4x4 Snow performance - your views

All Seat Ateca related discussions
mattlittle

4x4 Snow performance - your views

Post by mattlittle » Fri May 11, 2018 11:04 am

I understand that this question is a little subjective but I would appreciate your help.

This year, as I have a short lease on a car, I didn't bother putting snow tyres on my 2wd Yeti. Of course, this year we got a *lot* of snow in Edinburgh.

Commuting, even on 'gritted' roads was a pain and, although my drive only has the tiniest of inclines, I couldn't even get onto the drive.

So, my next car which will prob be an Ateca will be the 4x4 version and whilst I appreciate that on summer tyres it will never make it up steep, snow-covered mountains, I would like to hear from those who have driven the 4x4 on summer tyres in the snow (if CrossClimates came in the Ateca's wheel size, I *might* consider it but for a 2-year lease, it is a big extra expense)

Will the 4x4 on the standard tyres make it through fairly flat roads covered in a couple of inches of snow?

I know that this is subjective but I am just looking for a feel of how much difference the 4x4 makes (all the review/YouTube videos are, I suspect, using winter tyres)

Cristi

Re: 4x4 Snow performance - your views

Post by Cristi » Fri May 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Snow tires make much more difference in snow than any 4drive system. So if you worry about driving in snow, the cheapest and safest way is to get snow tires or at least all seasons.

AlasdairMac

Post by AlasdairMac » Fri May 11, 2018 7:36 pm

I was quoted £180 each for snow tyres for my Ateca.. when I think back to this winter and the number of days they would have been useful then there is no way the best part of £800 would have been worth it, particularly as I’d probably have been stuck behind other cars that didn’t have them fitted ! I suppose it will all depend on the mobility you need to guarantee yourself. Incidentally, snow drive mode does help as it prevents wheelspin.
Ateca 2.0 TDi 190 Xcellence DSG 4Drive Sunroof, Black.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:06 pm

AlasdairMac wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:36 pm
I was quoted £180 each for snow tyres for my Ateca.. when I think back to this winter and the number of days they would have been useful then there is no way the best part of £800 would have been worth it,
'
You can get snow tyres cheaper than that - or buy them during the summer! But at £800 for one LED headlamp alone, the slightest bump and those tyres have paid for themselves. By the way, the slightest bump seems to break the plastic securing lug on those headlights therefore if it's not possible to bodge a repair, you're looking at a new headlight.

For the first time ever I'm looking to use either cross-climates or winter next year. If you check tyre size conversion tables there's a cross-climate you can use on original 18" alloys.

As for buying a 4x4 for use in the snow? A Canadian relative of mine has a saying - you know when black ice is on the road when the 4x4's start piling up in roadside ditches. Remember, even 4x4 vehicles need to wear winter tyres in countries with fierce winters.

mattlittle

Post by mattlittle » Fri May 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Part of the issue is that Michelin don't make Cross climates in the wheel size for the Ateca 4wd and I don't want to go to the further expense of steel wheels.

I don't need a cross country monster just something that is quite a bit better than a 2wd on summer tyres!

Kivi

Post by Kivi » Fri May 11, 2018 8:31 pm

4x4 are still useless in winter conditions without wintertyres and as Golfmk56 mentions they are hopeless on icy roads.

This is still a good test to view.

Ateca 1.4 Excellence DSG, Brilliant Silver, double boot, sat nav, top view camera, driving assistance pack, electric tailgate and a lot of options i haven't figured out yet.

DavidP

Post by DavidP » Fri May 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Tyres are far more important than 4x4. I live in France near the Pyrenees and see lots of front wheel drive cars, shod with winder rubber, driving with ease on snowy and icy roads.

I put winter tyres on my Areca which is a 4x4, stuck the drive select thing in Snow Mode, and the car behaved as if there was no snow or ice on the road. No loss of traction at all.
XCELLENCE 2.0 TDI 4Drive 150 Manual
Reflex Silver, Spare Wheel, SEAT Sound, Virtual Pedal, ACC
Delivered July 2017

mattlittle

Post by mattlittle » Fri May 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Kivi wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:31 pm
4x4 are still useless in winter conditions without wintertyres and as Golfmk56 mentions they are hopeless on icy roads.

This is still a good test to view.

Thanks, I'd seen that video and given that I'm not not trying to climb a mountain, I'm trying to get a sense of how well the 4wd car deals with 'normal' roads covered in snow.

If Michelin did cross climate tyres in the Ateca size, I'd probably get them to match with the 4wd but that's unfortunately not an option.

Cristi

Post by Cristi » Sat May 12, 2018 9:28 am

One other thing you may consider is that winter tires also have much better performance on clear roads if the temperatures fall bellow 6°C. So you will benefit from them even if you just get snow for no more than a few days. And if you think about it, you will spread your tire wear on both set of tires so actually you're not loosing anything, just the inconvenience of fitting them.

AlasdairMac

Post by AlasdairMac » Sun May 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Golfmk56 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:06 pm
AlasdairMac wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:36 pm
I was quoted £180 each for snow tyres for my Ateca.. when I think back to this winter and the number of days they would have been useful then there is no way the best part of £800 would have been worth it,
'
You can get snow tyres cheaper than that - or buy them during the summer! But at £800 for one LED headlamp alone, the slightest bump and those tyres have paid for themselves. By the way, the slightest bump seems to break the plastic securing lug on those headlights therefore if it's not possible to bodge a repair, you're looking at a new headlight.

For the first time ever I'm looking to use either cross-climates or winter next year. If you check tyre size conversion tables there's a cross-climate you can use on original 18" alloys.

As for buying a 4x4 for use in the snow? A Canadian relative of mine has a saying - you know when black ice is on the road when the 4x4's start piling up in roadside ditches. Remember, even 4x4 vehicles need to wear winter tyres in countries with fierce winters.
The cheapest summer tyres come in at around £165 each bu5 my main point was “does the weather where you are driving warrant the cost of winter tyres” and in my case for the reason I gave the answer is an emphatic no” . Others will decide differently based on their own circumstances.
PS. £800 for a headlight would be an insurance job costing me only my excess - my ncb is protected.
Ateca 2.0 TDi 190 Xcellence DSG 4Drive Sunroof, Black.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”