1.5 Manual at low speeds

All Seat Ateca related discussions
TomMurray

1.5 Manual at low speeds

Post by TomMurray » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi all,

I picked up my car a week ago and have covered a few hundred miles so far. I'm really happy with it, but wanted to check a couple of things with people on the board here.

First I just want a small rant. I ordered an Xcellence MY19 in big part for the Alcantara seats, but it came with leather. The dealer seemed a bit bemused as on the face of it this could be an upgrade, but I don't like leather seats in the summer, too hot. And the Alcantara just looks and feels better. Has anyone else had a MY19 spec Xcellence? Did you have leather? Anyway, rant over for this I should move on.

The main question I have for people here is about the 1.5 (manual) engine at low speeds. I have the equivalent engine (the 1.4) in a 2014 Ibiza and love it, which is why I picked this spec for the Ateca. I know there is a hit to the power with the larger car but I find there is a dead spot in second gear under 10 miles an hour. For example when coming to a junction and not quite stopping, a couple of times I have tried to pull away and the car just does nothing, really struggles for a few seconds then eventually accelerates once it get to 15 or so miles an hour. I only really use first gear if at a complete stop and using it at about 8 miles an hour will be quite a jerky start, but second gear really doesn't work unless you floor the accelerator. Has anyone else noticed this? It is completely different with this engine in the Ibiza - there are no dead spots at all.
MY19 Spec 1.5 TSI Xcellence ordered week 39.
Unconfirmed build date week 47 / Built week 47 / Arrived at dealer week 50 / Picked up week 52

nitrous

Re: 1.5 Manual at low speeds

Post by nitrous » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi TomMurray,

Congratulations and welcome!

I have a 1.4 Xcellence and am *assuming* this is the same situation...

Your issue below 10MPH in second gear is down to the gearing. I believe there's too big a gap between 1st and second, in that 1st is around 2000RPM/10MPH, and 2nd is about 1000RPM/10MH. This means at 10MPH, you're really going too fast to downshift into first, but at 10 in second, you're only doing 1000RPM. These little turbos don't generate much in the way of torque until about 1200-1300revs which means you're in a bit of a boost hole until then..

I find the same accelerating when cold. It feels a bit rough to have to use 2500revs just to get to 1500 in second gear...

That said there are reports of erratic power delivery in low speed, first gear manoeuvres in the 1.5. Maybe there's a mapping issue down below 1000RPM?

Hope you overcome and get to enjoy the otherwise lovely gearbox though.
Cheers

TomMurray

Post by TomMurray » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:49 pm

That is exactly it. Worded much better than I did.

I did have a play and noticed that second gear just takes you to 60 mph. So I wonder if they set them in order to get a better 0-60 time on the books (without changing to third).

I'd much rather have the extra power lower down - if anything it is dangerous if I pull out of a junction expecting power and don't have it. It is set beautifully in the Ibiza. Frustrating though as it is a conscious effort to change driving style to cope.
Unconfirmed build date week 47 / Built week 47 / Arrived at dealer week 50 / Picked up week 52

nitrous

Post by nitrous » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:24 pm

The good news is now you're *keenly* aware of the issue and it'll be worth slowing a bit and catching first for a fast getaway. ;-)
I'm super impressed how fast the Ateca gets through first gear! And I totally agree it (second gear ratio) was probably done expressly for a 'paper' 0-60 time, because 8.4/5 sec (or whatever it is) is superb for a 1.4 or 1.5L SUV.

Enjoy, and good luck with your Alcantara seat issue.

Cheers!

Analoguekid

Post by Analoguekid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:48 pm

Mine came with Leather, but that was because I ordered a 2018MY that had leather as standard, so I ended up with the options for thst, plus the new ones for MY19 (park assist, heated screen and ACC. I wonder if you have been allocated a MY18 cancelled order as someone decided they didn’t want to wait.

You could reject the car I suppose, while I like Alcantara, its not practicle in a company car for me, I live in mine monday to friday and leather copes with spills, dropped sandwiches etc better in a 30k miles a year car.
TomMurray wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:13 pm
Hi all,

I picked up my car a week ago and have covered a few hundred miles so far. I'm really happy with it, but wanted to check a couple of things with people on the board here.

