Brake Lights

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Smiffy

Brake Lights

Post by Smiffy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:31 am

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it.

Does anyone know if the brake lights come on when the car applies them automatically? I'm thinking of Auto Hold, ACC, and Front Assist.

It's a bit scary if someone pulls out in front under ACC and the car slows quite rapidly - I'm sitting there wondering if the guy behind is getting any warning?

In the olden days, the brake lights were operated by a switch on the brake pedal, but I'm hoping it's a lot more sophisticated than that now.

Wilber6

Re: Brake Lights

Post by Wilber6 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:17 am

I have noticed that when the car is stationary with the Auto Hold function on, the brake lights are also on. I have seen this in my rear view mirror. I don't know about the other functions.
Wilber6
Wilber6
Ateca 1.0 SE Technology Ecomotive in Nevada White metallic, Nora Blue interior, 18" bi-colour alloys, space saver spare wheel, privacy glass.
Merseyside

Smiffy

Post by Smiffy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:20 pm

Ah! - that's useful info. If it puts the lights on for one automatic function, it would make sense for it to do it for all of them.

Thanks for that.

freddie

Post by freddie » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:29 pm

All of the above will put the brake lights on. With a manual the brake lights remain on all the time whilst auto hold is on.

Billio

Post by Billio » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi All,

Well I wish the lights didn't come on when auto hold is on and the car is stationery in a queue. I hate being sat behind a car with its brake lights on and being blinded, and I am now very conscious that I am doing the same to whoever is behind me. After all, none of my previous cars had autohold and I never kept my foot on the brake when stationery, I used the handbrake. Yes, I can turn autohold off to prevent this, but it is a great feature to use.

Happy Motoring

Billio
Excellence 1.4 EcoTSI Rodium Grey, Spare Wheel and Double Floor with Pack 1. Ordered March 8th, picked up 30th June, and it's great.

Rory

Post by Rory » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:32 pm

Billio wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:29 pm
Well I wish the lights didn't come on when auto hold is on and the car is stationery in a queue. I hate being sat behind a car with its brake lights on and being blinded, and I am now very conscious that I am doing the same to whoever is behind me. After all, none of my previous cars had autohold and I never kept my foot on the brake when stationery, I used the handbrake. Yes, I can turn autohold off to prevent this, but it is a great feature to use.
Older VAG cars, like our late mk1 Tiguan, don't leave the brake lights on with auto-hold. It's for that reason that we don't use auto-hold on that car - I don't want to find myself sat at the back of a queue without brake lights showing.

As for blinding the car behind, look around you when you're next stopped at traffic lights - it's rare to see a car without its brake lights on.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Almost all automatics will sit with the brake on even if they do not have electronic brakes like the Ateca.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

AndyE14

Post by AndyE14 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:00 pm

The car seems to have some sort of regenerative braking with ACC it can slow quite markedly without the brake lights coming on. It only puts the brake lights on when driving with ACC when it activates emergency braking.
2.0L 190 PS 4WD DSG, Rodium grey, heated windscreen, panoramic sunroof, xcellence pack, advanced driving & comfort pack plus 2, navigation system plus pack, electric drivers seat, boot divider net.

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:03 am

The ACC in Ateca does put the brakes on at all times.
Ateca 1.6tdi Xcellence Lux DSG in Samoa Orange 8-)

AndyE14

Post by AndyE14 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:47 pm

SCBomorse wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:03 am
The ACC in Ateca does put the brakes on at all times.
I don’t think it does, certainly the brake lights do not come on when slowing thenonly time the brake lights come on for me when in ACC is of emergency braking is triggered.
2.0L 190 PS 4WD DSG, Rodium grey, heated windscreen, panoramic sunroof, xcellence pack, advanced driving & comfort pack plus 2, navigation system plus pack, electric drivers seat, boot divider net.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”