Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Drive Mode resets to Normal after a re-started engine

26K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  AndyE14 
#1 ·
IS this correct?

So, i choose either ECO or SPORTS mode for a trip (using the turn dial in centre column), then do that trip, with the correct light lit up on the centre dial.

Turn off the engine, do a new trip, the light on the centre column is on, say, ECO, but the car is in Normal gear mode.???

Its not a big issue, but an annoying one, you think your in ECO as per the light, but the car is actually driving in Normal.

I reset the centre dial every trip back to normal so i know for the next trip where the car is actually set to.....

Is this a fault or correct?

#5 ·
Further to your enquiry regarding the Eco mode of your SEAT Ateca.

I queried this with Seat UK and received the following reply. Having discussed your query regarding the Eco mode of your vehicle with our Technical Support Team. They advise that the Eco Mode needs to be reset every time you restart the engine and this is normal.

I hope the above information proves helpful. If you have any other questions, please contact me via the details below.

Thank you for contacting SEAT UK.

Kind regards

Abdul Rehman
Customer Relations Advisor
SEAT UK

#8 ·
AlasdairMac said:
My 2.0. 190 diesel with the DSG box holds ECO no with no problems, as evidenced by the ECO drive mode indicator showing and the E code displayed without a gear number when it is cruising in neutral.
Mine too :D

#9 ·
I was under the impression that it always went back into ECO mode as they had to make it do that as the new emissions test was used in ECO mode so it has to be the default.

As I never use ECO mode (aka Granny Mode) I cannot say what my personal experience is.

#11 ·
Flakmunky said:
My 190 TDI DSG does NOT return to Eco mode. The dial says Eco, but the gearbox is standard Drive and no Eco coasting.
That sounds like a bug/glitch. If it says Eco on the dial, surely it should be in Eco mode.

#14 ·
Yes, it's annoying, but easily solved by turning the dial one click to either side and back again. The setting will then be correct. Annoying, but it takes about one second of effort whenever you start the car.

#16 ·
As I have yet to get my Ateca I can not say what it does. But on the loan, VW Tiguan when you turn the engine on it goes back to sport mode. Though the dial function is for the 4 WD system off-road, winter road, rough. A centre button allows you to choose between custom/road/eco/sport on the infotainment screen.

#17 ·
I have also raised this with the dealership and they also confirmed that this is 'intended' way to work.
But I think its sh*t, and very annoying, and they just try to sell their bug as a feature.
It should either keep the settings or revert the driving mode knob as well.

#18 ·
That's because, having been tested under the relevant emissions tests, they are obliged to default to normal. It's the same with start stop. It's the same with all cars now. Get used to it - it's simple enough to set it to what you want, it's no more difficult than starting the engine. Actually it's simpler as you don't need to have your foot on the brake/clutch to do it!

#19 ·
I think my drive mode is broken, i have 1.5 manual 2wd, there is no discernible difference between any of the modes, I my 320gt there was a huge difference in throttle position, auto box aside, the difference in how much you had to move pedal, even on ky motorbike there is a very discernible difference between modes, yet this car feels exactly the sane in any mode.

Also my ASR only has an option for OFF, but not on again, to get it on I have to choose ESC, wierd, think I need a trip to the dealers.

#20 ·
On my 1.5 there is certainly a difference between sport and Normal with the throttle lighter and steering more weighted.
An additional question how can you tell what mode it is is in when I change the dial I get the notification on the infotainment system but how do you tell what mode it is in if you can not trust the dial when you start the engine?

#21 ·
If you are worried about which setting you actually have, rather than what it says on the dial when you start, all you have to do is move it one position away from the setting and then back and it will give you what you want. It's a real pain, but so simple to sort out, you will get used to it very quickly.

As I posted earlier, it's not a bug, just VAG having to conform to these ridiculous emission tests.

G
#22 ·
Fred99 said:
As I posted earlier, it's not a bug, just VAG having to conform to these ridiculous emission tests.
Well the fact that it's resetting is not a bug, I think you are right about that. But the fact that the mode knob indicator is not reset also, that IS a bug. There is absolutely no justification whatsover to not reset the indicator when the mode is reset.

#23 ·
Tet70 said:
Fred99 said:
Well the fact that it's resetting is not a bug, I think you are right about that. But the fact that the mode knob indicator is not reset also, that IS a bug. There is absolutely no justification whatsover to not reset the indicator when the mode is reset.
Except that the switch/dial is mechanical not electro/mechanical I guess

#26 ·
@Bedlam, the knob itself doesn't indicate the drive mode position. That is shown by LEDs under the knob itself.
EG: when you select the drive mode from the infotainment centre, the LED indicator changes but the knob itself doesn't move... When the engine is off you can spin the knob round and round and nothing is changed unless the ignition is on.. Not sure whether that makes sense?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.