More Satnav Map Update Problems

All Seat Ateca related discussions
cmsdrums

Re: More Satnav Map Update Problems

Post by cmsdrums » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:26 pm

Latest update on my issue... just had a call from my SEAT dealer and they can’t help reloading my file or anything else....other than the option of them ordering me a new Sat Nav card for £60 😡
SE Technology 1.6 TDI with winter pack, sound pack and space saving spare wheel, reversing camera and velvet red metallic paint. Ordered 6 March 2018, build week 15 (mid April 2018), collected 16 May 2018 (week 20).

reallywantanateca

Post by reallywantanateca » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:57 am

cmsdrums - I think your best option to try and get around not paying Seat for a new card would be to get a copy of another Ateca owner with a working OVERALL.NDS . Happy to send you mine.

I don't think the OVERALL.NDS is specific to each car. When I got my Ateca it can with maps 0730, I then upgraded this to 0930 my copying all of the files form 0930 including OVERALL.NDS and all worked fine. A few months later I upgraded to 1120, copying all of the files again, this didn't work until I replaced the OVERALL.NDS file from my backup of 0930. So I'm running 1120 with 0930 OVERALL.NDS. Looks like it may just be some issue with OVERALL.NDS from latest versions.
Ateca Xcellence 1.6TDI - Nevada White + space saver spare + heated windscreen

cmsdrums

Post by cmsdrums » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:58 pm

Cheers 'reallywantanateca' - appreciate that.

I've actually just bought a genuine nav card on Ebay now for £20...thought I'd see if it would work if I bought the exact same version number...wasn't sure as some have talked about the cards being uniquely ID'd to the specific car whatever the version number, but others saying if the version was the same then it should be good...well......

The good news is the card arrived today and I've just slotted it in and it works! I'm now going to do the updatign that I was attempting before, beign extra careful with the file from this new purchased card!!! :-)
SE Technology 1.6 TDI with winter pack, sound pack and space saving spare wheel, reversing camera and velvet red metallic paint. Ordered 6 March 2018, build week 15 (mid April 2018), collected 16 May 2018 (week 20).

wiz2003

Post by wiz2003 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:45 pm

I don't know if this has been repeated elsewhere, sorry if it has.
The original maps in my Ateca are 3 years old now, and yes I have been updating them using the 'known procedure', but I always have some problems with the speed limits on some roads compared to the original version 0635 - though 0915 is very good.
So, I decided to call my dealer - who could not help. So, I called Seat UK - who had to call me back.
When Seat UK called me back, the answer was astonishing.
'The factory have advised that there are no updates for your Seat Satnav, we can only supply you with the original part that was shipped with your vehicle.'
I raised several questions with Seat UK, but as HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE CASE WITH SEAT UK, YOU ARE TAKING TO A BRICK WALL!
It appears that if you are a Seat UK customer, you have to buy a new car to get an updated map.
Seat UK could learn a lot from Honda UK!

I know that this might seem strange, but I am not running with the original map, version 0635, but I am currently running with map version 1115 - from the 2017 VW Tiguan.

To move things on, I was wondering if the current 'known procedure' for updating could be taken further.
We know that the SD cards are registered with the car at PDI, and we are led to believe that this procedure registers the unique SD serial number with the car. And this may be true.
But, we also know that the satnav will not work if the OVERALL.NDS file is changed in any way. So, is it possibly the case that the OVERALL.NDS is updated to reflect a car serial number of sorts?
As has been mentioned elsewhere, perhaps collecting and comparing OVERALL.NDS files would hold the key.
I would be very happy to do this

Any thoughts?
Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, 18", Lava Blue, Seat sound, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack, Towbar.
Electric front seat not available.
Ordered on the 05/09/2016
Collected on the 04/11/2016

Thyper

Post by Thyper » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:54 pm

Adding my observations, information and expeirence to the thread if it helps.

