Caravan

All Seat Ateca related discussions
zippy

Caravan

Post by zippy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Does anyone here tow a caravan or trailor with their Ateca?

Probably will be buying car soon...so how does it tow?

On paper it seems it will have no problem.

Zippy 8-)

tindle8topcliffe

Re: Caravan

Post by tindle8topcliffe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:42 pm

I have a 6 month old 1.4 tsi petrol manual. Kerbweight 1349 kgs. I tow a sprite alpine 2 berth. Fully loaded max 1170 kgs. The caravan is slightly above the 85% rule for stability but I have been towing for 30 years. The ateca is a great tow car but easily can exceed the 60 mile per hour speed limit if you don’t keep an eye on the speedo. Quick to get away from a standing position. Very much depends on what model ateca you have and what caravan you tow. Be very careful you only tow within the 85% rule otherwise you may have an unstable van. Check out the web site for the caravan and Motorhome Club site. All you need to know about towing if this is the first time, if you are an expert then you should never have any trouble matching an ateca to a caravan. All said I agree that my ateca is a great tow car.
Lava blue manual 1.4 tsi FR. One engine, 6 wheels, four doors, a back door, disco lighting, cinema screen on dash board, hook at the back for additional passenger to hang onto. Picked up 1st March 2018 from dealer

tindle8topcliffe

Post by tindle8topcliffe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Should mention the car s a 150 ps.. I have some pictures on this site to refer to. See my user tindle8topcliffe
Lava blue manual 1.4 tsi FR. One engine, 6 wheels, four doors, a back door, disco lighting, cinema screen on dash board, hook at the back for additional passenger to hang onto. Picked up 1st March 2018 from dealer

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:45 pm

I have a 190 TDI 4Drive and a Swift 4 berth with a loaded weight of 1400kg (weighed at 2 different weighbridges) and I typically tow with my wife and daughter and carry the awning in the car as well as my daughters toys and all our clothes. Towing ratio is 88%.

My previous tow car was a 3.0TDI V6 Touareg, and, quite honestly, the Ateca is as good as the Touareg. Ok, the Treg was heavier and my towing ratio was about 77% but on the road, it is absolutely fine. Very stable and planted and cross winds have not been an issue.

I would consider getting the factory fit towbar. It is semi electrically retractable and is integrated in to the other vehicle systems. For example, it will automatically deactivate Blind Spot Monitor, rear parking sensors and the electric boot. It will also show trailer speed restrictions if you have Traffic Sign Recognition and the car's anti-theft alarm will sound if the trailer electric socket is removed whilst the car is locked.

I know there are aftermarket systems that integrate with the vehicles systems, but I'm not sure if they integrate to the same degree. For me, not having to scrabble around on my hands and knees to fit / unfit the tow ball is another big plus!

Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue with:
Digital Cockpit, Top View, Park Assist & Advanced Comfort & Driving Pack Plus 2

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:30 pm

I have a 2L diesel 4drive with a after market tow bar. After market electrics work fine. Towing is a dream. Towing ratio is around the 80% caravan max load 1300 kg.

The Golden Rod

Post by The Golden Rod » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Can't imagine it'd be too bad at towing!

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Phantom wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:30 pm
I have a 2L diesel 4drive with a after market tow bar. After market electrics work fine. Towing is a dream. Towing ratio is around the 80% caravan max load 1300 kg.
Hi Phantom,

Does it integrate with the car's systems as I described? If so, what did you pay for it? It'd be interesting to compare with the factory fit option for people placing orders.

Thanks,

fM
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue with:
Digital Cockpit, Top View, Park Assist & Advanced Comfort & Driving Pack Plus 2

Phosphoric

Post by Phosphoric » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:01 pm

I tow an Eriba Triton 430GT at about 1000kg with my 1.4 petrol.

It tows fine and I get about 30mpg when towing.

The factory fit towbar is brilliant and as well as other features mentioned above, it also disables the smart alternator function when towing, a very important feature on modern towcars.

Seat also claim it has some sort of trailer stabilty function as well to reduce snaking.
1.4 Eco TSI SE in Rhodium Grey. Convenience pack, towbar and spacesaver spare wheel. 5 year warranty

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:47 am

HI fM
It is difficult to be absolutely sure what systems are enabled/disabled with a retrofit towbar. certainly auto stop start is NOT disabled, which can upset set Alko ATC systems It sees it as to many power interruptions decides there is a fault and disables itself. Bur the mk1 finger sorts that one out. As for all the other systems there are some mentioned in the hand book which are only enabled with a factory fit bar. I have had no issues with a retro bar. Towsure detachable is the one I had fitted with a dedicated wiring kit £600 all fitted and programmed.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”