1.5 Manual at low speeds

All Seat Ateca related discussions
dasalias

Re: 1.5 Manual at low speeds

Post by dasalias » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:47 am

TomMurray wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:13 pm

The main question I have for people here is about the 1.5 (manual) engine at low speeds. I have the equivalent engine (the 1.4) in a 2014 Ibiza and love it, which is why I picked this spec for the Ateca. I know there is a hit to the power with the larger car but I find there is a dead spot in second gear under 10 miles an hour. For example when coming to a junction and not quite stopping, a couple of times I have tried to pull away and the car just does nothing, really struggles for a few seconds then eventually accelerates once it get to 15 or so miles an hour. I only really use first gear if at a complete stop and using it at about 8 miles an hour will be quite a jerky start, but second gear really doesn't work unless you floor the accelerator. Has anyone else noticed this? It is completely different with this engine in the Ibiza - there are no dead spots at all.
My 1.4 TSI behaves exactly the same. I came from a 1.4 TSI Skoda Octavia and no such problem existed. The acceleration with the Skoda was like your Ibiza - no dead spots at all and lightning quick for a 1.4 TSI. This is the only disappointment I have with my Ateca. It was a bit disconcerting at first, but I learnt to live with it and changed my driving style to suit.
Reflex Silver 1.4 TSI Xcellence, Driving Assistance Pack 2, Xcellence Pack, Double Floor, Front & Rear Mudflaps, Space Saver Spare.

nitrous

Post by nitrous » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:19 am

Fred99 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:21 pm
If they had designed it for the acceleration times it would be even worse as the normal measurement now is 0-100kph which is just over 62 mph.
I think it'll do 62MPH in second at the limiter. I doubt it would do an 8.5 second 0-62 with two gear changes.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:02 am

Yes, but you are using the speedo reading which will always be optimistic. Proper road tests use timing equipment.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

r_l

Post by r_l » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:11 pm

I too have the 'kangaroo' effect for the first minute or so after starting off. As to the lack of power when pulling out from a junction etc., I have learnt to boost the revs in order to pull out safely. I had a similar problem in my previous Audi A4 Avant (October 2016, 1.4 petrol manual) - if you tried to pull out in 2nd gear at 5-10 mph you would get nowhere. Apart from that, the Ateca is mainly very good. I have only had it 2 weeks (ex-demonstrator). Bit disappointed with the fuel consumption at the moment, though, and the radio reception.

Xcellence 1.5 2wd Lava Blue

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”