I have a 67 plate Ibiza SE Tech (KJ) which came with 820 maps and a 18 plate Ateca (5F) that came with 730 maps. Both have the same 6PO head unit.

Both have been upgrade to 1115 using the original OVERALL.NDS file from each card, the file date and time for both of the OVERALL.NDS files is 1/08/2016 15:18:32. The size of the file is 16Kb. Not sure if this is of use. I will interesting to know the dates, times and size of other members OVERALL.NDS files to compare.

The first update the I carried out was to take them both to 915, since the updated to 1030 and now 1115. No problems encountered at all when updating. I aslo test them in both cars and they both work in each other, I leave them in each car for about a month before swaping them back to after each update. Is this down to them both having the same head unit?

Thyper
1.4 TSI DSG Xcellence with Space Saver Spare in Black Magic. Took ownership on 3rd March.

New Ibiza SE Tech 1.0 MPI in Desire Red.

Paul.Cambs

Post by Paul.Cambs » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:03 pm

Thyper wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:54 pm
I aslo test them in both cars and they both work in each other, I leave them in each car for about a month before swaping them back to after each update. Is this down to them both having the same head unit?

Thyper
Hi Thyper

You are probably in a very unique position, it's very interesting that the SD cards will work in either vehicle.

This implies that all that's checked by the head unit is that the Serial number of the physical card is recorded correctly in the software loaded on it.

Now the 64 dollar question is...is the serial encoded within the OVERALL.NDS or somewhere on a hidden partition

If you're feeling brave it would be interesting to know what happens if you swap the two OVERALL.NDS files between SD cards - I would suspect that neither will work in either vehicles until you swap the OVERALL.NDS back again - this would confirm OVERALL.NDS holds the serial number of the respective SD card and be a big step forward :-)
'Samantha' is a Feb-2018 Samoa FR 2.0 TSi 4Drive DSG
19" Wheels | KESSY | Power Tailgate | Adaptive Cruise | Top View Camera | Seat Sound
Convenience Pack | Winter Pack | Advanced Comfort and Driving Plus Pack | Heated Front Screen

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:58 pm

wiz2003 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Seat UK could learn a lot from Honda UK!
Really? I've had dealings with Honda UK and also felt like I was hitting my head against a brick wall.

But why mention Honda, why not Audi, VW or Skoda? The infotainment system in my Skoda is almost identical to the one in my SEAT - I was notified a few weeks ago of a new update and how to create it by downloading a file from their website. My Skoda now has the latest maps.

One thing I did notice when downloading / unpacking the file was sub-directories for SEAT which suggests the same files are used to update the SEAT system.

The only thing I know about SKODA is the SD card is peculiar to the car, therefore to update the maps I first had to backup the existing data on to my PC, then replace the unpacked files downloaded from Skoda website, on to the SD card that was supplied with my car. The download / unpacking / coppying to SD card took quite sometime, but it worked beautifully.

It's a mystery to me why SEAT don't offer the same facility. Has anyone else tried downloading the updated files from another VAG manufacturer and transferred them to the SEAT SD card?

aleao

Post by aleao » Wed May 01, 2019 12:23 am

I have a Navy System Plus and VW, Skoda maps works on it. I think that the maps for the normal Navy System works too.

But Seat have websites with the maps too, this is in portuguese but the maps are the same:

https://www.seat.pt/pos-venda/carro-sea ... s-gps.html

alexateca2018

Post by alexateca2018 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:48 pm

Has anybody had an update done by their dealer recently, rather than doing it yourself?
Ateca 2L Petrol Xcellence DSG 4Drive in Rhodium Grey, Collected June 2018, (Extras: Heated windscreen and spare wheel)

MBM

Post by MBM » Sat May 18, 2019 6:50 pm

alexateca2018 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:48 pm
Has anybody had an update done by their dealer recently, rather than doing it yourself?
that would be waste of money
Rhodium Grey, 1.4 DSG, Virtual cockpit, adaptive cruise control, navigation etc. 19"
Denmark.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”