I am at breaking point

All Seat Ateca related discussions
ChrisM

I am at breaking point

Post by ChrisM » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:47 pm

I love my Ateca dearly but the attitude of SEAT and the dealership are starting to sour our relationship.

My Sat-Nav software is dated 2016 - I bought the car in 2017. The maps are clearly out of date. I contacted SEAT, their Customer Services (sic) told me that they had no information about parts and accessories so I was to contact my local dealer. I contacted the dealership - the main people - they told me that the system is "re-mapped" every 2 years! I went back to SEAT and said that this was ridiculous, they said they were "sorry I was disappointed and they appreciated me taking the time to email them as customer feedback helps them improve their product". I replied to this saying that I was very unhappy with their response and their failure to properly address my concerns. I asked them to seek out who in SEAT could give me a definitive answer and ask them to give me that information. They replied to say that they were "sorry I was disappointed and they appreciated me taking the time to email them as customer feedback helps them improve their product".

The car went in for its 2nd year service today at the dealers - when I booked it in I asked for the sat nav to be updated. I was told that this involved me purchasing a new SD card for £120. I agreed. But then this morning they showed me an email from SEAT/VAG HQ saying that there is no update for my vehicle and will not be one for the foreseeable future.

So my sat-nav software is three years old and really not fit for purpose.
I have tried downloading the updates following all the excellent advice on this Forum but it wouldn't work for me.
I don't want to use a third-party device or my mobile phone - I want what I've paid for to work properly.

Can anyone tell me who at SEAT I can contact who will give me a straightforward and HONEST answer to this problem? Customer Services are hopeless - either they don't know and won't find out or they have a deliberate policy of not being at all helpful!

ChillCupra

Re: I am at breaking point

Post by ChillCupra » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:02 pm

Do a search on here. You can update it for free. Mine has the latest 2018 maps.

Techno

Post by Techno » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:14 pm

Try to update it yourself again, I did mine and a friend’s last week without issue.

Copy it all to a pc first, and follow the instructions on this site.
”Becca” is a Rhodium Grey 2.0tsi 4drive DSG XCELLENCE Lux
Additional sunroof and spare wheel. TSR enabled by ODBeleven.
Ordered early December 18 collected 1/3/19

Golfmk56

Post by Golfmk56 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:02 am

Not sure why you're dealing with SEAT UK because this has nothing to do with them. Yes I know you think it does, most people do, but it hasn't. The only people you should be contacting at this stage is the dealership you purchased the car from.

First of all have you followed the instructions on the SEAT website? It's there for customers benefit.

https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/nav ... ateca.html

It gives you the file to update and instructions how to do it.

(In this case, my advice would not to attempt an update via what ever you've been advised on the forum - if the upgrade goes tits-up, then it just gives SEAT an excuse).

If for any reason you are unable to do this, then contact your supplying dealer. If they too say you're system is out-of-date then write to the dealer principal and ask for a solution. When you purchase such a new car, it's plainly obvious the SAT NAV should be provided with updates for a reasonable time ( at least 5 years from it's manufacture ). If they've sold you a system which was effectively already out-of-date, then that is clearly mis-selling a product / it's not fit-for-purpose.

I doubt very much what they are saying is correct and that your system can indeed be updated, but if your supplying dealership say it cannot, then insist the whole navigation unit be replaced by one which is fit for purpose. If they won't do that then inform them you'll have the work carried out at another SEAT dealership and claim the full cost of the upgrade against the supplying dealer via small claim court if necessary. At that point you may wish to cc SEAT UK.

By the way, it's no point it having an individual's name as a contact - even if your letter were to find it's way to them, they'll simply refer it back to customer services. Best you can hope for is a reply from head of customer services.

Some dealerships clearly don't know their products.

Techno

Post by Techno » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 am

My understanding is this only works as a download if you have Map care, a European option.

I needed to copy (backup) current maps folder from SD to folder on pc/laptop.
Delete folder on SD
Copy maps folder from download to SD card.
Then crucially copy from your backup this file
MAPS/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS to replace the same file on your SD card.
”Becca” is a Rhodium Grey 2.0tsi 4drive DSG XCELLENCE Lux
Additional sunroof and spare wheel. TSR enabled by ODBeleven.
Ordered early December 18 collected 1/3/19

Bedlam

Post by Bedlam » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:09 am

Please be aware that the download available at https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/nav ... ateca.html does not cover the whole of Western Europe (it is only 6GB) and has since been updated by VAG with an updated file (of 13GB).
That file is available at https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... download#/
Once there select:-
1. Tiguan 2017
2. DISCOVER MEDIA
3. European Countries – Bundle 1 (the left hand one)
4. Download
Once downloaded perform the steps outlined above by @Techno
It may be of interest to know that the update is reversable by reverting to the backup you took (which you should retain)
Ateca 2.0 TDi Xcellence DSG 4Drive in Black Magic, 19" Exclusive Wheels, Top View Camera, Park Assist, Virtual Tailgate Pedal, Heated Windscreen

ChillCupra

Post by ChillCupra » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:30 pm

You need to get a grip if your at breaking point over maps been out of date.

AndyE14

Post by AndyE14 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:24 pm

Why aren’t you using Waze like most of us in the 21st century? Who would use a static out of date (and they always are) sat Nav rather than a modern cloud based service. I say that having paid £1000 extra for sat Nav + too
2.0L 190 PS 4WD DSG, Rodium grey, heated windscreen, panoramic sunroof, xcellence pack, advanced driving & comfort pack plus 2, navigation system plus pack, electric drivers seat, boot divider net.

Sash

Post by Sash » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 pm

AndyE14 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:24 pm
Why aren’t you using Waze like most of us in the 21st century? Who would use a static out of date (and they always are) sat Nav rather than a modern cloud based service. I say that having paid £1000 extra for sat Nav + too
Most of us? There are about 50m drivers in UK and about 2m Waze users. That is 4%.

alexateca2018

Post by alexateca2018 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 pm

I’ve made this point elsewhere but I paid over £30k for my car and got an out of date sat nav. That’s not fair!
I use my old Tom Tom which is updated FREE every three months.
I think SEAT should update the in-car equipment as regularly and freely .... but they won’t !!
Ateca 2L Petrol Xcellence DSG 4Drive in Rhodium Grey, Collected June 2018, (Extras: Heated windscreen and spare wheel)

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”