Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

More Satnav Map Update Problems

99K views 193 replies 53 participants last post by  vectra 
#1 ·
OK so, with my Ateca's second service due soon, I thought I'd take the plunge and update the maps. Downloaded successfully, followed the instructions, backed up the car SD card, deleted the only folder there (maps), copied the newly downloaded folder (maps) onto the SD card, bunged it back in the Ateca and... "No Map Data Found" (or some such).

Panic.

Put the original folder back on the SD card, rebooted the entertainment/satnav system, put the SD card back in its slot and held my breath. Satnav recognised the old maps. Phew! So what did I do wrong? Thinking back, should I have rebooted the system before putting the SD card with the new maps in? Only occurred to me later, but I'm wary of going through the trauma again. Any advice? I may be strange but I'm happy with the satnav and don't want to be without it, though I'd like up to date maps.

#2 ·
You need to do everything you did earlier then copy from your backup this file
MAPS/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS to your SD card.
You might want to backup your updated card to a new file too, I keep a copy of every update (just in case)
BTW the maps are due another update quite soon, what version are you updating to?
1030 is the current version.

#3 ·
Thanks Bedlam, do you know why this has to be done? No mention of it in the Here instructions! They make out its straightforward but it seems anything but! I have seen elsewhere that 1030 is the latest version, but the Here website gave me 0915_MP171-1284.xEUR1. Maybe I'm getting this from the wrong place?

#7 ·
Sorry can't find a link to the next update yet....probably not out yet, but forget "Here", instead check out Audi, VW, Skoda update sites

#8 ·
Golfmk56 said:
Anteca said:
Many thanks. Why do things have to be so complicated?
'
Because the manufacturer wishes you to have the maps upgraded at the dealership would be my guess.
Out of interest I asked my dealer if they would update the maps at the service last year and he put me onto the Here update site!

#11 ·
Bedlam said:
@Anteca what Version maps do you now have installed, 1030 is the current latest one
Its 0730 as supplied with the car in Jan 2017. So it definitely needs an update. Frankly I'd be happy with the 0915 that I've downloaded, if it would work. I'm going to try again, using your advice on copying the file from the SD card. Fingers crossed.

#13 ·
Phew... successfully updated the maps - though clearly not the latest available, but the latest that HERE are offering for the Ateca! Very many thanks to Bedlam for the help on copying of that key file over. Why is that not mentioned on the HERE site? My dealer clearly isn't interested in doing a map update, so maybe they are unaware of this too?

#16 ·
Had a service in July and the dealer advised its too early to expect an update yet, but should be one soon I reckon! Apparently these detailed updates are costly if done too often - wondering why they don't just but into a third party contract so owners can pay for an update at anytime, makes sense to me!

#18 ·
Bedlam said:
Waste of your hard earned cash letting a dealer do it (if they know how to)
Yes, my dealer was clearly not interested in doing it, I suspect that he didn't know of your file replacement step, Bedlam. I'm just perplexed that the HERE site doesn't cover it, so anyone who has followed the "official" instructions will have the same result as I did the first time. There's also the warning about having to have Mapcare - I asked my dealer about that and he said to ignore it, just follow the instructions. Well, we know it works, its free and there is actually minimal hassle (apart from the time taken to download and unscramble the files) once you know of the file replacement trick.

#19 ·
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there's somewhere that lists the differences between the version, whats been updated between 0730, 0820, 0915, 1030 etc and do the numbers have a meaning at all ?

#20 ·
@Anteca, do you have a MapCare?
From what I read on different forums, it seems that if you have a MapCare, so the optional 3 years maps updates, you just copy the files over to SD cards and it works.
Copying "overall " file is kind of a hack, and it's only needed when MapCare is not the (this service has to be enabled in the entertainment unit, so it allows you to use downloaded maps).
I'm guessing you don't have that option, that's why you couldn't update the maps in official way. Don't blame Here or Seat, unless you have paid for it, but they forgot to enable it ;)

#21 ·
Felix said:
@Anteca, do you have a MapCare?
From what I read on different forums, it seems that if you have a MapCare, so the optional 3 years maps updates, you just copy the files over to SD cards and it works.
Copying "overall " file is kind of a hack, and it's only needed when MapCare is not the (this service has to be enabled in the entertainment unit, so it allows you to use downloaded maps).
I'm guessing you don't have that option, that's why you couldn't update the maps in official way. Don't blame Here or Seat, unless you have paid for it, but they forgot to enable it ;)
Pretty certain I don't! This was my conversation with my dealer: "How do I update my satnav maps?" "Go to the official site (gave me the address) and download them onto your SD card" "It says I need mapcare, is that included with my car or what?" "You don't need that, just follow the instructions on the site."

So who DO I blame then? Btw, I emailed SEAT as well but never got an answer... Felix, how do you know YOU have Mapcare? Do you have confirmation anywhere in your documentation then?

#23 ·
To be honest I don't know how to check that. Just know you need it to update in an official way, and that you have to copy original overall file if you don't have it.
Ateca WILL be my first car with MapCare, but as I don't have it yet (hopefully next week will...), don't know how to check if you have, or should have it.
Just know I have specified it when ordering, and it is visible as separate option in Seat's ordering system.
If you have any document with all options specified, then it should be there. If it's not, means you don't have it. If it is, means Seat forgot to enable it, and you need to sort it out with dealer and Seat.
If you don't have it specified, then dealer is to blame (for not informing and misguiding you) . If you do, but not working, than Seat :)
But don't blame Here and their instructions, as they are valid only for the cars with MapCare, and they even warn you about this :)

@Bedlam, that explains a lot. I live in Poland, and MapCare is offered here. Price for 3 years of updates is about 50% of the price of single update (including SD card) when you don't have MapCare.
So is buying new SD card with updated maps only option in UK? If so, than they are really sd screwing you guys...

#26 ·
Was a simple question.....I cannot be bothered to scroll back as I am not that interested where in Europe you are to be honest
Would be more helpful if you bothered to add your location in your forum profile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.