Anyone done any chip tuning?

All Seat Ateca related discussions
ChillCupra

Anyone done any chip tuning?

Post by ChillCupra » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:11 am

Just wondered if anyone has and do they recommend it. I have had remaps on previous Seats but not for a long time. I have done a search and there is a few bits about it. I also understand the warranty issues and i always update my insurance.

Neil71

Re: Anyone done any chip tuning?

Post by Neil71 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 am

Hi ChillCupra,
I have a RaceChip tuning box fitted to my 150 diesel and it has made a slight difference. Up to now I have only increased the supplied setting by 1 but I haven't been out much in my Ateca to see the full advantage.
I have been offered a deal to get the engine remapped at ReMap Aberdeen and these are the figures they are quoting me:
origina BHP 150
tuned BHP 195
increase of 45 BHP (30%)
original torque (Nm) 320
tuned torque (Nm) 430
increase of 110 Nm torque (34%)
They have a deal on at the moment for £200.
I asked about my car still being under warranty and they have stated the following:
"It is unlikely they can see what we have done, but if you any concerns about the warranty do not have it done."
I'm very tempted as these power gains would make a huge difference.
What I can't understand is that the DSG gets more BHP than the manual even although it's the same engine.
2.0tdi 150 4Drive EXCELLENCE, LAVA BLUE, 19", Panoramic

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:50 am

Neil - out of curiosity, what did your insurance company say about the RaceChip upgrade? How did it impact your premiums? It would be interesting to see how they would view the sizeable ReMap Aberdeen upgrade. Maybe it doesn't make a big difference given that the BHP is still very manageable. Also, when a main dealer plugs the car into their system at service time, wouldn't it throw up an Error code if the car has additional third party software on board? Just need to be careful of the chipping company's wiggle words about it being unlikely to be found.
Ordered March 20, 2017: 1.4TSI Xcellence manual in Rodium Grey. Extras - heated screen, SEAT Sound / Spare Wheel. Delivered and picked up on June 22, 2017 :D

silent ninja

Post by silent ninja » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Why chip an SUV? Serious question. Chipping is about out and out performance, and whichever way you look at it you're putting additional stress on the car and it's parts contrary to the way it was designed and engineered. VW's £billions spent on R&D and production process versus a local indy outfit of 4 people?

Indy's are usually very helpful but they do talk beyond their capacity sometimes and in my opinion they don't know as much about a car's capabilities compared to the OEM. As long as they make the drawbacks clear, I guess it's fine but make no mistake manufacturers don't sell cars with redundant capability. Car manufacturing and supply chain cost/performance is razor sharp and mature. It's highly competitive - SEAT would rather give you 40 extra horses if it costs nothing or engineer their product down to save cost.

Neil71

Post by Neil71 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:39 pm

Tobydog, my insurance premium went up by £32.00 for the remainder of my insurance which was around 10 months left. I think most of the £32.00 was administration costs. It probably didn't rise much due to the fact the the engine is factory detuned for the manual gearbox and the RaceChip tuning box probably takes it up nearer to the DSG horse power.
I am wary of getting a remap due to my car being under manufacturers warranty and as you say the remap company are covering themselves by saying "unlikely".
The 2.0tdi 150 manual's power is okay but not exciting. I was going to go for the DSG but my wife insisted on a manual gearbox, she drives the car much more than I do and she prefers the manual, I have heard her say that she wishes the Ateca had a bit more oomph.
Our last car was an Insignia 167BHP but I had a RaceChip box in that and it was probably nearer 195BHP with the box fitted and that car could shift when you wanted it to.
2.0tdi 150 4Drive EXCELLENCE, LAVA BLUE, 19", Panoramic

ChillCupra

Post by ChillCupra » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:32 pm

Neil71 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 am
Hi ChillCupra,
I have a RaceChip tuning box fitted to my 150 diesel and it has made a slight difference. Up to now I have only increased the supplied setting by 1 but I haven't been out much in my Ateca to see the full advantage.
I have been offered a deal to get the engine remapped at ReMap Aberdeen and these are the figures they are quoting me:
origina BHP 150
tuned BHP 195
increase of 45 BHP (30%)
original torque (Nm) 320
tuned torque (Nm) 430
increase of 110 Nm torque (34%)
They have a deal on at the moment for £200.
I asked about my car still being under warranty and they have stated the following:
"It is unlikely they can see what we have done, but if you any concerns about the warranty do not have it done."
I'm very tempted as these power gains would make a huge difference.
What I can't understand is that the DSG gets more BHP than the manual even although it's the same engine.
Thanks for the reply. That’s the chip I’m considering. I belive there is a difference in the 150 and 190 engines. Bigger turbo at least.

fenrik

Post by fenrik » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Have a FR 2.0 190hp tsi, running a JB4, map2, runs great no regrets.
Recommend it to anyone!!!

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:11 pm

The potential for uprating these engines is huge. SEAT have just announced an upgrade to the Leon 2.0 tsi Cupra STR estate of an additional 69bhp for only €500 pushing it to 365bhp
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Techno

Post by Techno » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:08 pm

fenrik wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:32 pm
Have a FR 2.0 190hp tsi, running a JB4, map2, runs great no regrets.
Recommend it to anyone!!!
What is the hp now?
”Becca” is a Rhodium Grey 2.0tsi 4drive DSG XCELLENCE Lux
Additional sunroof and spare wheel. TSR enabled by ODBeleven.
Ordered early December 18 collected 1/3/19

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi,
If anyone ever needs any help with insurance for a chip, re-map or tuning boxing then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”