Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Winter wheels (and maybe for longer)

11K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Narrowboat Tony 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a set of wheels for the winter in order to add Michelin Crossclimate tyres. I'm on the awkward 215/50/18 tyre size so moving down to 17" for a far wider choice and a better ride. If the ride is significantly better then I may leave the new wheels and tyres on permanently. I will keep the 18" wheels and tyres (with decent tread) in storage in case I decide to give the car back under the PCP deal in two and half years time.

I'm struggling to visualise how aftermarket wheels will look on the Ateca but found these on Mr Winter Wheels:

https://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/17-seat-ateca-2016-on-winter-wheels.html

Any thoughts, views, other recommendations? Original Seat wheels, even second hand, are stupidly expensive.

Thanks

#5 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

I did see the black Mr Winter Wheels on the website. They look smart but I'm probably more a fan of the conventional silver alloys. The website doesn't give many options either.

I also looked on manufacturers websites. Way more options but some language translation issues. My concern with selection was that the Offset varied between different wheels even though I specified the Ateca. I believe it should be 40 but some were showing 38 or 45. I suppose in the overall scheme of things the difference is nominal although I would prefer to stick to original 40 Offset spec for insurance reasons. Any thoughts on that?

Nice finish and colour on those wheels Bike Bert. Helps me visualise 17". Do you have larger wheels for the summer?

Does anyone out there have Michelin Crossclimates on 17" wheels having done a straight swap or come down from 18"? If so, any comments on handling and ride?

Thanks

#6 ·
Hi tobydog,

The offset can be different if you are looking at rims with a different width from standard (eg going from 7" to 7.5") the offset will go up or down to maintain the wheel centre line in the right place for correct suspension geometry. So yep, you have tyre widths to contend with *and* rim width also. >_<

Cheers

#7 ·
I have the black version of the Mrwinterwheels alloys with Continental winter tyres fitted to my Ateca for a few weeks now. My car is the same model as yours and the same colour. I thought the silver colour would make the wheels look a bit undersized so went for black which disguises it quite well. I have the 17'' black alloys with 215/55R17 tyres which is a size smaller than the standard 18'' wheels. I checked with SEAT UK and the sizes that Mrwinterwheels sell are their recommended winter wheel/tyre combinations for this particular model of Ateca. This is important for insurance. I can't wait for it to snow now to try the tyres out but in the cold weather they feel more grippy and they were fine too last weekend when the temperatures were around 12 DegC. The car is actually quieter and the ride is much improved on the higher profile tyres too.

I'll post a picture at the weekend when I get a chance.

#9 ·
I fitted some ET45 17x7.5 aftermarket wheels that I already had. They fit well on the car giving a good stance and the winter tyres would otherwise have been scrapped. Dan at AF (above) may be able to confirm that as long as they are legal and your insurer is happy to accept the modifications you have no insurance worries. SEAT however may take a stricter view because of warranty implications but that doesn't necessarily make fitting non-approved sizes wrong. Just be sensible about what you fit.

#10 ·
hi all,
My new car is about to arrive beg Feb (hopefully). a black Xcellence 1.5 DSG 4x2 Anyway, to save some €€€ I decided to look at online stores for some alloy rims. Here in Switzerland my ATECA dealer is offering the standard SEAT Corp. set for a 17" for almost 1800€, which seems a lot to me comparing with what you guys at UK can get... :(
As BikeBert, I dont want to buy anything that is not the "standard" accepted/recommended by SEAT to avoid any issues with homologation or insurance. Terefore, going for a set of 7.0J x 17" ET 45 rims seems to be the safe thing to do. My only question is: do I need to buy it with the pressure control gauges? do I need to confirm any other technical topic with manufacturer or internet site ( ) before buying them ?

thanks

#12 ·
luiscana said:
hi all,
My new car is about to arrive beg Feb (hopefully). a black Xcellence 1.5 DSG 4x2 Anyway, to save some €€€ I decided to look at online stores for some alloy rims. Here in Switzerland my ATECA dealer is offering the standard SEAT Corp. set for a 17" for almost 1800€, which seems a lot to me comparing with what you guys at UK can get... :(
As BikeBert, I dont want to buy anything that is not the "standard" accepted/recommended by SEAT to avoid any issues with homologation or insurance. Terefore, going for a set of 7.0J x 17" ET 45 rims seems to be the safe thing to do. My only question is: do I need to buy it with the pressure control gauges? do I need to confirm any other technical topic with manufacturer or internet site ( ) before buying them ?

thanks
There are normally some good suppliers in the equipment and accessories hall at Palexpo if you can wait as long as early March for GIM. I'm sure it's the hall closest to the train station. See other replies regarding passive TPMS, but you'll find many possibilities and show offers in that hall.

#14 ·
You can use any wheels that fit the car properly but most tend to drop at least 1" in wheel size and fit slightly higher profile tyres...so if you normally run 225/50 - 18, go for 215/55 -17. It just means that there is slightly more give in the tyre sidewall for the odd occasion where a low speed skid puts you into a kerb, less chance of damaging the rim/tyre. (And tyres are generally cheaper)

#15 ·
We have winter tyres on the wifes Touran and this would be the 7th winter with them but when we decide to part with the Touran I wondered if they can be used on the Ateca, same hub fitting, size is 205-55x16 92H Dunlop Winter Sport 5 . A good tyre by the way.

#16 ·
boristhebold said:
You can use any wheels that fit the car properly but most tend to drop at least 1" in wheel size and fit slightly higher profile tyres...so if you normally run 225/50 - 18, go for 215/55 -17. It just means that there is slightly more give in the tyre sidewall for the odd occasion where a low speed skid puts you into a kerb, less chance of damaging the rim/tyre. (And tyres are generally cheaper)
This I understand I was meaning in general if I can use this kind of wheels without damage in Winter Season coming from salt on the Street etc... I read that these brushed alu wheels are not good for Winter Season because of quicker damage on that. I have summer 215/50 r18 and I will buy the same for Winter I think. I like this kind.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.