Is this smell the car breaking in or a sign of a problem?

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Mozza83

Is this smell the car breaking in or a sign of a problem?

Post by Mozza83 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:40 am

Hi all,

Picked up my Ateca 30/10/17, so far it has been fantastic, smooth drive etc. Have managed to resist any temptation to floor it with it being so new yet each time I get out the car there a smell which I can only describe as a burning smell. Inside the car no odours, coolant levels seem normal and can see no leaks of any kind either within engine bay or on the floor of the driveway.

I originally suspected it was the clutch as I was doing many short style trips to begin with. Now I’m back at work, steady trips down the m1 at 70mph I still get this smell when I arrive at work (20 mins later). Now I’m wondering if it’s just the new engine bedding in.

Car currently done 270 miles so my question is...has anybody else experienced these burning smells when getting out of the car. Is it normal?
Ordered 03/06/17 - 1.4 Ecotsi SE-Tech Nevada white with conv pack + dark tinted windows. Unconfirmed build week 40, 41, 43, 41 and now built as of 11/10/17- awaiting delivery.

Tim The Pines

Re: Is this smell the car breaking in or a sign of a problem?

Post by Tim The Pines » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:17 am

Hi,

Take it back to your dealer and report the problem. Two or three others on here with the same.
Make sure you get written proof from the dealer that you have reported the fault.
Seat have tried charging £2500 for clutch and flywheel to one forum member and denying any fault and blaming him.

Tim
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Mato Brown, Park Assist, Double Floor

tmehanna

Post by tmehanna » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:51 pm

I actually smelled something burning inside the car (which is a DSG) on my way home after taking delivery and attributed it to whatever dressing they use in the engine bay to prep the car for delivery. Haven't smelled it since though. On the other hand, I still hear something that sounds like a fan with bad bearing after switching off the engine. I hope that will go away eventually. My kitchen oven had the same when new.

Tim The Pines

Post by Tim The Pines » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Mozza83,

Read this
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1916
Ateca Xcellence 1.4 TSI, Mato Brown, Park Assist, Double Floor

DSG4WD

Post by DSG4WD » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:38 pm

tmehanna wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:51 pm
I actually smelled something burning inside the car (which is a DSG) on my way home after taking delivery and attributed it to whatever dressing they use in the engine bay to prep the car for delivery. Haven't smelled it since though. On the other hand, I still hear something that sounds like a fan with bad bearing after switching off the engine. I hope that will go away eventually. My kitchen oven had the same when new.
Is it a diesel? It could just be DPF regen.
On order - Lava blue Excellence DSG 4WD with heated windscreen, park assist, spare wheel, top view camera, adaptive cruise control and boot organiser nets.

tmehanna

Post by tmehanna » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:11 pm

DSG4WD wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:38 pm
tmehanna wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:51 pm
Is it a diesel? It could just be DPF regen.
Nope. 1.4

Mozza83

Post by Mozza83 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:31 am

Yeah 1.4, car booked in Wednesday..will see what they say. Last thing I need is a massive bill on a new car. Thx for the link Tim.
Ordered 03/06/17 - 1.4 Ecotsi SE-Tech Nevada white with conv pack + dark tinted windows. Unconfirmed build week 40, 41, 43, 41 and now built as of 11/10/17- awaiting delivery.

Etchings

Post by Etchings » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:08 pm

Best situation is if it's reproduceable, which you say it is, then it's a lot easier to track down the fault. If they find something, then great, but if they say 'that's normal' then get a written report of the investigation as Tim says in case it turns out not to be. Had to do something similar with my wife's VW in the past and the paper trail really does help if there's future problems / arguments (not saying there will be).

Some dealers are absolutely fantastic, others have been a little lacklustre - hopefully you have a good one! :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Now driving: Ateca XCellence 1.4 TSi in Rodium Grey with XCellence + Advanced Driving Assistance Packs, Double Boot Floor + Space Saver Spare - Ordered week 9, confirmed built week 26&27&28, arrived in UK week 30 - Collected 1st Sept 8-)

David Gatenby

Post by David Gatenby » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Please beware. I have Seat Ateca which also had a burning clutch smell and smoke which occurred after three months and less than 3000 miles. I took the car back to the dealer and was assured there was nothing to worry about. The clutch failed completely at 5400 miles and the car had to be towed to the dealer. It is 10 months old. I had to pay £1600 to get the car released back to me. The dealer and Seat UK say the clutch is only covered by the 3 year warranty for 6 months or 5000 miles. I am currently taking action through the small claims court and the dealer has stated they will defend the action.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:45 pm

David Gatenby wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 pm
Please beware. I have Seat Ateca which also had a burning clutch smell and smoke which occurred after three months and less than 3000 miles. I took the car back to the dealer and was assured there was nothing to worry about. The clutch failed completely at 5400 miles and the car had to be towed to the dealer. It is 10 months old. I had to pay £1600 to get the car released back to me. The dealer and Seat UK say the clutch is only covered by the 3 year warranty for 6 months or 5000 miles. I am currently taking action through the small claims court and the dealer has stated they will defend the action.
'
The 'deny everything' line is std practice David. Do you know if the court has sent the claim to the dealership yet? I think they have 14days after receipt to say if they'll challange or settle.

Even if they say they'll challange, I'd still bet they'll back off last minute (in the hope you'll back off first). If they've contacted a solicitor, I'm 99% sure they'll have been advised to settle.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”