Bye bye Ateca

All Seat Ateca related discussions
David_S

Bye bye Ateca

Post by David_S » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:18 pm

After just over 9 months of ownership I will be saying goodbye to my Ateca on Saturday. Personal circumstances mean I need to be spending less on travel than what I am currently.

Will I miss my Ateca? In all honesty no I don't think I will. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car but it's a hard car to fall in love with. It's just too clinical. Too serious. Too German.

What will I miss the most? The handling. It seems crazy that the most fun thing about the Ateca, a decent sized SUV, is it's driving dynamics. But I really enjoyed driving this car on windy country lanes, it changes direction beautifully and really belies it's size and weight.

What will I miss the least? The dangerous emergency city braking. I've lost count of the times the car has braked on its own accord near a hedge with a few over hanging twigs. VW really need to fine tune this system.

Would I buy the Ateca again? No I don't think I would, not in its current form. If Seat actually put some of their flair in to the design (namely the interior) I may reconsider.

On a side note, I've just got a cracking part ex price for my car. This is the reason I've got rid of it now - the Ateca (especially the 1.4 TSI) is really holding it's value and I think if I waited until next year I'd be losing more money than I could swallow.
Enjoying since 18/01/2017:

Ateca Xcellence 1.4 Tsi, Cheapskate Blue, Seat Sound, Heated Windscreen, 19" alloys, anything else is just showing off and probably won't work anyway. :D 8-)

CyberGene

Re: Bye bye Ateca

Post by CyberGene » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:02 pm

This is sad. Out of curiosity, have you decided what your next car will be?
On order (Oct 2): SEAT Ateca XCellence 4DRIVE 1.4 TSI DSG (Samoa Orange, 18" Machined, Sunroof, SEAT Sound, BSD + RCTA, ACC, Top View, Park Assist, Full Link)
Currently: SEAT Leon mk3 SC FR 1.8 TSI manual

David_S

Post by David_S » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:51 pm

Yes, though my choice is more cost related than choice. I've gone for a Peugeot 308 Allure BlueHDI 120. It's going to cost me nearly £200 per month less than my Ateca and I'll own what's left of it's value at the end of it. Add in its free to tax and the supposed 88mpg (more like 55-60 from what I read) and it's win win all round. I test rode it not expecting anything and I was pleasantly surprised, the interior is very nice, the boot is nearly as big as the Ateca's and the engine was very very punchy, loads of mid range shove. Decent spec as well - Sat Nav, LED lights, DAB, reverse camera etc.

On a side note again, if you are ever in or near Peugeot dealership go and have a look see if they have a 3008 GT in. All I can say is WOW to the interior, absolutely fabulous (lower models aren't so impressive)

Ateca Xcellence 1.4 Tsi, Cheapskate Blue, Seat Sound, Heated Windscreen, 19" alloys, anything else is just showing off and probably won't work anyway. :D 8-)

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:01 am

Yes, that's what the said in the comparative reviews a while back. Ateca still a better drive - if you like firm handling - but interior of the 3008 GT streets ahead; but it also had a corresponding price tag. As with all things in life you need to make a choice and accept a compromise - unless you go fully custom on everything whereby you're compromising on the cost of it!

Is that 308 a 2nd hand / pre-reg car then? Free tax for < 100g/KM CO2 ended back on April 1st. Or is the tax included in cost until you hit the contract end date?

Shame you had to lose the Ateca, but everyone's circumstances and needs are very different!
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

David_S

Post by David_S » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:27 am

Used car mate, 15 reg, certainly wouldn't get a new one for £200 less a month than the Ateca!

And yes I will definitely miss the handling of the Ateca, it really is a fun car to drive. I'm quite looking forward to going back to a diesel though, although it felt less urgent that the 1.4 TSI the 1.6 BlueHDI had oodles more mid range thump and made the 1.4 TSI feel pretty gutless. Sums up Diesel v petrol I guess.

ArnP

Post by ArnP » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:31 am

I'd ditch mines in a heartbeat if I could. Back to BMW I think.

Its not a terrible car by any means, and it handles extremely well. Its overall fit and finish is substandard though (even Excellence/FR).

Just my opinion though!!!

AndyE14

Post by AndyE14 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:03 am

ArnP wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:31 am

Its not a terrible car by any means, and it handles extremely well. Its overall fit and finish is substandard though (even Excellence/FR).

How much more would a similarly equipped X3 cost to a well specced Xcellence 4WD DSG?

Our Ateca is the wife's car but I love it and think it is excellent value for the money. I think Audi does better interiors (even than BMW) but at a substantially higher price point. Rather have a decent spec list personally than spend more on a poverty spec car with better quality finish.
2.0L 190 PS 4WD DSG, Rodium grey, heated windscreen, panoramic sunroof, xcellence pack, advanced driving & comfort pack plus 2, navigation system plus pack, electric drivers seat, boot divider net.

Biscuitwull

Post by Biscuitwull » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:56 pm

For different reasons I'm having to say goodbye to mine too after 6 months. Also a 1.4TSI Excellence. I'm pleased you got a great part ex price because I was appalled at what I was offered so will have to sell Privately.
True what you said about the handling , it's terrific for an SUV !
On Order SEAT Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI Manual Samoa Orange. Xcellence Pack, Driving Assistance Pack 2, Heated Windscreen, Double Boot, Adaptive Cruise Control, Roof Bars, Bike Holder & various body mouldings to pimp it up a bit more !

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:13 pm

AndyE14 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:03 am
ArnP wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:31 am

How much more would a similarly equipped X3 cost to a well specced Xcellence 4WD DSG?

Our Ateca is the wife's car but I love it and think it is excellent value for the money. I think Audi does better interiors (even than BMW) but at a substantially higher price point. Rather have a decent spec list personally than spend more on a poverty spec car with better quality finish.
'
Fit and finish substandard? :oops: I couldn't agree more with AndyE14, there are other cars where the fit and finish are better (prize to anyone who can name one that's cheaper than the Ateca), and there are many cars where fit and finish is worse (some cars cost less and some more, MUCH more than the Ateca), but to describe the Ateca's fit and finish as 'substandard' ???? Bollocks.

SEAT is VW group's 'extra value' brand - it's what Aldi is to Waitrose, what EasyJet is to Virgin Atlantic, what the Chuckle Brothers are to the Two Ronnies.... I'm so intrigued to find out what part of the Ateca's Fit and Finish is 'substandard' ?

David_S

Post by David_S » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:31 pm

I'd never say the quality of the Ateca is substandard, I just wish it looked (mainly the interior) less like other VW cars and was more unique.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”