Spare wheel or not

All Seat Ateca related discussions
Goldstones2

Spare wheel or not

Post by Goldstones2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:17 pm

Just got xcellence lux which does not come with a spare wheel. Is it worth getting one (£180) or is it a complete waste of money?

leWrat

Re: Spare wheel or not

Post by leWrat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Some people are happy to take the risk that any likely tire damage that they get can be fixed by the goo/gunk, whilst others prefer to know that regardless of the tire damage they can swap it out for the spare and continue with their journey (albeit maybe a bit slower than before).
I would add that I think that you can only repair a tire once with the goo meaning that you should probably replace that "repaired" tire at your earliest opportunity.

My experience is that I have only once had a side wall damaged, but I have had more than one repairable puncture in the same tire on several tires.
In both cases I was able to use the spare wheel to continue my journey and later go to the tire shop to replace the tire (for the first case) and get the tires repaired (for the second cases).
So for me it is well worth my peace of mind and also a cash saving to have the spare tire.
MY19 Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 in Rhodium Grey with spacesaver wheel.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:53 pm

Given how useful a spare tyre could be, I don’t think it could ever be regarded as a complete waste of money. From what I’ve been told, those goo kits don’t always work properly anyway. Given that we go on holiday to the Lake District each year, there is no way I would want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere waiting for a recovery vehicle. That presumes I was able to contact them in the first place (poor signal).

The decision was also easier for me given that I went for the Seat Sound which needs the spare wheel to house the sub-woofer.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 am

My personal view is if you tow a caravan and you destroy one of your CAR tyres, you can get yourself up and away quickly.
Black 190 DSG Excellence

Brenngun

Post by Brenngun » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:06 pm

I've had the goo on other cars and its the position of the puncture that dictates whether it works or not. Even when it does work it knackers the tyre so what could have been a £20 fix results in a new tyre. I've had the car for 2 weeks and am just going to put a post on about the best place to get a spacesaver....
MY19 + 1.5 Evo Man + Xcellence Lux + Lava Blue

BrianG

Post by BrianG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Got mine from the Lincoln dealership shop, comes complete with the tools, plastic foam surrounds, large screw down and the wheel. Didn’t want the wheel just lying in the boot.

http://www.seatpartsshop.co.uk/category ... its,b.html
2.0 FR, Velvet Red, 4Drive, Space saver spare & working rear view camera...

TomMurray

Post by TomMurray » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:49 pm

£120 optional extra to anyone buying new. In my experience it is well worth it.

Blow/rip the tyre and foam is useless leaving you stranded. You'll need breakdown to tow you to a garage, you won't be able to shop around for a good price for a tyre.

Get a puncture where you can use the foam and you can't drive it as long or as far as you can on a space saver, so you are again at the mercy of walk up prices for a new tyre. You then need to buy replacement foam.

Have two punctures and you have spent more cash than buying a spare, plus a whole load extra headache and hassle. Most of us with Atecas have kids - nobody wants to be stuck at the side of the road with kids.
MY19 Spec 1.5 TSI Xcellence ordered week 39.
Unconfirmed build date week 47 / Built week 47 / Arrived at dealer week 50 / Picked up week 52

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:23 pm

If you didn't order it from the factory, ask your supplying dealer for a discount. I asked for, and got 15% off.

Alternatively, source one from eBay. I almost did.
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue.

Fully loaded:
Adaptive Cruise Control, Digital Cockpit, Top View, Lane Assist, Park Assist, Traffic Jam Assist, High Beam Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition, Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert

ghdarwen

Post by ghdarwen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:36 pm

I have done the same as BrianG and it had 10% off. Not too bad as it came with foam insert for just a little more than ebay one. Fits perfectly only needing to transfer little hook thingy and put the tow eyelet under the nut wrench. Its more for peace of mind, hope to never use.
Ateca XCELLENCE Lux 1.5 TSI EVO 150 PS 6-speed manual Rhodium Grey Jan 2019, added spare wheel after arrival.

Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 am

Mine is a 4WD, so the kit is more expensive and came with a new boot floor, foam inserts, a jack and associated tools.
Xcellence 2.0 TDI 190 DSG 4Drive in Lava Blue.

Fully loaded:
Adaptive Cruise Control, Digital Cockpit, Top View, Lane Assist, Park Assist, Traffic Jam Assist, High Beam Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition, Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”