Does heated electric window clear ice?

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Ex-repairman

Does heated electric window clear ice?

Post by Ex-repairman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:04 am

Hi All,

My wife collected her new Areca FR on Thursday and we are both delighted with it. Amongst a few options we ordered was the electric heated windscreen which, due to previous experience with other makes,we assumed would melt ice. My wife tried it on Friday and it seemed to have no effect whatsoever. The manual only seems to suggest that it removes internal condensation and I can feel no warmth in the screen at all, again I have been able to with previous cars. From your experience do we have a fault? Or, have we misinterpreted what the function is for?

Many help for any guidance you can offer.
1.4Tsi Manual FR. Rhodium Grey. Panoramic sunroof. Winter Pack. Dtiver assistance pack. Park assist. Electric heated windscreen

leWrat

Re: Does heated electric window clear ice?

Post by leWrat » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:27 am

Not used it on my Ateca yet but had it on my previous car.
It's speed of effect very much depended on the outside air temp and the thickness of ice.
On very cold/thick ice days it took a while to appear to have an effect and the main thing that it did was melt a thin layer of the ice that was touching the screen, this made it much easier to scrape/push the remaining ice off the screen with an ice scraper. Maybe if I had waited long enough it would have completely melted but I never gave it the time.
If the ice was thin then it would indeed melt all of it off to the point where I could use the wipers to remove the remaining slush/water.

The screen never felt warm to touch when using only the electric windscreen heater.

My main mistake has been to not wait till the ice has softened/loosened enough to use the wipers, therefore slightly damaging the edge of the wiper blades causing them not to be so effective till I replaced them. :(
MY19 Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 in Rhodium Grey with spacesaver wheel.

Ex-repairman

Post by Ex-repairman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:34 am

LeWrat,
Thanks for quick reply, your previous experience is similar to mine although I thought I could feel some heat - maybe it was imagination!
Shame about your wipers, know that feeling too!
1.4Tsi Manual FR. Rhodium Grey. Panoramic sunroof. Winter Pack. Dtiver assistance pack. Park assist. Electric heated windscreen

DSG4WD

Post by DSG4WD » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:46 am

Are you pushing the "max defrost" button? If you are then by the time you have scraped the side windows your screen should have totally cleared. If it doesn't it sounds like a fault.
Lava blue Excellence 190 DSG 4WD with heated windscreen, park assist, spare wheel, top view camera, adaptive cruise control and boot organiser nets.

Ex-repairman

Post by Ex-repairman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks, not sure whether she did so will check. If you put heater max on as well how do you know it’s not that that’s clearing the ice rather than the electric element? Apologies if that’s a naive question.

Rory

Post by Rory » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Ex-repairman wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:04 am
My wife tried it on Friday and it seemed to have no effect whatsoever. The manual only seems to suggest that it removes internal condensation and I can feel no warmth in the screen at all, again I have been able to with previous cars.
How did she turn it on? My understanding is that it has to be turned in settings, either manually, or to work automatically based on temp and humidity.

If it's set to automatic then pressing the max 'defrost' button on the heater control panel should turn it on.
Ateca SE-L 1.0TSi - Sept 18 - daughter's
Tiguan Match 2.0TDi 4Motion DSG - Sept 15 - wife's
Thinking about something with 7 seats to replace my old Mercedes C270CDi Estate

Warthog

Post by Warthog » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:19 pm

My dealer set it up so when you press the max button it turns the heated windscreen as well. Sadly in last 2 weeks have not had a chance to use it on anything but frost but for that worked well.
Ateca FR 1.5, Velvet Red, Panoramic Sun Roof, Heated Windscreen, Digital Cockpit
Ordered WK17
Confirmed WK19
Build WK38
In UK WK41
Collected WK42

DSG4WD

Post by DSG4WD » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:37 pm

Ex-repairman wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:01 am
Thanks, not sure whether she did so will check. If you put heater max on as well how do you know it’s not that that’s clearing the ice rather than the electric element? Apologies if that’s a naive question.
Just to clarify, it's max defrost - one button that changes all the settings to combine blowing and the electric element. Believe me, when it clears you will be in no doubt, it's quite different to waiting around for the blower to work.
Lava blue Excellence 190 DSG 4WD with heated windscreen, park assist, spare wheel, top view camera, adaptive cruise control and boot organiser nets.

Ex-repairman

Post by Ex-repairman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:03 pm

Guys, thank you all for your responses. My dealer had to look in the manual to see how to switch it on, so based on your comments I shall adjust the settings.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Analoguekid

Post by Analoguekid » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:41 pm

If you hit setup button on heater controls you can switch on manually from icon on left middle of screen.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”