Drive Mode resets to Normal after a re-started engine

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Smiffy

Re: Drive Mode resets to Normal after a re-started engine

Post by Smiffy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:32 pm

I think the confusion may be because there's a Sport mode in the Drive Profile, and there's another one, as there always has been, in the DSG. One of the four components of the DP mode is gearbox setting. I think when you select a DP mode, it changes the gearbox setting, but after switch-off, the DSG does what it always has done, and starts in D. Not very well thought through, IMHO.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:24 pm

There is more to the Sport profile than the DSG behaviour. Using the gear lever to toggle between D and S merely affects the gearbox, not the other parameters such as throttle response, steering ACC etc.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

leWrat

Post by leWrat » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Fred99 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:24 pm
There is more to the Sport profile than the DSG behaviour. Using the gear lever to toggle between D and S merely affects the gearbox, not the other parameters such as throttle response, steering ACC etc.
Ah, so using the lever to go from current to Sport and back only changes the DSG behaviour? Good to know, thanks.

As for the car starting in D/normal even though the dial is set on something else, it does appear as if it is more than the DSG set to Normal.
I turned the car off in Eco profile, started it and as we know it was showing D1 in the cockpit and Eco on the dial.
I then drove it and tried to get it to "coast" which it can do in Eco, but it wouldn't.
I then turned the dial to Normal and back to Eco and this time it would "coast", implying that the active profile on startup was in fact Normal, not just the DSG setting.
MY19 Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 in Rhodium Grey with spacesaver wheel.

Bedlam

Post by Bedlam » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:18 pm

Thanks for the DSG lever "pull back" tip @lewrat
It worked in changing "D" to "S"
I am still confused what "full" mode I am in though, this is definately a confusing issue.
I consider myself quite a bright individual so doubt a dealer can enlighten me
Ateca 2.0 TDi Xcellence DSG 4Drive in Black Magic, 19" Exclusive Wheels, Top View Camera, Park Assist, Virtual Tailgate Pedal, Heated Windscreen

Tet70

Post by Tet70 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:40 am

Bedlam wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:18 pm
I am still confused what "full" mode I am in though, this is definately a confusing issue.
I consider myself quite a bright individual so doubt a dealer can enlighten me
If you select the individual mode, software button appears on the main screen which says "Profile setup". If you touch that button, you get some controls to set different features of the "individual" profile. At least those features are affected by all drive modes.
Jungle Green 1.4 TSI 4Drive DSG Style + quite a lot of extras. Delivered in less than 8 months. :roll:

leWrat

Post by leWrat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:29 pm

If anyone is interested, I have had a response from Seat re. why D/normal is selected on startup, I have copied it below together with my response:
With regard to your case, we inform you that, due to homologation regulations that we are obliged to comply with, the cars have to start in "normal" mode.

This operation is specified in the manual of the car and obeys to the need to comply with the WLTP regulations, that require the cars always start with the approved values.

DrivingProfile.png

In the past, with the NEFC regulation, it was possible to start the car with equal or lower values, but the WLTP regulation is more restrictive, and in order to comply with it, all the brands of the Volkswagen Group (VW, SKODA, AUDI and SEAT) have agreed to start the car with the features of the last selected driving mode but with the motor and the gear on the normal mode.

In addition, we have sent a copy of your query to our Importer in your country, SEAT UK, responsible for sales and after sales matters in the United Kingdom, and whose contact details are as follows:[/i]

My response, which has will almost certainly make no difference, especially as it is only my opinion:
Thank you for your response.
I am not stating that the car should not start in “normal” mode but that the Driving profile dial should also change, on start-up, to show the “normal” profile/mode and for the “normal” driving profile in its entirety to be active/selected. Otherwise the engine and the gear will match the “normal” profile and the other driving profile properties will reflect the previously selected profile, i.e. the car is in a mixed up profile that is not reflected in the Driving profile dial selection.

I believe that it is clearer and more intuitive that the car always starts in the entire “normal” profile and that the Driving profile dial displays the “normal” profile as selected.

foz

Post by foz » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:37 pm

Possible fix with OBDeleven?

leWrat

Post by leWrat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:16 pm

foz wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:37 pm
Possible fix with OBDeleven?
I know little about that kind of stuff, but I would think that it would require more than a configuration change to make it work as I would want, it really depends how their software has been designed/coded.
It would need to have software (apologies to all automobile software developers) that says something like:
On start-up:
if set_driving_profile_to_normal = true then //This is the property that ODBeleven would change from false to true
set driving_profile_to_normal
else
change engine and gear to "normal" .

but it may only have
On start-up:
change engine and gear to "normal" .

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm

I really don’t understand why so many people have a problem with this. SEAT have given a perfectly acceptable reason why they have been forced to do this.

If you don’t like it, as I have said many times, just spend half a second rotating the dial and back again.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

leWrat

Post by leWrat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Fred99 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm
I really don’t understand why so many people have a problem with this. SEAT have given a perfectly acceptable reason why they have been forced to do this.

If you don’t like it, as I have said many times, just spend half a second rotating the dial and back again.
Seat have been forced to ensure that the car starts in the D/normal engine/gear setting.
What I don't like is that as a result the profile indicated by the Driving profile dial may no longer be correct. It is this that I would like "fixed" by not only changing those two parts of the profile to "normal" but instead set the entire profile to "normal" and to reflect this in the dial instead of the dial being incorrect.

We as drivers can fix it by rotating the dial but we shouldn't need to.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”