First I just want a small rant. I ordered an Xcellence MY19 in big part for the Alcantara seats, but it came with leather. The dealer seemed a bit bemused as on the face of it this could be an upgrade, but I don't like leather seats in the summer, too hot. And the Alcantara just looks and feels better. Has anyone else had a MY19 spec Xcellence? Did you have leather? Anyway, rant over for this I should move on.

The main question I have for people here is about the 1.5 (manual) engine at low speeds. I have the equivalent engine (the 1.4) in a 2014 Ibiza and love it, which is why I picked this spec for the Ateca. I know there is a hit to the power with the larger car but I find there is a dead spot in second gear under 10 miles an hour. For example when coming to a junction and not quite stopping, a couple of times I have tried to pull away and the car just does nothing, really struggles for a few seconds then eventually accelerates once it get to 15 or so miles an hour. I only really use first gear if at a complete stop and using it at about 8 miles an hour will be quite a jerky start, but second gear really doesn't work unless you floor the accelerator. Has anyone else noticed this? It is completely different with this engine in the Ibiza - there are no dead spots at all.

TomMurray

Post by TomMurray » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:26 pm

That is what the dealer tried to say, but my order form specifically said "MY19" specification. I have everything the MY19 spec should have, the only 'extra' from the MY18 Xcellence are the seats and the winter pack (which I guess comes with the seats for the heated seats).

You say you have 'the options from' the MY18 - what are they? I can't see anything in the MY18 Xcellence that isn't in the MY19 apart from seats & winter pack.

I can see how this is an upgrade to many others, but not to me. I even paid extra to have alcantara in my other car!

I could have rejected the car, but would have had to wait for a new one to be built, so I'm gonna have to live with it. Already disliking the first 2 min of a winter drive before the seats heat up (and the point 5 min in when it gets too hot and sweaty). Will be grumbling even more in the summer when I am wearing shorts.

I'd genuinely have order the FR if I'd known it was coming with leather.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:21 pm

If they had designed it for the acceleration times it would be even worse as the normal measurement now is 0-100kph which is just over 62 mph.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

GRS18

Post by GRS18 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi and welcome. I took delivery of my 1.5 Xcellence on 21 December. It has the alcantara facings and (what is described as) leather sides and backs to the seating. To confirm it is MY19, it has the heated widescreen, parking sensors all round and ACC. I am pleased with the car, I do have the cold start kangaroo affect but am adapting to that. Hope this helps.
Nevada White 1.5 TSI EVO Xcellence, Space Saver Wheel, Boot Floor Mat, Rear Bumper Protection, Aftermarket Double Boot floor.

jaybmouth

Post by jaybmouth » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:58 pm

I've had my car a week and this 'issue' with 1st and 2nd gear is exactly what I have been experienced.

It just doesn't seem right to me, especially with some jerkiness in 1st at times.

It also makes poses a challenge at times. I circle up 9 car park floors at work and 1st or 2nd gear don't seem to cope well with this incline / speed combination.

Analoguekid

Post by Analoguekid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:56 pm

The MY 18 spec extras not in MY19 model was indeed heated leather sports seats and winter pack.

If your order form says MY19 then insist they either remove the seats and replace with Alcantara, or they order you what you asked for, and you want to keep the current one until new becomes available or you want something equivelent, you have been delivered something that is not what you orderec or sugned a contract for, dont talk to salesman ask to see dealer principle and get it sorted, but be wuick you have 30 days from day after delivery to get the most out of Consumer Rights Act 2015.
TomMurray wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:26 pm
That is what the dealer tried to say, but my order form specifically said "MY19" specification. I have everything the MY19 spec should have, the only 'extra' from the MY18 Xcellence are the seats and the winter pack (which I guess comes with the seats for the heated seats).

You say you have 'the options from' the MY18 - what are they? I can't see anything in the MY18 Xcellence that isn't in the MY19 apart from seats & winter pack.

I can see how this is an upgrade to many others, but not to me. I even paid extra to have alcantara in my other car!

I could have rejected the car, but would have had to wait for a new one to be built, so I'm gonna have to live with it. Already disliking the first 2 min of a winter drive before the seats heat up (and the point 5 min in when it gets too hot and sweaty). Will be grumbling even more in the summer when I am wearing shorts.

I'd genuinely have order the FR if I'd known it was coming with leather.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”