Brake Lights

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Flakmunky

Re: Brake Lights

Post by Flakmunky » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:14 pm

Billio wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:29 pm
Well I wish the lights didn't come on when auto hold is on and the car is stationery in a queue. I hate being sat behind a car with its brake lights on and being blinded, and I am now very conscious that I am doing the same to whoever is behind me.
I read some interesting research that concluded the percentage of automatic transmission vehicles rear-ended to manual transmissions was far fewer and speculated this was due to the brake lights...

But I know what you mean.... I don't like blinding people either....
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue with:
Digital Cockpit, Top View, Park Assist & Advanced Comfort & Driving Pack Plus 2

nitrous

Post by nitrous » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:29 pm

AndyE14 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:47 pm
SCBomorse wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:03 am
The ACC in Ateca does put the brakes on at all times.
I don’t think it does, certainly the brake lights do not come on when slowing thenonly time the brake lights come on for me when in ACC is of emergency braking is triggered.
I was wondering whether this has anything to do with the 'smart alternator' effectively providing regenerative braking and slowing the vehicle on overrun more so than just coasting (mine's a manual). I don't know how much extra slowing or braking this would cause though, and then the car might only present brake lights when using the hydraulic brake circuits? :?:

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:02 pm

The brake lights come on whenever the brakes are applied. I checked tonight on the way home!

There is a definite engine braking in the DSG and it is very noticeable as opposed to coasting.

In Eco, let off the gas and the vehicle coasts - no gear indicator (just E on the dash) and a little Eco symbol on the display. As soon as you touch the brake then engine coasting is disengaged adn the vehicle slows quite a bit. Touching the accelerator again then letting go engages coasting again.

You can get engine braking by pulling one of the paddles as well. I can't remember which but I think it may be the left hand one.

The engine braking is quite pronounced and coasting never occurs with ACC active.
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue with:
Digital Cockpit, Top View, Park Assist & Advanced Comfort & Driving Pack Plus 2

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 pm

I have use dmy ACC extensively and in the dark. I can confirm the lights come on all the time on mine, you can see it reflected in road signs and cars numberplate behind.
Ateca 1.6tdi Xcellence Lux DSG in Samoa Orange 8-)

Analoguekid

Post by Analoguekid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:49 am

If you don’t like leaving autohold on in long traffic queue, then once stopped flick the handbrake switch, once the ℗ in the dashboard goes from green to red the brakelights go out.

When using ACC anytime brakes applied the lights are activated, however if you are only slowing enough not to use brakes, ie car in front only going slightly slower than you, then car will come off the gas and slow gently, not using brakes or brakelights, a bit like you do yourself in that situation.

If you want to sit closer to car in front with ACC on eg 50mph narrow lane like current on M6 for about 30 miles, then keep your foot slightly on throttle pedal and car will sit closer than system normally allows.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”