for adequate shielding right up against the car.

(PS remember that you must shield any metal parts of the key from the faraday cage itself, so seal it in plastic or something non-conductive before placing it in the tin or whatever else you are using as a faraday cage)
Ateca 2.0 TDi 190 Xcellence DSG 4Drive Sunroof, Black.

AutumnKnight

Post by AutumnKnight » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:43 pm

As a cheap alternative, line a small Tupperware with tin foil (including the lid) and put keys (including spares) in there.
Intending to buy...
Ateca 1.4 TSI Xcellence; colour + add-ons TBD

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”