The Cup holder issue

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Analoguekid

Re: The Cup holder issue

Post by Analoguekid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:45 pm

The passenger could hold their cup, only a driver really needs one if the car is moving.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:57 pm

Why is it so important to be able to have something to drink in a car? I have never, in my life felt the need to drink anything while driving. If I get thirsty I stop somewhere.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

caveman

Post by caveman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:14 pm

Analoguekid wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:53 am
Billio wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:49 am
Hi All,

In all my 45 odd years of driving, I have never had or needed a cup of anything in a car. If anything, having a drink is more distracting and dangerous than a touch screen. I think they are a waste of space.

Own up, who has dropped a cup or drunk from it while going along?

Happy motoring

Billio
Did a 5 hour non stop drive yesterday, having a can of pop or a bottle of water to sip from is essential, I never have hot drinks though, unless stationary, but not for any reason other than I don’t tend to buy coffee flavoured drinks at exhorbitant prices from chain stores.
Should you be driving for 5 hours non-stop? Do you think that's safe?
1.4 TSi SE Technology manual in Rodium Grey

Analoguekid

Post by Analoguekid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:18 pm

caveman wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:14 pm
Analoguekid wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:53 am
Billio wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:49 am
Hi All,

In all my 45 odd years of driving, I have never had or needed a cup of anything in a car. If anything, having a drink is more distracting and dangerous than a touch screen. I think they are a waste of space.

Own up, who has dropped a cup or drunk from it while going along?

Happy motoring

Billio
Did a 5 hour non stop drive yesterday, having a can of pop or a bottle of water to sip from is essential, I never have hot drinks though, unless stationary, but not for any reason other than I don’t tend to buy coffee flavoured drinks at exhorbitant prices from chain stores.
Should you be driving for 5 hours non-stop? Do you think that's safe?
It was perfectly safe yesterday, if lorry drivers can drive a lorry for 4 hours straight which requires way more concentration, why can’t i drive a car for 5? If i had felt unsafe I would have stopped.

SCBomorse

Post by SCBomorse » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Fred99 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:57 pm
Why is it so important to be able to have something to drink in a car? I have never, in my life felt the need to drink anything while driving. If I get thirsty I stop somewhere.
Because some people don't want the hassle of having to find somewhere to stop and delay their journeys.
Ateca 1.6tdi Xcellence Lux DSG in Samoa Orange 8-)

chickey92

Post by chickey92 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Just buy a bottle/sports cap drink and use the door storage ....

Nikli

Post by Nikli » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:13 am

Seat cup holders have never been great, they were in the same place when I had a 2006 Leon. They were the same size & depth, but a struggle to fit 2 drinks in.

It’s a shame to see it hasn’t changed 12 years on, but just means sometimes my passenger has to hold their drink.

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:27 am

Can't believe some of the comments on here.

1: I very much doubt any cup holder is designed for the driver to drink out of on the move. Whether a hot or cold drink, it's dangerous.

2: For the guy who wants to use the armrest AND drink? I assume you'll have lane assist functionality on whilst doing this otherwise you'd need three hands. :D

3: If I want to store cans or bottles that can't fit in the cupholder, I use the door bins.

4: If I didn't want to use the door bin, I'd use the bin under the armrest.

5: For all those who still complain, perhaps you could suggest where the cupholders are placed because with every car I've been in there's always some issue about placement of cup holders. As for those mechanisms that pop out of the dash like Audi used to have (Surely Saab's was the coolest mechanism!) - that's fine until someone places a can or cup that's too thin and the thing either falls on the floor or spills all over the place. Anyway that's in the past - look at the current day A3... the cup holder location seems worst than the Atecas. Infact I'm not sure if you could fit any travel mug in there.

Bottom line is, whilst it's not illegal to eat or drink whilst driving your car, you could be done for careless driving (driving without undue care and attention or whatever the phraseology is these days). If you're driving five hours and you need a drink, just pull over and have a drink. The restbite would do you no harm either.

Analoguekid

Post by Analoguekid » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:54 pm

Golfmk56 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:27 am
If you're driving five hours and you need a drink, just pull over and have a drink. The restbite would do you no harm either.
If you pull over on a motorway it adds at least 20 mins onto your journey, besides as I have a cup holder it was simple to do, and relatively safe on a straight 3 lane road with light traffic, during my journey had I felt tired or lost concentration then I would have pulled over, but I didn’t and I like where the cup holders are anyway.

I agree with you though about the guy wanting the arm rest in a permanent position and have cup holders, seems a little petulant, he's lucky the arm rest adjusts anyway, what would he do if it was no adjustable like it was in my previous car.

Bedlam

Post by Bedlam » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:03 pm

IMHO 5 hours is too long to drive without a break for a regular motorist (or anyone for that matter)
If you are uconvinced I can let you know my story of 5 months in hospital, 2 in intensive care, a helicoper ride there, being cut out of my car etc. etc.
Although ony a 3 hour return journey (interrupted by a medical incident, I think), but thanks for the 9 points and fine/costs Mr Plod
Ateca 2.0 TDi Xcellence DSG 4Drive in Black Magic, 19" Exclusive Wheels, Top View Camera, Park Assist, Virtual Tailgate Pedal, Heated Windscreen

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”