Tyre mileage

All Seat Ateca related discussions
tobydog
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:04 am
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Tyre mileage

Post by tobydog » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:43 pm

During my first service this weekend the dealer measured the tyre tread depth. After 10,500 miles I had just under 7mm on the back and just under 5.5mm on the front. Pretty pleased with that. Despite the arguments for and against swapping tyres back with front, I got the dealer to do it. He did say they don't recommend it but, with the sufficient tread depth I had, I can't see it making much difference. This will allow all four tyres to wear out at around the same time which will then let me consider an alternative tyre make. If I leave the tyres as they are I'll end up putting the same tyre back on again when only the fronts wear out. I'm hoping that in a years time I might have more options for All-Season tyres in the awkward 215/50/18 size.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D


MBM
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:57 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Tyre mileage

Post by MBM » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:35 am

yeah I cant understand why it is not recomended to swap front to back.
I could also see the benefits of doing so. You would get better grip on the front.
Rhodium Grey, 1.4 DSG, Virtual cockpit, adaptive cruise control, navigation etc. 19"
Denmark.


DavidP
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Re: Tyre mileage

Post by DavidP » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Most people appear to be getting better mileage from their tyres than I am. I starting to wonder what I'm doing wrong. I drive gently, mainly A road work with the occasional motorway run to the airport. The tyre pressures are checked weekly.

Any suggestions?
XCELLENCE 2.0 TDI 4Drive 150 Manual
Reflex Silver, Spare Wheel, SEAT Sound, Virtual Pedal, ACC
Delivered July 2017


Silvertouran
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: Tyre mileage

Post by Silvertouran » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Just checked my Falken Azenis tyres at 10,000 miles and mine are as follows.
Front 5mm at centre. 6mm on the outside
Rear 6mm at centre. Closer to 7mm on the outside.
So looks like mine are slightly over inflated from factory as I’ve never checked them.
Just checked them and they are all around 37psi.


tobydog
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:04 am
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Tyre mileage

Post by tobydog » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:39 am

MBM wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:35 am
yeah I cant understand why it is not recomended to swap front to back.
I could also see the benefits of doing so. You would get better grip on the front.
MBM - the rationale is simply that having excessive grip on the front can destabilise the rear under turning or hard breaking (at least on front wheel drive cars). It's the same argument for not putting winter or all-season tyres just on the front (for the perceived extra grip) because the back could more easily swing round and induce an over-steer slide which is apparently harder to control than under-steer.

With front wheel drive cars, having the car / tyres in harmony should induce the intended gentle under-steer if you go into a corner too quick. just try and avoid the oncoming truck on the other side of the road :shock: .

It's easy to see the arguments for and against. Better control of aquaplaning and better turn in with more grip on the front but there's a price to pay on the rear. That's why, in my mind, you should totally ignore the 1.6mm legal minimum tyre tread requirement and have no less than 3mm all round. This way, mixing your tyres will have less of an impact. I know that Michelin are now developing tyres that still maintain their effectiveness even down to 1.6mm albeit probably in the dry.

If I remember correctly, the 1.6mm minimum was established when the average car tyre was much narrower than it is now. The question that needed answering was - what depth of tyre tread would be needed to displace a specific amount of water at a certain speed. 1.6mm was the answer which is fine if you have tyre widths around 185 or less. With my Ateca being on 215's, I either reduce my speed to reset the balance (obvious one) or avoid standing water (not so easy).
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D


Samsonite
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Re: Tyre mileage

Post by Samsonite » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:35 pm

tobydog wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:39 am
MBM wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:35 am
yeah I cant understand why it is not recomended to swap front to back.
I could also see the benefits of doing so. You would get better grip on the front.
MBM - the rationale is simply that having excessive grip on the front can destabilise the rear under turning or hard breaking (at least on front wheel drive cars). It's the same argument for not putting winter or all-season tyres just on the front (for the perceived extra grip) because the back could more easily swing round and induce an over-steer slide which is apparently harder to control than under-steer.

With front wheel drive cars, having the car / tyres in harmony should induce the intended gentle under-steer if you go into a corner too quick. just try and avoid the oncoming truck on the other side of the road :shock: .

It's easy to see the arguments for and against. Better control of aquaplaning and better turn in with more grip on the front but there's a price to pay on the rear. That's why, in my mind, you should totally ignore the 1.6mm legal minimum tyre tread requirement and have no less than 3mm all round. This way, mixing your tyres will have less of an impact. I know that Michelin are now developing tyres that still maintain their effectiveness even down to 1.6mm albeit probably in the dry.

If I remember correctly, the 1.6mm minimum was established when the average car tyre was much narrower than it is now. The question that needed answering was - what depth of tyre tread would be needed to displace a specific amount of water at a certain speed. 1.6mm was the answer which is fine if you have tyre widths around 185 or less. With my Ateca being on 215's, I either reduce my speed to reset the balance (obvious one) or avoid standing water (not so easy).

They actually developed them for motorcycle tyres already, the Michelin pilot road 5. The groves/water reservoirs actually have some sort of trapezoidal snap so as they wear they actually get wider and so the amount of water they hold and move away is the same! I thought the tech came from car tyres, if not would be surprised if they didn't port it across to car tyres.


Silvertouran
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: Tyre mileage

Post by Silvertouran » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:48 pm

Silvertouran wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 pm
Just checked my Falken Azenis tyres at 10,000 miles and mine are as follows.
Front 5mm at centre. 6mm on the outside
Rear 6mm at centre. Closer to 7mm on the outside.
So looks like mine are slightly over inflated from factory as I’ve never checked them.
Just checked them and they are all around 37psi.
Tyre report after first service at roughly 18,500 miles.
Fronts 4,4,5 and 5,4,4 mm
Rears 5,6,6 and 6,6,7 mm


The Golden Rod
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:31 am

Re: Tyre mileage

Post by The Golden Rod » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:41 am

Bridgestones are solid tyres if you ask me, excellent quality. IIRC I had 4 Bridgestones when I first got my Ateca, and when I had to replace some of my tyres about a year and a half after I got the car I went with a pair of bridgestone turanza's. I wouldn't have had to replace any of the tyres at all, but some of the road surfaces near where we live are really appalling. Anyway


Excalibrates
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Tyre mileage

Post by Excalibrates » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:28 am

21k miles on factory Falken Azenis on a 1.4TSI FWD and fronts now need replacing, rears on around 4mm.
1.4 XCellence Nevada White, Driving Assist 2 Pack, Xcellence Pack, Dual Floor, heated screen + other stuff


pharring
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 am

Re: Tyre mileage

Post by pharring » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:41 pm

I have just swapped my Bridgestones for Goodyear Vector 4 Season Gen 2, I have 2.0 4WD running 17inch wheels so swap out was a doddle and cost around 500 euros. Bridgestones still had maybe 3.5mm at the back but from were around 2mm. Vectors feel really grippy and oddly they really look nice too.


Post Reply

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”