The Cup holder issue

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Glendia

The Cup holder issue

Post by Glendia » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:01 pm

Had my Ateca for a year now , few minor issues which the dealer has fixed and overall have really enjoyed the 18k of motoring I have done in it.

However in all this time I haven't yet come up with a solution for the 'passenger coffee cup issue' . Due to the silly design of the cup holders in the car only the driver can place a standard takeaway coffee cup by the armrest. The passenger has to basically hold their cup in their hands/lap.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this e.g. A clip on holder that you can attach to the passenger door somehow. I see lots of products that claim to be universal holders but can anyone recommend one suitable for the Ateca that actually works ?
Seat Ateca Excellence 1.4 DSG with all the toys

matthab

Re: The Cup holder issue

Post by matthab » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:45 pm

Have you tried this? Not tried it my self but not entirely sure why Seat chose that stupid design. Even on my Leon coffee mugs are a tight fit.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3310763831

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:53 pm

I've had my Ateca a week. I HATE the cup holders!

They're in such a stupid place, every time I use it I have to readjust the arm rest.

I even managed to knock a can over in the cup holder the day I got it. So now they're not used anymore.
Ateca 1.6tdi Xcellence Lux DSG in Samoa Orange 8-)

Glendia

Post by Glendia » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:39 pm

matthab wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:45 pm
Have you tried this? Not tried it my self but not entirely sure why Seat chose that stupid design. Even on my Leon coffee mugs are a tight fit.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3310763831

Sadly it seems it isn't compatible , put in my make and model but got this :cry:

This item doesn't fit Seat Ateca 2018 KH7 [2016-2018] SUV SUV 1.4 TSI 1395ccm 150HP 110KW (Petrol).
Seat Ateca Excellence 1.4 DSG with all the toys

vaidu

Post by vaidu » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:58 am

Seriously, if anyone has found some gadget witch would allow passenger to put his cup i would like to know also..
So far this is the most annoying thing in my Ateca.
Desire Red FR 2.0 TSI 190 AG 4Drive Start&Stop DSG

Analoguekid

Post by Analoguekid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:41 am

I like where the cupholders are, i hate having them in front of gearstick, or too close to the gearstick but behind it, means you bump them everytime you change gear.

As for armrest, I just slide mine back, you can leave it elevated and still slide back and forward, and lets face it, you dont need an armrest when having a drink.

As for the deeper holder on passenger side, i ‘aquired’ one of these below from a Ford Kuga, works a treat and both cupholders are pretty much the same height.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FORD ... 3511252548

Billio

Post by Billio » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:49 am

Hi All,

In all my 45 odd years of driving, I have never had or needed a cup of anything in a car. If anything, having a drink is more distracting and dangerous than a touch screen. I think they are a waste of space.

Own up, who has dropped a cup or drunk from it while going along?

Happy motoring

Billio
Excellence 1.4 EcoTSI Rodium Grey, Spare Wheel and Double Floor with Pack 1. Ordered March 8th, picked up 30th June, and it's great.

Analoguekid

Post by Analoguekid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:53 am

Billio wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:49 am
Hi All,

In all my 45 odd years of driving, I have never had or needed a cup of anything in a car. If anything, having a drink is more distracting and dangerous than a touch screen. I think they are a waste of space.

Happy motoring

Billio
Did a 5 hour non stop drive yesterday, having a can of pop or a bottle of water to sip from is essential, I never have hot drinks though, unless stationary, but not for any reason other than I don’t tend to buy coffee flavoured drinks at exhorbitant prices from chain stores.

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:01 am

Analoguekid wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:53 am
Billio wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:49 am
Hi All,

Happy motoring

Billio
Did a 5 hour non stop drive yesterday, having a can of pop or a bottle of water to sip from is essential, I never have hot drinks though, unless stationary, but not for any reason other than I don’t tend to buy coffee flavoured drinks at exhorbitant prices from chain stores.
Exactly! When you drive long distances you need to be able to have a drink with you to sip from.

Although I've now relegated it to only bottles which can fit in the doors. Coffee is going to be more problematic.

I was surprised to find people take actual mugs of tea and coffee into their car whilst driving! That is a stupid thing to do. At least a takeaway coffee has a non spill lid.
My cousins used to do this so much there were hardly any mugs in their house! Their car was full of mugs with manky tea bags festering in them 🤢
Ateca 1.6tdi Xcellence Lux DSG in Samoa Orange 8-)

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:53 pm

I have to agree that the cup/drink holders are annoying. The Ateca was all those years in the design process and they seem to have ended up an afterthought. It's also too far back to take anything out easily with one hand. Almost as annoying as putting the CD player in the glove box so hardly anything else will fit.

The most impressive cup holder I've had was in my 2004 Audi A3. You simply pressed a big button at the top centre of the dashboard and out popped a very clever (if slightly flimsy) mechanism that was perfect for almost all shapes. Even better, if the AC was on, it kept cans nice and cool because it sat in front of the air vents. No need to take your eyes off the road either.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”