1.4 EcoTSI Manual Gearbox

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Polo

Re: 1.4 EcoTSI Manual Gearbox

Post by Polo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Etchings wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:36 pm
For me, cost (£1,300 extra for something I'm wasn't fussed about) and potential headache and cost for repairs if it ever went wrong. Basically, I wasn't fussed so spent that money on other things.

In retrospect would I consider a DSG? Maybe - you get a few extras on the driver assist packs which are pretty nifty. Also the few times I've been stuck in endless traffic (you know, shuffle half a car length at a time style, not the slow moving/stationary), my clutch foot would have thanked me a little more.

On the negative side, my garage is TINY. Manoevering in is a pain and I have to fold mirrors in to get through the entrance (1.5cm too wide!). It's wide enough to accommodate the car once inside and be able to get out though, but I have only got a 10cm window for positioning right if I do want to get out. My point? It needs a fine bit of control to correctly position and not hit walls etc. and I'm unsure whether I would get the precision that I feel I need with a DSG. Note I said unsure and feel - in my area I don't have a nice long drive or dedicated parking space to take the gamble. Others may completely disagree and that is their prerogative as it is my highly subjective opinion. So that is definitely a consideration for me in the future - if when I come to change my lovely Ateca in several years I will probably consider a DSG should budgets allow but I would certainly test drive it with that consideration in mind. It probably will just boil down to technique and as Fred mentions consistently about liking the creep of an auto, probably just a matter of getting used to the DSG and knowing when / how to release the auto-hold. As always at present I just wasn't fussed about it this time round.
Thanks Etchings!

Yes others may disagree but for me what you said all makes sense, particularly the fine control when trying to manoeuvre tight spaces. So for similar reasons to yourself that's why I would go for a manual.

At one point I was considering DSG, only because of stop start traffic and the amount of times the clutch is up and down but other than that I'm happy to stay driving a manual.
Ordered: Ateca FR 1.4
| Rhodium Grey | 19" wheels | SEAT Sound | Spare wheel | Top view camera | Park assist | Heated screen | Advanced driving assistance pack |

Max Jaffa

Post by Max Jaffa » Fri May 04, 2018 12:47 pm

I have a 1.4TSi with a manual gearbox.
It's superb - ratios are excellent. Smooth and very light - fingertip stuff.
Part of the whole "fun to drive" thing which is very important to me. I'm stuck in it long enough, so I need all the enjoyment I can get LOL
1.4 TSI Xcellence, Bila white, 18" performance alloys

Polo

Post by Polo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:22 pm

I love my Troc too, but am also struggling with kangaroo take offs.....my previous car had a long, flexible 1st gear whereas the Troc seems short and tight by comparison. As mentioned above I understand I need to perfect the timing of clutch and accelerator, it just seems a little unforgiving in the meantime.
Above is a post from a thread on a Volkswagen T-Roc forum about the 1.5 TSI EVO engine 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=266

The thread is about a problem some owners are experiencing with the 1.5 engine. While reading I noticed the comment (I quoted above) mention the 1st gear being short. I remember a few people on here have mentioned the 1.4 Ateca 1st gear is also short so I am now wondering has anyone experienced this "kangaroo" take off with their Ateca 1.4 manual?
Ordered: Ateca FR 1.4
| Rhodium Grey | 19" wheels | SEAT Sound | Spare wheel | Top view camera | Park assist | Heated screen | Advanced driving assistance pack |

Max Jaffa

Post by Max Jaffa » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Love the gearbox - light and smooth. Prefer a bit more between 5th and 6th though: there's not much difference and fuel economy at around 70mph might be better as a result?
I often shift from 4th straight to 6th.
Just a thought...
1.4 TSI Xcellence, Bila white, 18" performance alloys

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”